Post Purchase Inspection ... 2007 Dynasty

1 minute ago, Bobkat11208 said:

@Frank McElroy, I realize “cost” is relative and things cost differently in various areas, but as a rule of thumb, if I went to my local Cummins shop and asked for them to generate an Insite report, am I looking at $xx, $xxx, $xxxx? This might provide a real value. I already have the Cummins website access, and it provides great info for both the motor and genset based on my serial numbers, vin, etc. but more is usually better…🤔 TIA.

First.... Cummins will NOT do or should NOT do anything to an ENGINE without running the Insight.  That is HOW they learn WHAT to fix by what the codes are.

SO, it is (or WAS) Cummins practice to whenever a Customer came in and said...  Engine or Whatever....the FIRST thing they do....Hookup and RUN the diagnostics.  That tells them. They are ALSO supposed to keep on file, how long, I forgot, the ECM Program in the customer's name.  Typically, I have been told, they will charge an hour's labor.  That is in the $150 - $200 range.  Maybe some will just scan and copy...as we suggest and charge half an hour.

BUT, you need the data. You need to see what has happens. This gives you a report of every single event since the birth of the engine. If Frank had NOT done mine, I would have had it done

NOW, the OTHER benefit....The ECM is like a computer.  Just how MANY upgrades are you behind.  Many are sort of MINOR.  Some are critical. BUT, one SHOULD have the ECM up to date to get the best performance and efficiency.  SO, if you are 10 Upgrades behind what Cummins wants....and you say... CRANK IT UP AND DO...the time for each update to download, then reset or reboot...will vary.  Mine is about 4 out of date and they are NOT critical.  BUT, there were many on the ISL that WERE critical and if you don't have the updates and the "diagnostics" in the ECM is not UP TO DATE, then you could (rarely...but when it does happen....EXPENSIVE) a condition that Cummins has identified.  They update the ECM and the Diagnostics now flags or checks more things and THEN it alerts you.

NOT having your ECM updated or never updated is a recipe for an issue that Cummins MAY have identified and the ECM, with its NEW diagnostic routines will alert you.

SO....bottom line...if they do maybe one or two updates...an hour... 

That's my Layman's take on it.  Frank can and will elaborate...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bobkat11208 said:

@Frank McElroy, I realize “cost” is relative and things cost differently in various areas, but as a rule of thumb, if I went to my local Cummins shop and asked for them to generate an Insite report, am I looking at $xx, $xxx, $xxxx? This might provide a real value. I already have the Cummins website access, and it provides great info for both the motor and genset based on my serial numbers, vin, etc. but more is usually better…🤔 TIA.

Maybe someone who had this done can comment on the actual cost but with my own professional copy of Insite software the process to connect to the engine ECM, download an image and generate a 50 page PDF report takes about 10 minutes.  So, I'd estimate the cost would be about the minimum 1 hour shop labor time.  It also doesn't need to be a Cummins dealer. Most shops that repair Cummins engines likely will be using Cummins Insite software.

One of the issues is that many techs don't know how to generate a full PDF report.  They need to select the work order and then export will all parameters selected to generate a complete PDF report.  If they are confused, have them export the Cummins EIF file and then send me that file and I'll generated a PDF file as I've done for many forum members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2024 at 3:40 PM, Bobkat11208 said:

When I took mine to a DFW Cummins Shop they did not charge me anything to hook up and they emailed me the report.  @Frank McElroy formatted it for me.  I keep it in my files hoping that I will NEVER have to use it.  

15 minutes ago, Bill R said:

When I took mine to a DFW Cummins Shop they did not charge me anything to hook up and they emailed me the report.  @Frank McElroy formatted it for me.  I keep it in my files hoping that I will NEVER have to use it.  

Were you getting other work done?

Hard to believe any Cummins shop would do anything for free!

3 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Were you getting other work done?

Hard to believe any Cummins shop would do anything for free!

Ben - Nope.  No other work.  I called in advance asking if they could hook up Insite and download the report.  The service manager said they would be happy to oblige me at no cost.  I probably also did some schmoozing on the phone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

MODERATOR NOTE.  There are at least 2 or possibly 3 current topics discussing residential refrigerators and all have comments and information on MSW vs PSW.  It is a NEW TOPIC creation guideline to SEARCH.

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=Pure residential &quick=1&type=forums_topic

Using PURE and RESIDENTIAL….see the results above…2 pages.

The original new topic has been merged with one….scroll down the posts and read….probably at least 6 different topics…some older, but essentially….MOST if not all of the new residential units work OK with MSW.  Yes, PSW if preferable…but we have hundreds, if not more, that report NO Problems with MSW and Res Refer…

Thanks for complying in the future….

END OF EDIT…

Just a quick, maybe, question(s) of those that have replaced their RV frig with a Residential frig.

Isn't the issue with the inverter not being pure sine wave inverter only if you would be running it off of the batteries?

We rarely run on just the batteries and then only when switching from Generator to shore power and vis versa.

Would this pose an issue with a residential frig for that short a period of time?

Thanks in advance,

It kind of depends on your inverter and your choice of refrigerator. When we made the change we had our OEM Xantrex 2500 which was not pure sine but I checked with them and they said there should not been a issue with residential refrigerators but would be an issue with some computers, C-pap machines and other delicate electronics. The refrigerator is a II.4 CF Insignia from Best Buy. Subsequently the Xantrex died (after 18 years of use in high humidity areas) and we then replaced it with a pure sine unit.

Edited by 1nolaguy

47 minutes ago, RVSSNAKE said:

Isn't the issue with the inverter not being pure sine wave inverter only if you would be running it off of the batteries?

We rarely run on just the batteries and then only when switching from Generator to shore power and vis versa.

Would this pose an issue with a residential frig for that short a period of time?

No, the issue is whether the residential fridge you plan to install will work well with either a MSW or PSW inverter, whereas some will ONLY work with a PSW inverter.

If you install one that doesn't like the MSW inverter even for a short time, it may end up causing the fridge to fail.

That's why I like the Samsung RF197 and the new model, the RF18 as they work well with either a MSW or a PSW inverter. So does the counter-depth Fisher-Paykel Fridge.

17 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

No, the issue is whether the residential fridge you plan to install will work well with either a MSW or PSW inverter, whereas some will ONLY work with a PSW inverter.

If you install one that doesn't like the MSW inverter even for a short time, it may end up causing the fridge to fail.

That's why I like the Samsung RF197 and the new model, the RF18 as they work well with either a MSW or a PSW inverter. So does the counter-depth Fisher-Paykel Fridge.

Where can you find the MSW/PSW info from the various manufactures.

We were looking at the Frigidaire LFTR1835VF.

Not really wanting to spend $1100.

Maybe you can answer me this the current fridg issue is the upgrade box on the back has a flashing red light.

It was solid red but did the magnet trick to reset and a little bit later it was flashing.

17 minutes ago, RVSSNAKE said:

You probably won't!

They all were made to be installed in homes, powered by the utility service, which provides PSW power.

1 hour ago, RVSSNAKE said:

We were looking at the Frigidaire LFTR1835VF.

Not really wanting to spend $1100.

Maybe you can answer me this the current fridg issue is the upgrade box on the back has a flashing red light.

It was solid red but did the magnet trick to reset and a little bit later it was flashing.

First...  You CALL the Manufacturer.... OR you download the Installation and Owner's Manual.  READ CAREFULLY.   OK....no joy there.... 

THEN...  use the search function here.  Use TWO key Words.  FRIGIDAIRE and INVERTER (or maybe PURE or MODIFIED). That will direct you to every post...in all the Topics on the Units.  I recall, but will NOT say 100%, that the Frigidaire is COMPATIBLE with a MSW. 

No one wants to spend money needlessly.  However, I daresay that 95% of the folks that have upgraded...and that is well over 1000.....as this has been going on since 2009...when I joined.  Monaco was already offering Res Refers as options in most models.  The issues are complex.  Fear or concern over Fire and Life Safety.  Disgust...as in... The Gas Ref is marginal and it is aging and it is not as efficient as it once was.  I fought that battle with a Dometic for about 3 years....should have done it sooner....  I have the Samsung.  I daresay that 98% of those that upgraded will say..  WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS SOONER??

As to the Device.  It is telling you...  I GOT TOO HOT.  Norcold says DO NOT RUN ME....I am UNSAFE.  Others with the fancier systems will read much lower...and they actually feel they are MUCH SAFER...  If your High Limit BOX has failed....the BURNER IS WAY TOO HOT...and NORCOLD is saying...  DO NOT USE...

That's the bottom line.  If you want the whole gory story... then do a SEARCH.... NORCOLD.... Then click on EVERYWHERE.  We have all the recall notices and the manual and such.  You also need to use NORCOLD and click on TOPICS.  There was a great discussion on why the Norcold Device is NOT REALLY A GOOD nor SAFE ALARM.  BUT, if yours is failing....then ODDS ARE...you will be WAY OVER the limits that folks are running to get a few more "days, weeks, or whatever" out of their Norcold...

NOW....Many run the same system on the Dometic.  My Dometic just got TIRED and I upgraded. And if you look at a NEW Norcold or Dometic Gas....they are in excess, or were of $4,000..  SO...  $1,100 or almost one FOURTH is a much better value.

Please be aware...REPEATING as required by our SITE CHARTER...  If your Norcold is failing due to the RECALL BOX....it is UNSAFE to use....on GAS or ELECTRIC and should be replaced....  

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Tom, for your response and clearly outlining everything so well.

The odd thing is that the fridg is not on.

The RV is parked in our drive with just an extension cord on it to keep the batteries charged.

Thoughts?

20 hours ago, RVSSNAKE said:

MODERATOR NOTE.  There are at least 2 or possibly 3 current topics discussing residential refrigerators and all have comments and information on MSW vs PSW.  It is a NEW TOPIC creation guideline to SEARCH.

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=Pure residential &quick=1&type=forums_topic

Using PURE and RESIDENTIAL….see the results above…2 pages.

The original new topic has been merged with one….scroll down the posts and read….probably at least 6 different topics…some older, but essentially….MOST if not all of the new residential units work OK with MSW.  Yes, PSW if preferable…but we have hundreds, if not more, that report NO Problems with MSW and Res Refer…

Thanks for complying in the future….

END OF EDIT…

Just a quick, maybe, question(s) of those that have replaced their RV frig with a Residential frig.

Thanks in advance,

What happened to; 

Post Purchase Inspection ... 2007 Dynasty