Post Purchase Inspection ... 2007 Dynasty

OK ... I need some advise. I'm scheduled for a post purchase inspection this Thursday, at a Dealership, that sold me this 2007 coach on consignment. I do have direct contact with the previous owner, who is very helpful and fairly comfortably knowledgable. I feel good about the purchase after many visits and test drives. I did have them realign the front end and gave them a typical list of pre-delivery squawk items. I expect all pressures and fluid levels and systems to function. Clean batteries and serviced to specs, lube steps, awnings, slide-outs. Flush and sanitize all three water tanks, (blk, grey, fresh).  Attached is a marketing sheet from the PO. Throw it out there! I need pre-buy gotchas! I know the list can be long and arduous so don't expect it to be perfect.  Already have new tail-lights, headlights ready to install. Help!?

-Jeff 

Dynasty Sales Sheet.pdf IMG_2962 3.HEIC

10 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Sanitize the grey / black tanks 😁?

Hope your not paying them to do that!

They are waste tanks! They will never be sanitized!! 

Thanks…that helped. 

28 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I assume this has the 400 hp pre-DEF engine?  Those early  07 engines can be troublesome as they had not completely figured out the DEF stuff yet. 

Pre - Def

2 hours ago, FlynPirate said:

OK ... I need some advise. I'm scheduled for a post purchase inspection this Thursday, at a Dealership, that sold me this 2007 coach on consignment. I do have direct contact with the previous owner, who is very helpful and fairly comfortably knowledgable. I feel good about the purchase after many visits and test drives. I did have them realign the front end and gave them a typical list of pre-delivery squawk items. I expect all pressures and fluid levels and systems to function. Clean batteries and serviced to specs, lube steps, awnings, slide-outs. Flush and sanitize all three water tanks, (blk, grey, fresh).  Attached is a marketing sheet from the PO. Throw it out there! I need pre-buy gotchas! I know the list can be long and arduous so don't expect it to be perfect.  Already have new tail-lights, headlights ready to install. Help!?

-Jeff 

Dynasty Sales Sheet.pdf 325.5 kB · 16 downloads IMG_2962 3.HEIC 2.94 MB · 13 downloads

Using Cummins Insite software, get a report (about 50 pages) including a copy of the engine abuse history report and inactive check/stop engine history.  This will tell you if the engine ever overheated or is running hot and when. It will also tell you how the previous owners used the engine brake vs service brakes.  This report will give you a pretty good idea of any engine problems and how the coach has been driven from day one.

• Like 1

This looks like a beautiful coach.  Expect to spend a fair amount of time and money bringing it back up to speed.  

Unless this dealership is extraordinary, don't expect anything they do to be correct (or done at all).   Check and verify everything!  

If all three A/C units were replaced look at the thermostats.  A Monaco coach with 3 air conditioners (42' and longer) will have two thermostats.  If new, they should have 10 buttons, not five.  Also check to see if they have the heat pump option.  

Check all tire date codes.  A new set will cost $4-6k.  Check the shocks (all 10) to see if they look new.

Check the Valid leveling system.  The first chance you get, park the coach and level it.  Then let it sit overnight to see if it maintains level.

Check the driver's side front slide out locks.  One front, and one on the back of the slide out.  The levers should move up and down freely with the slide extended.

Check the refrigerator carefully and the ice maker if so equipped.   

Check all the dash gauges.  I wouldn't bother checking the satellite dish as they are outdated.  You can check the TV's and electronics, but they are easily replaced.  

Take oil samples from the engine, transmission, and generator and have them analyzed.  

Run the generator and have it power all three A/C units simultaneously.  

Check the Magnum inverter while running the generator to make sure it's charging the house batteries.  If it's a residential refrigerator it will have a pure sine wave inverter.  

Does it have the Aqua Hot option?  If so, check both the diesel burner and the electric heat element.

Check the side door and all the basement doors to see if they lock and unlock with the key.  Make sure the front door keypad locks and unlocks the front door and the basement doors (you'll need the codes).  There should be two remote Trimark key fobs for it.  By this point most are lost.  The driver's side front electrical door and the right rear battery door will have cylindrical locks.  Make sure you get the keys.  Also, you'll want the key to the fuel tank door.  

Check the dash A/C system to see if it blows cold air.  

Download the Owner's manual and brochure and have them ready if any questions come up.  Monaco RV Service & Repairs - Monaco Coach

This list should get you started.  

I wish you all the best on your new adventure!  

Edited by vito.a
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, vito.a said:

This looks like a beautiful coach.  Expect to spend a fair amount of time and money bringing it back up to speed.  

Unless this dealership is extraordinary, don't expect anything they do to be correct (or done at all).   Check and verify everything!  

If all three A/C units were replaced look at the thermostats.  A Monaco coach with 3 air conditioners (42' and longer) will have two thermostats.  If new, they should have 10 buttons, not five.  Also check to see if they have the heat pump option.  

Check all tire date codes.  A new set will cost $4-6k.  Check the shocks (all 10) to see if they look new.

Check the Valid leveling system.  The first chance you get, park the coach and level it.  Then let it sit overnight to see if it maintains level.

Check the driver's side front slide out locks.  One front, and one on the back of the slide out.  The levers should move up and down freely with the slide extended.

Check all the dash gauges.  I wouldn't bother checking the satellite dish as they are outdated.  You can check the TV's and electronics, but they are easily replaced.  

Take oil samples from the engine, transmission, and generator and have them analyzed.  

Check the Magnum inverter while running the generator to make sure it's charging the house batteries.  If it's a residential refrigerator it will have a pure sine wave inverter.  

Does it have the Aqua Hot option?  If so, check both the diesel burner and the electric heat element.

Check the side door and all the basement doors to see if they lock and unlock with the key.  Make sure the front door keypad locks and unlocks the front door and the basement doors (you'll need the codes).  There should be two remote Trimark key fobs for it.  By this point most are lost.  The driver's side front electrical door and the right rear battery door will have cylindrical locks.  Make sure you get the keys.  Also, you'll want the key to the fuel tank door.  

Download the Owner's manual and brochure and have them ready if any questions come up.  Monaco RV Service & Repairs - Monaco Coach

Excellent checklist Vito…thanks. Some of this I’ve already checked, others I haven’t. I’m on it! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vito.a said:

@FlynPirate,

In addition to the content @vito.a mentioned above, also perform the following services:

- Replace Allison Transmission fluid and filters

- Replace Engine Oil and filter

- Replace Generator Oil and filter

- Grease the chassis and use the correct grease for each fitting (i.e. tacky red for steering fittings, chassis manufacturer recommended grease for all of the other fittings)

-Check the engine air filter vacuum pressure and replace the filter if the vacuum pressure indicates

- Replace the engine coolant  

- Replace the generator coolant

- Adjust the generator valve lash if the generator has more than 1000 hours 

- Change the differential oil if the coach has over 100,000 miles

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CAT Stephen said:

@FlynPirate,

In addition to the content @vito.a mentioned above, also perform the following services:

- Replace Allison Transmission fluid and filters

- Replace Engine Oil and filter

- Replace Generator Oil and filter

- Grease the chassis and use the correct grease for each fitting (i.e. tacky red for steering fittings, chassis manufacturer recommended grease for all of the other fittings)

-Check the engine air filter vacuum pressure and replace the filter if the vacuum pressure indicates

- Replace the engine coolant  

- Replace the generator coolant

- Adjust the generator valve lash if the generator has more than 1000 hours 

- Change the differential oil if the coach has over 100,000 miles

Thanks Stephen!

On 7/30/2024 at 8:05 PM, FlynPirate said:

-Jeff 

Dynasty Sales Sheet.pdf 325.5 kB · 63 downloads IMG_2962 3.HEIC 2.94 MB · 63 downloads

Congrats, a couple things I can think of

Check drivers front slide bottom as the plastic shoes on bottom of slide degrade. There should be one on each end of the bottom of the slide. 

Electronic control for hydraulic fan controller. Notorious for failing and engine fan runs wide open all the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grey Goose said:

Electronic control for hydraulic fan controller. Notorious for failing and engine fan runs wide open all the time. 

I second that. When the engine is cold and you first start it up the fan should be at a fairly low rpm not wide open. I had this problem when I first purchased my Dynasty and it’s pricey to fix

• Like 1

Wow, tons of great information here, I feel blessed. I probably need to do my Allison maintenance.

My bit of info would be this, get hands on with this post inspection As you know, every one of these rigs is different and learning the systems and maintenance will allow you to self-rescue or possibly save you money on repairs.

On 7/30/2024 at 11:15 PM, Frank McElroy said:

Using Cummins Insite software, get a report (about 50 pages) including a copy of the engine abuse history report and inactive check/stop engine history.  This will tell you if the engine ever overheated or is running hot and when. It will also tell you how the previous owners used the engine brake vs service brakes.  This report will give you a pretty good idea of any engine problems and how the coach has been driven from day one.

Hey Frank ... is this a report I can download? I see the Insite software as extremely expensive to buy. Can a service center run the report for me cheaper. 

Thanks for the recommendation ... 

1 hour ago, FlynPirate said:

Hey Frank ... is this a report I can download? I see the Insite software as extremely expensive to buy. Can a service center run the report for me cheaper. 

Thanks for the recommendation ... 

Any Cummins dealer or a repair shop with the Cummins Insite software can generate a pdf report.  If they don't know how to do it, ask them to send you the EIF file that automatically is generated then they connect to your engine ECM and I'll generate the report for you.

14 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

Any Cummins dealer or a repair shop with the Cummins Insite software can generate a pdf report.  If they don't know how to do it, ask them to send you the EIF file that automatically is generated then they connect to your engine ECM and I'll generate the report for you.

Understood…that clarifies it. Thanks Frank! 

4 minutes ago, FlynPirate said:

Understood…that clarifies it. Thanks Frank! 

Actually that EIF file will contain an amazing amount of engine history.  It's like an electronic engine log on an airplane.  It electronically logs everything including how the coach was driven, all the software updates, how often service and engine brakes were used, the speed history of how the coach was driven, and any engine abuse history (over temp, over rev, low oil pressure). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

Actually that EIF file will contain an amazing amount of engine history.  It's like an electronic engine log on an airplane.  It electronically logs everything including how the coach was driven, all the software updates, how often service and engine brakes were used, the speed history of how the coach was driven, and any engine abuse history (over temp, over rev, low oil pressure). 

Thats very nice… I take delivery today and will schedule this ASAP. If I had known, I’d of required the report prior to purchase. Love and learn. 

Just now, FlynPirate said:

Thats very nice… I take delivery today and will schedule this ASAP. If I had known, I’d of required the report prior to purchase. Love and learn. 

Live

2 hours ago, FlynPirate said:

Live

It would be a good idea to keep a copy of this report. It will have all the drive train info and a number of other operational settings relating to how the cruise control is configured, transmission shift points, differential gear ratio, tire size and depending on the engine model, the fuel injector calibration codes.  This would come in handy should your engine ECM ever fail and the technician can't read the parameter setting file to program a replacement ECM.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 8:18 AM, Grey Goose said:

Congrats, a couple things I can think of

Check drivers front slide bottom as the plastic shoes on bottom of slide degrade. There should be one on each end of the bottom of the slide. 

There is a current topic on this.  The FIX as well as PREVENTING was to flip upside down the controller.  NOW I think that was for a comtroller with the harness on the TOP. Moisture gets in. The member (RIP 06 Dynasty), removed it and sprayed it.  WD-40 is the NASA approved Water Displacement spray.  Follow up with CRC Electronics cleaner and then reassemble and turn it so the Pigtail is down.

Thats my memory.  It fixed his.

1 hour ago, Frank McElroy said:

It would be a good idea to keep a copy of this report. It will have all the drive train info and a number of other operational settings relating to how the cruise control is configured, transmission shift points, differential gear ratio, tire size and depending on the engine model, the fuel injector calibration codes.  This would come in handy should your engine ECM ever fail and the technician can't read the parameter setting file to program a replacement ECM.

Frank scanned mine.  It snitched and said I had broke 80.  Seriously I drive with cruise set on 63 and in economy.  I do occasionally pass and remember seeing 75 once or twice….but less than a minute total.  Whom am I to argue with BIG BROTHER.

Had a buddy who’s ECU FRIED when he shut down at a CG. Next morning SILENCE.  MOBILE tech had the “try me” ECM.  ENGINE RAN….THAT’S what its used for. Brought the 2008 ECM Programmed for his Navigator.  Opps.  Need the Monaco parameters.  He panicked.  Called our buddy who was the HR GM of dealership that sold it to him.

WHAT AM I GONNA DO.  Tech say…probably drive it but all sorts of things like cruise will be funky. Then the ex GM said…CALL TOM.  He “knows” folks that know these rigs better than my former senior techs.  Caught Frank.  He started looking.  I was on phone to Tech with some info and insight.  Frank texted me.  GOT ONE.  Hung up and Tech called Frank.  Emailed it. Flashed it or had the info on the parameters….can’t recall.  He couldn’t start at 8:00.  Left CG at 2:00 and rolled into Raleigh late that night as he was stranded in J’Ville, FL.  That was in 2020…. Runs just like new…

THATS the knowledge and resources we have here….

24 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

There is a current topic on this.  The FIX as well as PREVENTING was to flip upside down the controller.  NOW I think that was for a comtroller with the harness on the TOP. Moisture gets in. The member (RIP 06 Dynasty), removed it and sprayed it.  WD-40 is the NASA approved Water Displacement spray.  Follow up with CRC Electronics cleaner and then reassemble and turn it so the Pigtail is down.

Thats my memory.  It fixed his.

Thanks for the response but I converted mine to the Wax Valve control late last year. So far no issues with that setup. 

18 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

@Frank McElroy, I realize “cost” is relative and things cost differently in various areas, but as a rule of thumb, if I went to my local Cummins shop and asked for them to generate an Insite report, am I looking at $xx, $xxx, $xxxx? This might provide a real value. I already have the Cummins website access, and it provides great info for both the motor and genset based on my serial numbers, vin, etc. but more is usually better…🤔 TIA.