Generator issue after washing engine bay

MJ.STIGER

2005 Monaco executive. Washing the engine bay today I had the generator running during my degreasing and washing the generator stopped running .

I went to investigate and I could hear the generator making a clicking sound. It was off and not running. I turned the battery power off and clicking stopped.

I ended up turning the battery back on. I could hear the generator clicking I unplugged the harness at the front of the generator and the clicking stopped. 

I was able to start the generator from the main switch on it self. 

I looked thought my wiring diagram hoping to find the wiring for the generator but seems like I could not find it in the big book I have. 

wondering if any one has had a similar issue or experience?

I think there is a short on the stop leg of the generator. But odd it would start when I was washing the engine bay.

Going to let it sit and see it something got wet and it drys out. But I would also like to dig into it so I know where the issue is coming from.

• Like 1

The generator wiring harness connector on the side of the generator which is for remote starting, etc. is notorious for causing odd behaviors when it gets any moisture or wet inside.

Open up the connector and dry it out plus use a small amount of dielectric grease on the inside and re-seat the connector.

• Like 1

This is great to know. I have dielectric grease. But what is odd is the water was at the back of the coach not the front. Unless there is a connector in the back. Tired look at my diagram book but could not find that wiring. 

This is great to know. I have dielectric grease. But what is odd is the water was at the back of the coach not the front. Unless there is a connector in the back. Tired look at my diagram book but could not find that wiring. 

there has to be a connector in the rear too. Then. 

I have a generator start switch in my bedroom.  I believe they used a connector to hook everything together as they prewired everything.  In my case the wires did go from the engine compartment to up under the bed. 

Maybe the water did get into the wiring harness there. 

• Like 1

The problem may have gone away now that it has dried out. Problem is i dont know what connector it is. My trusty wiring diagram does not appear to have that wiring on it. They did such a great job on all the other stuff in my book. Maybe i missed it and have to look again.