Starlink

My baggage compartment walls are quite busy with stuff so I opted for temporary mount for the router, on a board with Velcro backing. Slap it on the carpetted wall or ceiling and it stays there until we move again.

IMG_20240807_204728862.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Les Hurdle said:

what type of 'dish' are you folks using?

I use gen 2 dish on a flag pole. That's what was available at that time. Now there are other options and the hardware is getting cheaper in some regions.

Screenshot_20240808-083625-385.png

49 minutes ago, Les Hurdle said:

what type of 'dish' are you folks using?

I have a gen 3.  I was going to flat mount it on my roof but really don't want to put anymore holes in the roof.  I have a pole mount for mine too.

Mine is a gen 2 also and mounted almost just like Ivan's. I,m also not keen on adding holes to the roof. Plus, there have been times where it would not work from the roof and was able to deploy it elsewhere in my campsite for better reception.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Powell said:

Has anyone thought about mounting it on an old winguard antenna mount???

There's a thought. I have an old winguard antenna mount that I'm not using, but if I do that I loose the flexibility of being able to move it. Also, I use it at home and that would be much more difficult.

PXL_20240802_234842776.jpg

Edited by Tom Wallis

I completely removed the old Winegard mount that was clunking around on top and put the Starlink dish there. Works great, even rolling down the road.

16 hours ago, JerryC said:

I completely removed the old Winegard mount that was clunking around on top and put the Starlink dish there. Works great, even rolling down the road.

Jerry

Please share some pictures and how you did it.

I'm with Jeff, would love to remove mine as well. I will never use it and seems so outdated and clunky sitting on the roof. I want to remove the whole thing but not sure where to start.

I have the Gen 3 Starlink & I bought the Flag Buddy pole mount but so far I haven't needed to use the pole mount. It has been easier to just set the dish on the ground. I would like to use Starlink at home also....I will need to use a pole mount here because I have 70 foot tall redwoods that result in some partial obstruction. Can I buy another Starlink dish without the router that I could use for a permanent mounting at the house without having to pay for a 2nd subscription?

21 minutes ago, Land Lubber said:

I have the Gen 3 Starlink & I bought the Flag Buddy pole mount but so far I haven't needed to use the pole mount. It has been easier to just set the dish on the ground. I would like to use Starlink at home also....I will need to use a pole mount here because I have 70 foot tall redwoods that result in some partial obstruction. Can I buy another Starlink dish without the router that I could use for a permanent mounting at the house without having to pay for a 2nd subscription?

The star link account is tied to your dish, not the router, so the quick answer is no.   

I’ve heard Starlink will be offering  a slightly discounted program for those that want to do what you’re asking, but not sure when that will be, or how much it will cost. It might be available now. 

The Starlink Roam subscription is 20% higher than one would pay if they used Starlink solely at a fixed location, home, but I agree that they will most likely levy  an additional charge. I have found that Starlink has been far superior to the wifi I see in the many RV parks that we have visited this year. The only location that I have an obstruction is at my home location due to my redwoods ou back.

@Ivylog Dick,   Those are pretty good sale prices.    My kids got me the Gen 3 for fathers day from Best Buys, on sale.   

To answer @Les Hurdle, if you purchase direct from StarLink, it will come programed ready to use.   However, buying from HomeDepot, BestBuys, WestMarine, etc, isn't a problem at all.   Programing it is very simple, but you do need cell service to set up the account and do the initial programing. 

After that, no cell service is needed, but you still use your phone or tablet to aim the dish.   I've gotten pretty good at aiming it by hand and use the phone to verify.

They have a new "mini" dish that just came out.   I think that's more for the small vans where space is very limited.   Was reading where a guy took it backpacking.      

On 8/10/2024 at 4:37 AM, Jeff H said:

Jerry

Please share some pictures and how you did it.

Attached are a couple pics, one from the front and one from the back. The Starlink RV mount is simply screwed right down as antenna was. I ran the wire for it down the old satellite wire hole and then along the inside passenger cabinets back to the stereo cabinet which is where the receiver and router are. When I did this, I also replaced the drop down TV with a nice new OLED for streaming and replaced the old motorized TV antenna (another clunky thing) that set off "ANTENNA UP" beeper when it moved around. New digital one works great if there's over the air around. Please ignore the ugly roof! The black sealant is from a dish replacement before my time. With nearly everything working now on this resurrection from nearly dead, next year will (hopefully) be cosmetics.

starlink back.jpg

starlink front.jpg

Not likely very well. It needs unobstructed view of the sky...

1 hour ago, JerryC said:

Not likely very well. It needs unobstructed view of the sky...

Correct.  Starlink satellites are NOT geostationary, so having a "view of the Southern sky" like Dish & Direct TV won't cut it.  

- bob

FWIW.  Mine arrived on a short pole and I erected it vertically.

It had 80% coverage and was very good.   We then angled the pole to get full coverage, didn't see much difference.

L