Thermostat settings

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

I have a 2001 Signature with 3 Air conditioners. My question is the center is ran off the bedroom Thermostat seams like it runs all the time front AC goes off and thermostat is up front. What do most people set there thermostat temperature at? Looks like middle AC at this rate will wear out a lot faster than the other 2. 

• Solution
47 minutes ago, jgraves912 said:

I have a 2001 Signature with 3 Air conditioners. My question is the center is ran off the bedroom Thermostat seams like it runs all the time front AC goes off and thermostat is up front. What do most people set there thermostat temperature at? Looks like middle AC at this rate will wear out a lot faster than the other 2. 

Go to your prints and read the manual on the HVAC system.  Many had 2 thermostats or some 3 AC rigs had only ONE…doesn’t matter….here is how it works,,.

If you have ONE thermostat, up front, then the thermostat will have zones 1, 2 & 3.  The front thermostat is a BRAIN and it gets temp readings from its own sensor or the remote ones in each zone…the bRAIN  has a “sensor” or thermocouple.  It is inside.  That senses the temperature.  That is what makes zone 1 go on and off.

Zone 2 will be the middle.  There is a remote sensor, somewhere in the hall area or the middle.  It is connected to the rooftop unit and sends “data” to the master thermostat up front. When it needs heat or cold, it signals the thermostat and then the middle unit turns on or off.

Likewise, zone 3 is the bedroom,  there is a wall sensor (little brown half egg shaped device. Behind it is another thermocouple or sensor.  That controls or measures the temperature back there.  It sends data to the front thermostat. The thermostat then tells the proper unit in each zone, 1, 2 or 3….to TURN on or OFF.  It is the “brain” and its remote sensors feed the temp data.

NOW….if you have a Bedroom thermostat….there is NO remote sensor.  The same sensor inside the thermostat works like it does up front. It tells the bedroom unit when to come on or off….that will be ZONE 1 for the bedroom. Zone 2 will still be in the Hall.  It still has,the remote sensor…but it is connected to the Rear thermostat or “brain”.

That’s how they work.  There is a drawing showing the data cables and where they are run…look at it.

Saying where folks set the temps is like asking how well done folks like a steak.  It depends on the occupants and how “cold or hot” they prefer….it also depends, if you have a female companion, the “time of her life” will influence the settings.

The three units on one side are all on the same duct…so they sort of “interact”.  When one is unit is running, it will push air through the vent to the other end. Set the temps like you do at home. Then adjust as needed.  Out in an open site with no shade and the lack of insulation in the MH will have a major impact.  So, you learn how to regulate and adjust to where you are and the outside temps. The front area with all the Glass will be like an oven or a freezer. Glass has NO R Value.

Maybe not what you want to hear…but each of us have learned how to set and adjust and adapt. My MH only has 2 AC and is 40 ft. There is a 2 foot longer one with 3 AC so, cooling it is a breeze.  We often use a 13” oscillating fan to keep the cool air moving on a hot day…doubt you need it.

BUT, never run the system on LOW FAN on a hot humid day….you will have condensation dripping…that should be in the manual.

Don't know about your floor plan but in ours the center AC was a zone 2 on bedroom thermostat and it's temp sensor is on side of a cabinet by the shower but could be elsewhere in yours. My manual does not show hvac system wiring but it really is simple, knowing which unit is in which zone on which thermostat. I moved them all to the front microair anyway so I have simple control over them. With the single long duct I just lock them at a setting that makes the coach comfortable whatever the thermostats show.

15 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Don't know about your floor plan but in ours the center AC was a zone 2 on bedroom thermostat and it's temp sensor is on side of a cabinet by the shower but could be elsewhere in yours.  

Same!

Heatpump unit is mounted ahead of the wall / pocket door, but thermostat that controls it is in the shower room.

Just to clarify, the remote temperature sensor for the center unit is on a cabinet in the shower room.

Edited by 96 EVO

I have 3 air middle and center run by the bedroom thermostat. When you are on cool they run all the time, laying in bed at night I can hear when they start to cool, but they always are running. Just replaced the front air and thermostat and when it reaches the desired temp it shuts off. So nice 

The thermostat up front controls your front A/C and the thermostat in the bedroom controls your middle and rear bedroom A/C.  Like the others said, you have a remote temperature sensor (see attached picture) in the bath area on the wall for the middle A/C.  That's not the ideal location but as long as you leave the center door open it works okay. 

I agree. The middle A/C tends to work hard.  It was the first one I upgraded to 15,000btu.  

I set my rear and middle A/C at 73 and the front one at 74.  The windshield tends to heat up the front and it's tough for it to get down to 73.  

If I've just turned the A/C's on and it's a hot day I set the fans to high.  After they catch up some I change the fans back to Auto.  

Be glad you have three units!  

Dometic Remote temp sensor.jpg

• Thanks 1

My 06 Dynasty has 3 rooftop Ac's. One in the bedroom and two up front. The bedroom 5 button CCC controls the rear and middle AC's whereas the front 5 button CCC only controls the front AC. The rear AC uses the CCC for temp sensor, the middle AC uses a remote sensor located under the cabinet in the toilet/shower room, and the front AC uses its CCC for temp sensing.

I seldom use the middle AC unless it gets REALLY hot inside which isn't often.

I plan to remove the middle AC from the rear CCC control and wire it to the front CCC. Don't know why they didn't do that at the factory! To accomplish that task I will simply remove the data cable coming from the rear and zip-tie it out of way. Then I will make up a data cable that will run from the front AC to the middle AC along the inside ceiling which is covered up with a huge decorative ceiling panel. Lastly, I will reboot and reprogram the front CCC and rear CCC to reflect the changes made.

On 8/11/2024 at 10:02 AM, Dr4Film said:

My 06 Dynasty has 3 rooftop Ac's. One in the bedroom and two up front. The bedroom 5 button CCC controls the rear and middle AC's whereas the front 5 button CCC only controls the front AC. The rear AC uses the CCC for temp sensor, the middle AC uses a remote sensor located under the cabinet in the toilet/shower room, and the front AC uses its CCC for temp sensing.

I plan to remove the middle AC from the rear CCC control and wire it to the front CCC. Don't know why they didn't do that at the factory! To accomplish that task I will simply remove the data cable coming from the rear and zip-tie it out of way. Then I will make up a data cable that will run from the front AC to the middle AC along the inside ceiling which is covered up with a huge decorative ceiling panel. Lastly, I will reboot and reprogram the front CCC and rear CCC to reflect the changes made.

Does your Dynasty have a separate heat only zone for the bath with a hidden controller?

On 8/11/2024 at 9:02 AM, Dr4Film said:

I agree with you on why they did that...I'm like you on the front and rear... After you do that if you would let me know if you are satisfied with the change.  Watching...

6 minutes ago, Michael Powell said:

I agree with you on why they did that...I'm like you on the front and rear... After you do that if you would let me know if you are satisfied with the change.  Watching...

I guess I’m a little confused.  BEEN THAT WAY FOR YEARS….LOL.  Regardless of whether you have a single thermostat or two….each AC or Zone is controlled as an independent unit.  Zone 2 is the default configuration for the middle AC.  It really doesn’t matter about whether it is on the single thermometer or on the front or on the rear thermostat, as in Richard’s case, where he only has one zone up front.  The thermostat is not an Artificial Intelligence unit.  Each of the Dometic thermostats has FOUR ZONES….  Or it is capable of running or controlling up to FOUR.

OK…in MOST Monaco’s…..the front AC has NO REMOTE temperature sensor.  Zone 1 uses the internal temp sensor in the thermostat…which is by design….supposed to control that unit,  NOW, most, I thought….so this is a limited viewpoint, of the Patriot Thunders had a REMOTE TEMP SENSOR connected to the control module.  That was for “better control”.  Other Monaco’s, over the years…very few, also had on.

NOW…you flash or reset and the front Thermostat does a bunch of things.  First…it finds out HOW MANY ZONES.  Next…do any of you boy’s (sexist..LOL) have a remote temp sensor?   Raise your hands.  Zone one…typically does NOT.  If there is only one thermstat for the 3 units…like on a Camelot….then Zone 2 and Zone 3 have their arms up.  SO…then the Thermostat says….GOT IT.

From that point on….each unit’s ON and OFF is controlled by its OWN individual remote sensor….  NOW…did Monaco do a POOR JOB on the middle?  Maybe? Probably?   BUT rerouting the data cable and then having the Front Thermostat control it…..AIN’T GONNA CHANGE NOTHING….all one has done….  The Front Thermostat now knows it has a Zone 2.  The remote sensor STILL is controlling it.  There is NO “interconnection” between the zones on one thermostat….it will be on and off base on the remote sensor….

Whatever you set Zone 2 or any zone…for that matter….the REMOTE SENSOR attached to that unit….will control it….regardless of which thermostat it is on…

NOW….if the sensor is in the WRONG PLACE….abandon it…then figure out HOW to snake a NEW sensor from inside the wall to the controller in the rooftop AC Unit.  You will need to DISCONNECT the OLD sensor….attach or connect the new one.  RESET which ever thermostat that Zone 2 is on….and hope that solves it. M

From a practical standpoint…EXPERIMENT.  Get a new sensor….tape it to the spot you think will work best….then use blue tape and run it up the wall and put it in service….then play with it….

Moving zone 2 from the rear thermostat to the front….will NOT CHANGE how it operates….the REMOTE Sensor controls that….

On 8/14/2024 at 10:40 PM, Frank McElroy said:

Does your Dynasty have a separate heat only zone for the bath with a hidden controller?

Nope, I think they added the extra controller in 07 0r 08. Luckily, I don't have one.

On 8/15/2024 at 7:50 AM, Michael Powell said:

I will be making that change this winter when back home in Florida. I will also be adding Marine Anti-Rattle SS Latches to the large decorative ceiling panel that is currently held in place with a bolt. The latches will make it easier to access the air filters for the front AC's.

Boat Anti-Rattle Latch 316 Stainless Steel Marine Deck Lock Hasp,Lockable Hold Down Clamp Anti-Rattle Latch

On 8/15/2024 at 8:27 AM, Dr4Film said:

Nope, I think they added the extra controller in 07 0r 08. Luckily, I don't have one.

I will be making that change this winter when back home in Florida. I will also be adding Marine Anti-Rattle SS Latches to the large decorative ceiling panel that is currently held in place with a bolt. The latches will make it easier to access the air filters for the front AC's.

Adding the HIDDEN zone or Zone 4 had NO IMPACT on the AC units.  It was a Monaco THING.  The fact that it was available only impacted the AQUAHOT.  It is NO WAY connected to the AC units

Hooking up the Middle to the FRONT zone WILL NOT HAVE ANY IMPACT on the temperature control or the RUN TIMES or such of the Middle Unit.  The Thermostat controls each ZONE as a TOTALLY SEPARATE ZONE.  The Middle Zone has a Remote Sensor. It will operate the SAME on the FRONT as it does on the REAR.  Absolutely NO CHANGE in how it runs.  The only interaction between the units is the fact that they share duct work.

Bottom line....If you think that will make an impact....buy a piece of PHONE wire.  Look at the Diagram as to HOW to change the RJ fitting.  You only need to do ONE end.  Then....and this is TRICKY....You will need to go to the BEDROOM unit.  PULL the INLINE CONNECTOR that goes to the FRONT.  Take it UP FRONT.

We are running an off line test.  Monaco used a SPECIAL CONNECTOR.  If you order the cheap Phone Connectors from AMAZON.  THEY DO NOT WORK. A member has tested various ones that PURPORT to be wired correctly. I finally chased how a tech support for a PHONE and DATA supplier and he gave me the CORRECT number.  I have two vendors LOCATED. 

I intend to post this.  SO, be aware....you have to use the OEM Connectors and also raid the REAR UNIT.  Run you new cable along the wall or whatever.  TEST IT.  You are going to find....It will work the SAME WAY.  There is NO interconnections or such in the Thermostat.  Each thermostat has 4 zones.  It controls each ZONE based on the Temp Sensor reading.  The ONLY WAY to change or improve how it works.... RELOCATE the TEMP SENSOR or play around with the temperatures so that it does NOT run all the time.  Look at the DUCT work.  That influences it and you are NOT gonna change that....

BUY A NEW TEMP SENSOR.  MOUNT and EXPERIMENT. It matters NOT which Thermostat you use.

Hope this makes sense...  

08 camelot 43 ft.

Front air ( heat pump) controlled by thermostat, #2 hallway ( cool only ) remote in bedroom. #3 ( heat pump ) in bedroom controlled by remote in rear bath . Shutting rear bath door may cause frost bite at 3am. Just my past experience!  

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TommyL said:

08 camelot 43 ft.

Front air ( heat pump) controlled by thermostat, #2 hallway ( cool only ) remote in bedroom. #3 ( heat pump ) in bedroom controlled by remote in rear bath . Shutting rear bath door may cause frost bite at 3am. Just my past experience!  

Now THAT is fascinating.  I have a Camelot and our coaches are twins.  I only have TWO AC's.  BUT, I ALWAYS assumed that the Rear Bedroom was controlled by the Remote sensor on the wall.  Mine is on a open...no drafts...  area wall for the REAR AC.  From what you are posting....it seems like Monaco got the bright idea that the REAR BATHROOM was THE place to put the REAR Bedroom Remote.

OMG...  Well at least you know.

Thanks for the input.  The TAKEAWAY.  ONE thermostat can control FOUR separate ZONES...and they are NOT Connected nor have any "Logic or Interaction".  Wherever the Remote Sensor is....that is what is controlling that zone.  In MOST Monaco's and HR's, the FRONT unit is controlled by the sensor in the rear of the thermostat.  

In the Dynasty and such, there is a SEPARATE rear thermostat.  SO, that sensor is for Zone 1....BEDROOM.  Zone 2, Hallway, was THEN also on that Rear Thermostat.  Zone 1 up front was only ONE zone....and the sensor in the Thermostat....since Zone 1 was ZONE 1....did the controlling.

Thanks...

58 minutes ago, TommyL said:

08 camelot 43 ft.

Someone change out your mid unit, then mis- wire ?

All 3 should be heat pumps, mid unit should use remote sensor in bathroom, rear unit, remote sensor in bedroom.

9 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Someone change out your mid unit, then mis- wire ?

All 3 should be heat pumps, mid unit should use remote sensor in bathroom, rear unit, remote sensor in bedroom.

My rear unit uses the thermostat as the temp sensor. No remote sensor needed for the rear.

EXACTLY....and EACH ZONE is TOTALLY INDEPENDENT and has NO WIRING OR CONTROLS THAT tie or interact with the other.  The front T/S has a sensor inside the T/S and there is a sensor (Z2) in the Hallway and the rear Bedroom has a Sensor.  BUT, when that is ZONE 3....as you have 3 units....apparently some clever Monaco designer or assembler decided to put it in the REAR BATHROOM.

My 40 has a REAR Bedroom unit....but sensibly....the Sensor is on the wall adjacent to the laundry and cools great.

The downside....  You guys with THREE AC's get about slightly over 1,000 BTU's per FOOT....or capacity and I, with TWO 15,000 BTU units (30K total) spread over 40 Feet get only 750 BTU per foot.  THAT DOES make a difference....believe me....

• Like 1