2003 Dynasty HWH & Thomas compressor

Go to solution Solved by Ivylog,

Anyone,

for starters, the auxiliary leveling compressor has not worked since we bought coach.  Never really had a leveling issue.  My compressor is up under steering axle.

NOW, after leveled, air is depleting faster (overnight).  I already have the 6-pack o-ring R&R on my list.

QUESTIONS - the AUX compressor has the pressure switch (on 105 & off 115 psi - I think it’s bad). 

1) DOES the compressor rely on this switch for on & off function?  Has NOTHING to do with main air dash gauge…. CORRECT??

1a) so if the switch fails and the pump keeps running, is that the only sign of switch failure?

2) could this small compressor blow the bags?

2a) whats the protection to keep the compressor from burning up?

3) to verify I understand correctly - the HWH leveling system uses air from the main air system tanks before using the AUX system?

3a) does adding air through the Tow/drain connection by generator fill both front & rear tanks?

I understand using this connection requires caution so no water is added to the system…. I will make a water seperator.  Since AUX compressor still isn’t working…..I’m trying to figure out how to add air WITHOUT having to continually start engine and re-level.

4 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

1 yes… 1A switch not likely to fail on.

2 no… 2A turn the auto leveling off.

3 yes until the psi gets down to 90.

Thanks!!

do you see an issue adding air to main tanks by the Tow/drain connection.  I have a VIAIR compressor I can use until Inget back home to finish troubleshoot & o-ring replacements.

Your tow connection would/should go to wet tank and from there to both dry tanks. I use it all the time in the shop when I need air. The Viair will take time to fill empty tanks so check its duty cycle rating.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MHRookie said:

Anyone,

for starters, the auxiliary leveling compressor has not worked since we bought coach.  Never really had a leveling issue.  My compressor is up under steering axle.

NOW, after leveled, air is depleting faster (overnight).  I already have the 6-pack o-ring R&R on my list.

QUESTIONS - the AUX compressor has the pressure switch (on 105 & off 115 psi - I think it’s bad). 

1) DOES the compressor rely on this switch for on & off function?  Has NOTHING to do with main air dash gauge…. CORRECT??

1a) so if the switch fails and the pump keeps running, is that the only sign of switch failure?

2) could this small compressor blow the bags?

2a) whats the protection to keep the compressor from burning up?

3) to verify I understand correctly - the HWH leveling system uses air from the main air system tanks before using the AUX system?

3a) does adding air through the Tow/drain connection by generator fill both front & rear tanks?

I understand using this connection requires caution so no water is added to the system…. I will make a water seperator.  Since AUX compressor still isn’t working…..I’m trying to figure out how to add air WITHOUT having to continually start engine and re-level.

The HWH Air leveling System when activated in Auto Level Mode locks the coach chassis system out. It does not use the ride height control valves to maintain the coach level in the Auto Level Mode. The HWH computer controls the leveling of the coach.

When you put the coach into Auto Level the HWH computer will initially use the air in the coach air tanks to keep the coach level until the chassis air system drops below 60PSI and then the leveling will be maintained by the Auxiliary Air Compressor. When the system is put in Auto Level Mode the coach will level and the system will go to sleep. approximately every 30 minutes the system will wake up and check if the coach is still level. If the coach leveling need to be tweaked it will first use the air from the chassis air tanks to re-level the coach. If the chassis air tanks are empty it will use the Auxiliary Air Compressor to level the coach and then the system will go back to sleep.

The HWH System does not have an independent air storage tank. The Auxiliary Air Compressor only provides air to the air bags to keep the coach level and will not fill the chassis air tanks. When the coach is in Auto Level the chassis system is locked out. The chassis system remains locked out until you push the store button, then the coach chassis air system will be activated and return the coach to ride height and lock the Auto Level out.

The Auxiliary Air Compressor Unit contains the compressor, inlet filter(air/water separator), a Normally Open solenoid valve located at the bottom of the inlet filter, a Normally Closed pressure switch, a pressure relief valve and a 12vdc solenoid.

If your system is losing air when in Auto Level the air compressor will continually run because the system is not building enough pressure for the pressure switch to shut it off. When the compressor runs the solenoid valve closes at the bottom of the air/water separator filter and when the compressor shuts off the solenoid opens and discharges any moisture that was collected. The relief valve prevents over charging the system. The pressure switch is a Normally Closed switch and if it fails it will fail in the closed position and prevent the compressor from turning on. The compressor is an oiliest compressor, normally the motor will fail before the compressor does.

There is a 15amp fuse inline next to the compressor. If the compressor is not turning on, check it first. Also you use a jumper wire from a good 12vdc source and connect it at the fuse location to check if the compressor is good.

If the coach is going into auto level and has to be adjusted every time the system wakes up more than likely it is one of the solenoids in the six pac valves that is leaking.

I hope this helps you in trouble shooting the system.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, David Pratt said:

The HWH Air leveling System when activated in Auto Level Mode locks the coach chassis system out. It does not use the ride height control valves to maintain the coach level in the Auto Level Mode. The HWH computer controls the leveling of the coach.

When you put the coach into Auto Level the HWH computer will initially use the air in the coach air tanks to keep the coach level until the chassis air system drops below 60PSI and then the leveling will be maintained by the Auxiliary Air Compressor. When the system is put in Auto Level Mode the coach will level and the system will go to sleep. approximately every 30 minutes the system will wake up and check if the coach is still level. If the coach leveling need to be tweaked it will first use the air from the chassis air tanks to re-level the coach. If the chassis air tanks are empty it will use the Auxiliary Air Compressor to level the coach and then the system will go back to sleep.

The HWH System does not have an independent air storage tank. The Auxiliary Air Compressor only provides air to the air bags to keep the coach level and will not fill the chassis air tanks. When the coach is in Auto Level the chassis system is locked out. The chassis system remains locked out until you push the store button, then the coach chassis air system will be activated and return the coach to ride height and lock the Auto Level out.

The Auxiliary Air Compressor Unit contains the compressor, inlet filter(air/water separator), a Normally Open solenoid valve located at the bottom of the inlet filter, a Normally Closed pressure switch, a pressure relief valve and a 12vdc solenoid.

If your system is losing air when in Auto Level the air compressor will continually run because the system is not building enough pressure for the pressure switch to shut it off. When the compressor runs the solenoid valve closes at the bottom of the air/water separator filter and when the compressor shuts off the solenoid opens and discharges any moisture that was collected. The relief valve prevents over charging the system. The pressure switch is a Normally Closed switch and if it fails it will fail in the closed position and prevent the compressor from turning on. The compressor is an oiliest compressor, normally the motor will fail before the compressor does.

There is a 15amp fuse inline next to the compressor. If the compressor is not turning on, check it first. Also you use a jumper wire from a good 12vdc source and connect it at the fuse location to check if the compressor is good.

If the coach is going into auto level and has to be adjusted every time the system wakes up more than likely it is one of the solenoids in the six pac valves that is leaking.

I hope this helps you in trouble shooting the system.

David,

Just finished some minor troubleshooting…

As said, I know my o-rings needs replaced… soap bubbles prove that - not major bubbles though, more like a fizz.

found blown fuse for Aux compressor.  Removed whole unit & cleaned compressor and got it working w/12v direct.  Motor turned by hand just fine.  I have reinstalled the unit and am waiting to see if it ever kicks on.  
I am in “auto level” mode… main chassis tanks down to 40 psi… no yellow lights have come on for 2 days…

since nothing has kicked on or become unlevel yet, not sure if pressure switch is good or not.  I guess it’s a waiting game until either of the 2 conditions are met.

thanks again for the clarity!

A good way to check the compressor is to use the four arrow down and up buttons. Four arrows down will lower the coach equally and the four arrows up will raise the coach equally keeping the coach fully level.

Is the coach staying level when in the Auto Level Mode or do you have to re-level the coach by running the engine to get enough air to level again.

If the coach is staying level when in Auto Level when the system wakes up and senses that the coach is still level and does not need to be tweaked it will not turn the compressor on and the system will go back to sleep.

The Auxiliary Compressor will only come on when the system wakes up and needs air to re-level the coach.

If the chassis air is depleted you can manually raise the coach by pushing any of the raise buttons and the Auxiliary Compressor will turn on to provide air to raise the coach.

The Auxiliary Compressor will only turn on in Auto Level Mode if the coach is out of level when the system wakes up to check the level status of the coach.

Thanks for all the help.  So far, the coach is staying level.  The main air tanks are down to 30 psi but bags are staying level.

i have a complete understanding of the aux operation and it is on the list to move it in the propane tank bay so it’s more assessable.

Here is the explanation from the HWH-2000 Series Air Leveling Manual as to how the Auto-Leveling sequence is achieved. I have highlighted with BOLD lettering some of the important information. Basically, the system will first attempt to lower/release air to achieve level before it attempts to raise to achieve level status.

Part 8. Automatic Leveling Procedures and Diagnostics.
Push the "LEVEL" (AIR) button once to turn the panel on.
Push the "LEVEL" button a second time. This will start the automatic leveling process. The system will attempt to level
the vehicle by lowering the high side and/or end of the vehicle (opposite side/end of lit yellow level indicators). If a pair
of "LOWER" valves are on continuously for 45 seconds, the system will attempt to finish leveling by raising the low side
or end of the vehicle
(lit yellow level indicators). Once the system is in the raise mode it will not try to lower the vehicle
again in that leveling sequence. If the front or rear of the vehicle is being lowered, and a pressure switch for that end
comes on indicating low air pressure, the system will stop lowering the vehicle and go immediately into raise mode.
It will not wait for the 45 second timer.

When all yellow level indicators are out the "LEVELING SYSTEM ACTIVE LIGHT" will stop flashing and start pulsating
dimly. The system is now in the sleep mode. There is no delay between the yellow lights going out and the SYSTEM
ACTIVE light pulsating dimly. The ignition key can be turned off. The SYSTEM ACTIVE light will continue to pulsate
SLEEP MODE: After all yellow lights have gone out, the system may be turned off or left in the SLEEP MODE. In the
SLEEP MODE the touch panel will be off but the processor will check the level sensing unit every half hour. If an input
for a yellow level indicator is on continuously for 1 minute, the processor will wake up the system, turn the touch panel on
and re-level the vehicle according to lit yellow indicators. The system will attempt to level the vehicle by first lowering, then
raising the vehicle as necessary. When a level position is achieved the system will return to the SLEEP MODE
with the touch panel turning off 10 minutes after leveling is achieved.

EXCESS SLOPE: During any leveling sequence, if a level position is not achieved, the EXCESS SLOPE light will come
on. EXCESS SLOPE is when any pair of raise valves have been on continuously for 15 minutes. 10 minutes after the
EXCESS SLOPE light comes on the panel will turn off if the ignition is off. Any time the ignition is turned on the EXCESS
SLOPE light will come on until the "TRAVEL" button is pushed, the Park Brake is released if the ignition is on, or the vehicle
is leveled using manual air leveling.

6 minutes ago, MHRookie said:

Thanks, my system is the 600 series.  Not sure how much difference there is.

Except for behavior of the TouchPad LED I do not see any difference in function. As far as I can tell, it works the same. I have 600 series as well.

20 minutes ago, MHRookie said:

Thanks, my system is the 600 series.  Not sure how much difference there is.

Here is the manual for the 600 series HWH. See page 5 where it explains the auto-leveling procedure.

HWH 600 Manual.pdf

3 minutes ago, Paul J A said:

These folks are a great source for HWH parts and service ; 

Looks like they specialize in hydraulic jack leveling parts versus air leveling parts.

7 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Here is the manual for the 600 series HWH. See page 5 where it explains the auto-leveling procedure.

HWH 600 Manual.pdf 422.61 kB · 0 downloads

Looks like they specialize in hydraulic jack leveling parts versus air leveling parts.

Here at Stuart's Service, we've leveled everything from RVs to ATV vehicles to semi-trailers to emergency vehicles. With an unlevel world out there, the need for efficient leveling is endless!

Stuart's Service specializes only in HWH quality hydraulic leveling and slide-out systems, installing over 1,000 units per year. HWH systems are easy to operate and constructed of high quality components.

All the HWH hydraulic leveling systems installed by Stuart's Service utilize the technology of the HWH Leveleze™ Light System. With indicator lights and arrows, Leveleze™ guides the user to a level motorhome quickly and effortlessly.

The convenient Leveleze™ interior panel allows the user to know at a glance, if any of the jacks are engaged before attempting to move the motorhome. This simple, yet vital feature can help prevent the costly damage caused by accidental moving.

Just now, Paul J A said:

Here at Stuart's Service, we've leveled everything from RVs to ATV vehicles to semi-trailers to emergency vehicles. With an unlevel world out there, the need for efficient leveling is endless!

Stuart's Service specializes only in HWH quality hydraulic leveling and slide-out systems, installing over 1,000 units per year. HWH systems are easy to operate and constructed of high quality components.

All the HWH hydraulic leveling systems installed by Stuart's Service utilize the technology of the HWH Leveleze™ Light System. With indicator lights and arrows, Leveleze™ guides the user to a level motorhome quickly and effortlessly.

The convenient Leveleze™ interior panel allows the user to know at a glance, if any of the jacks are engaged before attempting to move the motorhome. This simple, yet vital feature can help prevent the costly damage caused by accidental moving.

A C & P from their web site.

On 8/2/2024 at 12:05 PM, vito.a said:

When I purchased our coach the Thomas air compressor didn't work either.  It is an open armature design and easily gets fouled with dirt.  

I found new ones on eBay for about $400.  This is a LOT less than HWH or Northwest RV supply.  Just be careful to get the 12 volt version.   

You can also purchase a rebuild kit: 

Holy Crap!

I paid less for a brand new Ridetech Thomas Air Compressor than it cost for the rebuild kit. Granted, it is a different model but who cares. On my previous Windsor, when I rebuilt that HWH air compressor system, I used a Viair Compressor model which is now more than the Thomas model I just purchased from Amazon recently.

VIAIR 450C - Industrial Air Compressor

Ridetech 31920002 Thomas Oilless 150 PSI 12v Universal Air Compressor Kit

When I added a battery for the generator I added a shelf for a 12V compressor. Found a $100 twin cylinder compressor on EBay which is quieter. Already had a on/off switch in the dash so didn’t replace the pressure switch which was bad… don’t use the auto leveling.

IMG_0599.png

IMG_5949.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for the Great information here! New owner of a 2006 Dynasty with the 2000 series system.  It almost works as it should except for the following-

1st issue- I cannot locate the sensing unit.  I need to adjust the unit to bubble level- level.  It’s drifted out over the years. I’ve looked on the ceilings of all the bays but cannot find it, dropped panels, I know how to adjust it, just can’t find it. 

2nd issue- the system will pop off air, from 5 to 20 seconds and then the compressor will run to relevel us. This occurs several times a day. I understand the unit wakes and checks for level every 30 minutes, etc.  The 6 packs have been rebuilt and don’t bubble at this time.

Any suggestions?

Admins- i can start a new topic if necessary.

Thanks,

The leveling sensing puck is mounted to the ceiling in one of your storage bays which could be hidden with an accessible cover. I believe mine is located on the driver's side hidden behind a cover in the first large storage bay.

The system when in Auto-level mode will release air to level, FIRST. Then when there is no longer enough air in the main tanks it will then use the HWH compressor to re-level.

If it is releasing air, is it because you are no longer level due to an air leak? Have you actually watched the HWH control panel to see exactly what it is showing and doing each time?

23 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

The leveling sensing puck is mounted to the ceiling in one of your storage bays which could be hidden with an accessible cover. I believe mine is located on the driver's side hidden behind a cover in the first large storage bay.

The system when in Auto-level mode will release air to level, FIRST. Then when there is no longer enough air in the main tanks it will then use the HWH compressor to re-level.

If it is releasing air, is it because you are no longer level due to an air leak? Have you actually watched the HWH control panel to see exactly what it is showing and doing each time?

This is the only HWH unit I can find. It doesn’t have what the book is calling for with the 4 lights and the adjustment nut and screw. I may be looking for something bigger than it actually is though.  I’m sure I have leaks, just need to figure out how to access the underneath area. Not as skinny as I used to be.

IMG_7805.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

@Jim Roach If you don't have the HWH 2000 Manual I have attached it. Look for the section that talks about the Leveling Sensing Unit.

HWH 2000 Series Air Leveling System Ownr's Manual.pdf 542.44 kB · 1 download

I have the manual, I just cannot locate the sensing unit.  I understand how to adjust it once found. Big box/small box? Something inside the module I attached a pic of? Shoe box size or smart phone size? I’ve dropped all the ceiling panels in all the bays and the above HWH box is all I see.  There are other ECM’s, brain boxes, etc but nothing looking like the above.