Loss of power through EMS

JerryW
Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

I recently bought this coach. 2009 Scepter 42. When plugged into 50 amp service, no issue. Equipped with a Progressive EMS-HW50C with remote readout.

Plugged into 30amp service at storage facility the EMS keeps shutting down circuits until the ac is completely turned off. Then it resets and all is well for a few minutes. Then all repeats. Only systems running are a single ac, the invertor and the frige. Total draw is 24amps. I am plugged into a 30amp dedicated circuit. I noticed the remote progressive module shows as little as 98 volts at shut down. I have tested at two totally separate outlets. Same result. Any suggestions?

• Solution
45 minutes ago, JerryW said:

I recently bought this coach. 2009 Scepter 42. When plugged into 50 amp service, no issue. Equipped with a Progressive EMS-HW50C with remote readout.

Plugged into 30amp service at storage facility the EMS keeps shutting down circuits until the ac is completely turned off. Then it resets and all is well for a few minutes. Then all repeats. Only systems running are a single ac, the invertor and the frige. Total draw is 24amps. I am plugged into a 30amp dedicated circuit. I noticed the remote progressive module shows as little as 98 volts at shut down. I have tested at two totally separate outlets. Same result. Any suggestions?

Been there….exact same issue.  The problem is that the incoming voltage is too low.  Quite common at storage facilities. The power company needs to bump up the transformer tap by maybe 8 VAC.  When the HW50C is reading 98 VAC, that is 7 VAC below the cutoff of 105.  As your system pulls more amps, the voltage will drop.  I convinced the Storage facility to get the power company out and bump or rewire (simple) the taps or connections to the 10 VAC step above.  Most transformers have taps that are sized or wired in 5 VAC steps.  So, if it is set to 115….then change it to 125 VAC. Problem is solved.

It all depends on where you are in the “food” chain.  My rig was at the tail end and there was a mobile office trailer next to mine.  It had a large electric (toaster..LOL) resistance furnace and an AC unit.  I monitored the power and knew when the HW50C…and figured it out.  Finally the Manager relented.  I met the power truck and talked to the lineman….easy fix and he agreed. The higher didn’t hurt anyone.

Let us know.

Thanks Tom. You verified what I was thinking is correct. I tested at no load my dedicated plug to another down the line. Each is on a separate breaker. Mine  showed 114 at no load. The other 117.3 no load. Both are low at no load so the whole bank is low by a few volts. I suspect mine could have a poor or loose connection as well.  Next on the check list.

I am using a high quality meter.

Thanks for your input!

• Thanks 1

Obviously checking the power source is the first and apparently possibly the obvious in this case. 

However, I have encountered that problem to a lesser degree and found out that I had a cheap Chinese dog bone between my 50 amp cord and the 30 amp outlet. I threw that dog bone away.   Some of those Chinese wires look good on the surface but they're just not made well. I found that to be the case with 120v 15 and 20 amp cord end  sockets and plugs from harbor freight. They just didn't carry the current load as they didn't make good plug pin to socket contact.  

Thanks Tom. I do have a cheap dog bone and it was the first piece substituted. Same result. As time goes on I have no doubt that it can be a issue,.so away it goes.

Thanks

I had a similar problem here at home when I plugged my coach into the 20 amp circuit last week upon returning from a long summer trip.  The remote on my Progressive EMS-HW50C showed low voltage on line 2. I cleaned each of the contacts on the coach's power cord, the dogbone & my 20 amp extension cord with generous amounts of DeoxIT a couple of times. Having done this & reconnected all was well again! This was a reminder that I need to use the DeoxIT regularly.

I also had a similar problem just after I bought my coach.  When I plugged into the storage 20 amp power my Inverter/Charger went into Bulk Charging mode at 100% and was drawing too many amps causing low voltage on the HW50C.    This just kept cycling, 100% Bulk Charging, low voltage, trip, reset, 100% Bulk Charging, and over again.  When I realized the problem I lowered the charging rate to 50% and that solved the problem for me when plugging into substandard power supplies like storage facilities..

10 hours ago, Land Lubber said:

I had a similar problem here at home when I plugged my coach into the 20 amp circuit last week upon returning from a long summer trip.  The remote on my Progressive EMS-HW50C showed low voltage on line 2. I cleaned each of the contacts on the coach's power cord, the dogbone & my 20 amp extension cord with generous amounts of DeoxIT a couple of times. Having done this & reconnected all was well again! This was a reminder that I need to use the DeoxIT regularly.

Oh yes.  My backyard extension cord is a continuous maintenance issue, and my first clue that the China adapters were an issue.   Funny how much more critically you become when you are up against insufficient amperage to begin with. (It's a 100 foot 12ga cord on 15 amp circuit)

I always cut my charger charge to 10% when I go to storage. Not much need.for battery usage. Thanks for the tip.