Valid Front Air Compressor Runs Excessively

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

1 hour ago, Malewis11 said:

@Bill R I may have found it for my snowflake. Interesting @windsorbill06 #6 on the drawing I have says it’s on the chassis battery. That would be surprising for an aux compressor. I pulled #6 as well but it still ran. I have been focusing on the legend on the cover of the fuse box and a downloaded owners manual. After digging through some original owners manuals, I discovered a hand written note on a drawing that said the aux compressor is fuse #68. It’s wired to the house batteries and is listed as a spare on every other document I have. I pulled it today after getting some tire work done so I can’t confirm that it is the culprit but after a few days when I reinstall the fuse I will know for sure. IMG_0408.thumb.jpeg.eb5f40c9db5362d00a04e262bc27ceaa.jpeg

These are snowflakes.  My #68 is labeled 'air leveling' but it only the keyboard, not the aux pump.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2024 at 8:00 PM, Bill R said:

@Malewis11  There is no fuse I could find for the aux compressor on our "twin" coaches.  Trust me, I spent weeks researching, and there is no fuse I could find.  If you end up finding one, I would like to know.  When my aux compressor was running every 17 minutes, I just disconnected at the pressure switch until I was able to fix all the system leaks.  

Well @Bill R, I finally found the aux pump fuse. I have attached a pic of its location. It’s an in-line fuse connected to the unswitched battery post. It was very relaxing going to bed knowing it wasn’t about to fire up at 3am. I’m likely going to put a switch on it and mount it next to the gen slid switch.

On to the cause for the excessive running, does anyone know where the rear dump valves are located? 

IMG_0360.jpeg

On 8/12/2024 at 8:16 AM, JohnC3 said:

I have a valid 320c (if I remember correctly)

It has about 1.5 gallon ping tank that it can bring from 0 to 115psi in about 2 minutes. From 85 to  115 is about 30 seconds. Valid makes lots of pumps so YMMV. I would think that you either have a leak or your pump needs some attention. If you don't have a leak your pump output has dropped by 90%. Your pump COULD be shutting down due to overheating. Not sure what brand pump they put in for 2015. 

You may have to get underneath and use a soapy water spray to eliminate leaks.

Is the front air Guage low (<90psi) when the pump comes on? In 2008 I had a separate small tank for the aux pump to fill. That tank would allow the coach to level several times before needing to be pumped back up ( unless the bags were deflating  in which case it might only adjust once. The system was segmented to keep air from coming out of the airbags unless you pressed the dump valves.

If you don't find leaks, you might try to either rebuild the pump or replace it with a heavy duty or constant duty pump from viaair. They make good stuff.

I might order an appropriate replacement from Amazon, then compare the output of the old pump (you can find specs online from the part number on the pump. If the new pump pumps 3-10 times more air the the one one your coach (and you get a via air model that had a similar output) then swap them out. Otherwise, you need to find the leak in your air system.

Hope this helps at least a little. I found it easier once I got underneath and saw how it was setup.

I have found a leak in a rear air bag, but thanks for your advice. 

22 hours ago, Malewis11 said:

Well @Bill R, I finally found the aux pump fuse. I have attached a pic of its location. It’s an in-line fuse connected to the unswitched battery post.

I am going to check that out!  Thank you for sharing.

19 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

This may be a good thread for you to read!

Fixed my frequent aux compressor running.

Yep. Those switches go bad. Gotta feed them more rice!! 4x4 shops sell them too. Make sure the wires going to the switch has a loop in them, like a "U"  so water doesn't run down into the switch. 99% of the time that's what causes pre mature failure.  

7 minutes ago, Paul J A said:

Yep. Those switches go bad. Gotta feed them more rice!! 4x4 shops sell them too. Make sure the wires going to the switch has a loop in them, like a "U"  so water doesn't run down into the switch. 99% of the time that's what causes pre mature failure.  

Paul, my issue wasn't the pressure switch.

I had to pull the head off the compressor and clean the 'O' ring, and reed valve. Mine wasn't always seating properly after the compressor shut down, and my air pressure was backfeeding thru the compressor!

36 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Paul, my issue wasn't the pressure switch.

I had to pull the head off the compressor and clean the 'O' ring, and reed valve. Mine wasn't always seating properly after the compressor shut down, and my air pressure was backfeeding thru the compressor!

T y Ben.

On 8/17/2024 at 11:23 AM, Ivylog said:

Fortunately I have a dash switch for the compressor which was worn out. Replaced with a $100 twin cylinder and moved next to the generator.

IMG_0599.png

IMG_5949.jpeg

Is that an aux battery for gen start? .. or just to power the compressor?  

I've been thinking about moving my compressor since it's mounted now between the front wheels.  Was thinking of the compartment right behind it, above the propane tank.  Did you mount it next to genset for better air cooling?