NORCOLD 1200 freezer works refrigerator doesn't on LP

mitchellg2241

Norcold 1200 running on propane, freezer works well but refrigerator not getting cold at all finns or walls.

Need the freezer to get through this tropical storm on west coast of Florida.

I have a portable fridge for the cold food.

Is there any danger running just the freezer?

No error codes and can't hear the fan which I usually do.

2001 Diplomat 40'

Thanks,

Mitchell

Edited by mitchellg2241

• mitchellg2241 changed the title to NORCOLD 1200 freezer works refrigerator doesn't on LP

Your absorption fridge works on the mixture of chemicals which are heated then circulated to the freezer area first followed by the fridge area second. I don't have anything good to say about absorption fridges except that I got rid of mine back in 2012 for a residential and would NEVER own another RV with an absorption fridge.

Yours is probably clogged somewhere and not functioning correctly.

Because it cools the freezer first- if the freezer is using all the available cooling- there is not much left for the fridge.

we used to be on a houseboat at Lake Powell, Utah. In mid-July 110+ degrees outside - the absorbing fridge could keep the freezer mostly frozen - but the fridge was way too warm. By mid-late August, the fridge was at the proper temp (barely). Never had any complaints about the fridge from people in May, June, September or October… go figure😎

My point… if it is really hot outside - just get by- when it cools down the fridge will be working as well as they work. 

The year we re-did the houseboat kitchen and put in residential fridges- everyone in July & August said “how nice to have fridges that work great” everyone on in May, June, Sept &Oct said “ nice pretty cabinets”. 

Good Luck

Mitchell,

One test you can perform is to power your frig with AC power. If it works correctly, the reason it doesn’t work on LP is likely a low flame, either because the orifice/burner is dirty or clogged with rust or your gas pressure isn’t high enough. I would check both things and correct as needed. If the performance is marginal on AC too, check your fans on the back to make sure they are running and not dirty. I added extra fans and it helped. I also adjusted my gas pressure to the upper limit and cleaned the burner. These things improved performance quite a bit. 
Roy

37 minutes ago, RNMCBR said:

Mitchell,

One test you can perform is to power your frig with AC power. If it works correctly, the reason it doesn’t work on LP is likely a low flame, either because the orifice/burner is dirty or clogged with rust or your gas pressure isn’t high enough. I would check both things and correct as needed. If the performance is marginal on AC too, check your fans on the back to make sure they are running and not dirty. I added extra fans and it helped. I also adjusted my gas pressure to the upper limit and cleaned the burner. These things improved performance quite a bit. 
Roy

The regulators fail.  Unless you have the instruments (Manometer?) to check the Water Column pressures (OK...You CAN make one....visit YouTube)...then a new Regulator might be the answer...or if you can jury rig a Propane tank with a regulator and a 20 Pound cylinder...

Next is the Fans.  The Norcold uses a special lower TEMP sensor. It is mounted on an outside fin of the condensing coil or the "rectangular" device at the very top. They sometimes go bad. Cheap to replace.  I lowered the ON/OFF temp on my Dometic....I read the specs and the Norcold ran lower.  Maybe ON at 120 and off at 105.  Dometic was ON at 130 and off at 115.  The Dometic worked a LOT better.  Of COURSE if you boondock, it gonna RUN more.

The other thing....are the FANS working.  Can't recall, but it is the service manual and the parts list. THINK there is two buried...or at least they were on my Dometic. I added an additional Exhaust Fan. It was a Fantastic Fan that fit in a Plastic Box....like a small floor fan. I did a little ducting and had it EXHAUSTING out the upper vent...mine was on the side...but it would work with a Roof Vent.  If you have a small fan...even a reciprocating (lock it out), then try increasing the air flow from the bottom or pulling from the top. You want MORE CFM over the Condensing coil or fins. 

BTW, the Unit is SUPPOSED to cool better on Propane.  Or at least that is my memory. You have MORE heat.. but it cools faster, but YOU NEED more CFM over the Condensing coil....at the top.

Refer section will be 30 degrees warmer than the freezer… takes 10 in the freezer for refer to get to 40. Try putting a fan blowing into the bottom outside vent to increase the coolin… should hear the 2 fans on the back side running too.

The previous owner on mine had installed a computer cooling fan at the side cover blowing up. He installed an off/on switch just inside the louvers inside under the fridge. When I had my cooling unit replaced with a JC Refrigerator unit my service guy told me to have it turned on whenever the sun is on that side of the coach and it makes a huge difference. Cheap and easy conversion. Don

• Thanks 1

In my opinion, every absorption fridge should have ARP protection included. Not only for fire prevention on ammonia filled units but it also controls additional fans for better cooling as needed and is programmable to customize set points if one chooses. Unlike the factory 'fix, it auto resets once a condition clears.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 6:46 PM, mitchellg2241 said:

Norcold 1200 running on propane, freezer works well but refrigerator not getting cold at all finns or walls.

Need the freezer to get through this tropical storm on west coast of Florida.

I have a portable fridge for the cold food.

Is there any danger running just the freezer?

No error codes and can't hear the fan which I usually do.

2001 Diplomat 40'

Thanks,

Mitchell

@mitchellg2241,

What is your current temperature in the left hand side of the freezer?