Rear Slide-Outs not retracting - 07 Dynasty / 4 Slides

Go to solution Solved by FlynPirate,

Ok ... I've have my "new" coach 3 days and sitting in a storage lot. It has been plugged in 110 during the nights (Magnum Shore set to 15am draw, charge rate to 30%) I come out, start the Generator and extend all slides, work with the Valid leveling system, raising the Tag, lowering the tag, manual level, auto level ... etc. Just learning the system. The ma'am is working inside, I'm washing outside. We finish for the day and I go to retract the rear slides and nothing. Passenger side is electric, Driver side hydraulic, neither wants to retract. I check all compartments closed, find I left the engine compartment open, close it, try again ... nothing. The two forward slides operate normally. I try with and without gen power, nothing. The hydraulic motor doesn't engage when I try the driver side. Brake is set, I crank engine to power the air system. The Valid is in Travel mode. What am I missing? 

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Problem Solved!! Mr. Tom Cherry explained the CPU's within the Multiplex System and a simple reset of the CPU's eliminated the fault and the slides worked as advertised. I worked with several systems today and simply upset the logic. It's good to know now how to reset the system! Just turn off the battery Cut-off, wait 5 mins and turn it back on.  Thank you Mr. Cherry! 

Edited by FlynPirate
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ron Shantos said:

So, How do you "reset the CPU's"?

Ron

r

My Bad ... left out the main part... sorry. Just turn off the Battery "Cut-off", the one by the door, wait 5 mins and turn it back on. Reboots the CPU's. 

This happened to me when I first got our 2006 Dynasty. The tell tale sign was the intellitec switch panel for the rear slides was dark....all others were lighted. Resetting as Tom highlighted above using the battery cutoff by the door solved the issue. We all learn as we take this journey. Your aviation systems background will assist in understanding your coach.

10 hours ago, det944 said:

This happened to me when I first got our 2006 Dynasty. The tell tale sign was the intellitec switch panel for the rear slides was dark....all others were lighted. Resetting as Tom highlighted above using the battery cutoff by the door solved the issue. We all learn as we take this journey. Your aviation systems background will assist in understanding your coach.

FWIW..  I learned that from our MENTOR, Frank.  BUT, having the Hybrid system, which has an IPX Module that relays the commands rather than the CPU, I DO KNOW that if someone disconnects the batteries....and I know a little bit about the MH and had got a phone call from Jeff on Friday when there was a step issue that the techs were working on..  STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN to the MPX.

So, here's the deal and Frank McElroy and Paul Whittle, which are, as well as others, our MPX experts.  They can and have in the past, provided replacement boards....THANKS FRANK...and solved my problem.  

SO...here is the WHAT NOT TO DO and WHAT TO DO.

It is OK to cut off the DISCONNECT SWITCHES.  BUT, sometimes, when in a hurry, one just says.... HECK... I'll pull the Jumpers.  And THAT is what I did as I was doing a Discharge and checking individual battery voltages.  ALL WAS WELL.  BUT, later on, I only had a few of the MPX panels illuminated.

OPPS.  PANIC.  Frank called me back while I was solving it.  I had bypassed my Battery Cut Off switch.  SO, I just killed BOTH Banks from the Switches.  WAITED a few minutes.  I think and KNOW that it takes a few minutes to DISSIPATE stray currents or stored charges.  AS AN ASIDE...if you do a HARD REBOOT on a Magnum, the older Techs said "WAIT AN HOUR".  That saved a 2006 Dynasty and it is STILL WORKING.

SO, WAIT..  Then I turned back on the Disconnects...and was walking in when Frank called.  BINGO.  NO ISSUES.

Just the quick "put on the jumper" and then the nut causes the circuit to ARC.  That ON/OFF for even a few Milliseconds will drive electronics crazy.  I know. I added a Ring Terminal to my C7 Corvette battery so I could plug in a maintainer....which I always do when we travel. The Dealer CALLED ME.  OMG...WHAT DID YOU DO? There were more error codes about the battery than (Fill in the Blank)  Just putting on the terminal and retightening the nut must have broken a circuit 10 times.

SO...  my RULE of THUMB.  SHUT IT DOWN.  WAIT.  then Reboot and HOPE....

Jeff & Others,

Jeff allowed an "indulgence" while we were on the phone.  I told him to turn off the Battery Cutoff switch.  Then I started verbalizing (a confusing process to say the least) what the circuit looked like and what was going on...

• The Front sides...which were Hydraulic functioned OK....IN and OUT
  • The Rears were a mix of Electric and Hydraulic.  NOW WHY?  That did NOT make sense.  All the "MUST BE OK" circuits like the Parking Brake Switch were OK for the Front Hydraulics....and that goes through the HWH Control Panel....so WHY not the REAR.  
  • The Electric would have had the same signal...  SO...two different circuits were messed up.
  • The odds of blowing the Fuse on the modules for the Electric and the fuse for the Hydraulic were WAY TOO HIGH (but that HAS happened)..
  • Mentally could not find any more "WILL NOT WORK UNLESS" circuits as Jeff's bays opened OUT and not UP. 
  • Am NOT the expert on the inputs to the CPU that control the slide.  
  • Frank told me, I THINK, that he can RETRACT his Slides with the Engine ON....as IN PARKED and BRAKE SET...but can NOT Deploy or extend them...
  • IT HAS TO BE A GREMLIN IN THE CPU or a MODULE....assuming the Retract and Extend for all the slides was on the same Intellitec module and we weren;t going there...I would have Texted Frank and given him Jeff's contacts and if he had an opportunity and time....hand it off.

So, while I verbalized all this (probably 10 minutes)....that was long enough for the electronic rats to abandon ship.  They DID.  It WORKED...

And I was REALLY GLAD they did... 

So, hopefully the logic in that I used, or it seemed logical to me...will benefit others.