Air level only no auxiliary pump

I carry a pancake air compressor with me to use for servicing tires, etc. when I park overnight , I connect an air hose from that compressor to the tow truck air input fitting located in the generator compartment and open the valve. I set the output air pressure on the compressor to 110 PSI. This keeps the system aired up and very seldom the compressor will kick on for about 45 seconds or so to maintain tank pressure. 

I’ve found and fixed a few leaks but it still finds a way to bleed down in about 30 hours or so. 

1 hour ago, AndyinMelbourne said:

I carry a pancake air compressor with me to use for servicing tires, etc. when I park overnight , I connect an air hose from that compressor to the tow truck air input fitting located in the generator compartment and open the valve. I set the output air pressure on the compressor to 110 PSI. This keeps the system aired up and very seldom the compressor will kick on for about 45 seconds or so to maintain tank pressure. 

I’ve found and fixed a few leaks but it still finds a way to bleed down in about 30 hours or so. 

Certainly the easiest way to go .

You may want to install an air drier behind your pancake compressor!

• Like 1

What Monaco do you have, Steve. I thought all the air leveled Monaco's had the auxillary compressor above the front axle. There is a great post about this. Dick Bell installed a Vlair compressor in the front generator bay.

1 minute ago, Doug and Nicki said:

What Monaco do you have, Steve. I thought all the air leveled Monaco's had the auxillary compressor above the front axle. There is a great post about this. Dick Bell installed a Vlair compressor in the front generator bay.

Some '05 models Monaco tried a Firestone system, with no electric compressor.

My Windsor has an auxiliary compressor. I crawled all over under mine with a soap bottle and couldn't find any leaks. Then one day I was working on the generator and head a air leak. It was the air horn solenoid mounted right on the firewall.  

1 minute ago, Steve Henderson said:

I have a 2005 windsor.  I have a pancake compressor but it's so noise I'm scared to use it in an rv park

Just run it during the day. Pull the power to it at night.

Mine leaks worse when it's cold.  But goes flat and empty quicker then it should 

It will be flat by the morning it used to leak on the front left now it's on the right.  Going to try again when I get home in a week or so.  Thanks.

With my compressor in the center of the pass thru storage bay, you can barely here it run if standing outside the motorhome. It’s just a very low buzzing sound. And it runs for maybe 45 seconds per night. 

25 minutes ago, Steve Henderson said:

Mine leaks worse when it's cold.  But goes flat and empty quicker then it should 

It will be flat by the morning it used to leak on the front left now it's on the right.  Going to try again when I get home in a week or so.  Thanks.

We all go through that!

The airlines shrink a bit, then the press on fittings leak a bit.

Ok, I should have said 'we all leak air a little more in freezing temperatures'!

Edited by 96 EVO

13 hours ago, Steve Henderson said:

Has anyone added an auxiliary air pump?  Mine goes flat in a few hours 2 shops and I have searched for leaks no luck. 

My Camelot came with an aux 12v pump. It wasn't working so I replaced it with a viaair pump.

If you drop in 2 hours you have a big leak. Check with soapy water spray

Air bags

Air dryer

Air tanks

Air manifolds.

We had leaks in all these areas. We went from 4 hrs from 115psi to 0 psi. My wife got under the rig and sprayed everything. We found leaks in both air tanks where Monaco didn't use pipe dope. Our biggest leak was in the air dryer... Oily dirt was keeping it from sealing back after the purge. Wasn't hard to find after we eliminated all the fittings. All in all we replaced about 20 fittings, 8 air bags ( only some were leaking, but easier to replace them all. Tech showed me the bubbles forming from the air coming through the old rubber.

A aux pump will never make up for an air tight system. The pump is loud at 2am and at your rate of loss it would be coming on every 30 minutes.

Check your air bags 1st, if they check ok, look at the pressure protection valves the should hold the air in the airbags. Is if the system is inflated and your bags deflate, it's either going out the airbags, the airbags fittings or flowing to a different leak back through the ppv valve. I got all my parts from Amazon and napa for the fittings.

BTW you won't hear the air bags leaking, only soapy water all over the bages making bubbles will show the leaks.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I got mine done a couple years ago at a love's truck stop repair garage.nthey charged me 100/ bag and I supplies the bags.

Did it in about 4 hours

"IF" you have the luxury of planning when you will replace tires on the coach, do the air bags and shocks at the same time. The wheels are off and the time required to do that is minimal. 

"USE" the $$$ you saved and buy some Centramatics or Balance Masters. Once and done!!! You can sell those later on when you are no longer in the coach.