Generator running on it own

Chargerman

A friend has a 2004 Dynasty and his generator is starting and stopping on its own about every 20 seconds. He had to pull the fuse to get it to stop. He’s coming to my location later today but I was hoping to get a heads up before he gets here. I was thinking the AGS is likely the issue but don’t know why it would suddenly change

There is a known problem with the wiring harness that connects the generator to the chassis/house wiring, it's on the passenger side.  It gets moisture in it, take it apart, spray with electric clean and use some dielectric grease.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chargerman said:

Ok. Thanks James. I’ll look there first

Several fixes from members….and common sense

Hair Dryer will dry out the connectors….but NOT a fix.

WD40 (Good enough for NASA….they invented it) will WATER DISPLACE (WD…LOL) the moisture.

CRC ELECTRONIC (NOT electical) Cleaner will displace or clean out any residual WD 40.

THEN….after Clean and DRY.  Plug and unplug a few times.  The contacts or the mating connections may be corroded….INSPECT and clean…carefully

Get 2 small packages of BULB GREASE (used on headlight bulbs). Use a Q-tip or toothpick and apply sparingly.  This will prevent further moisture issues and keep the “wet” pins from corroding…..

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, 

I am looking forward to seeing how that connection looks and I will do a PM on mine also. I will update in the next day or so since he now will not get here until tomorrow 

I have a 2005 HR Imperial and to find a readable wiring schematic has been a bear, can you post genset connection location.

If ever having this issue I'd know where to look?

The wiring harness is on the passenger side of the generator.  There is ~18" pigtail coming out of the generator with wiring connector on the end, this connects to the house/chassis side of the coach. 

I'll take a picture and post.

Dig into my friends generator issue today. The connector to the coach was in good shape but I cleaned it week and reassembled. Ended up finding that when I removed the fuse at the generator automatic temperature start the generator would stop starting and stopping on its own. With fuse removed the generator functions normally. Reinstalled the fuse and generator stars and shuts down repeatedly. I disconnected the main battery cable at both sets of batteries for a period of time. Reconnected and same symptoms came back. Appears generator auto start module has issues.

When I was going though things on the coach I found a fuse in the rear run box blown. Fuse is labeled “PCB power fuse”. I replaced the fuse and it immediately blew. Shut off battery banks and replaced fuse, turned on batteries and fuse is fine and the Big Boy engaged. This did not change the malfunctioning of the generator but I’m wondering what would have caused this fuse to blow multiple times?

Yes I did. After removing the fuse to confirm see if it solved the related starting issue I reinstalled it and presses the test button. Generator started and ran for a short while and turned off. I then sent the temp all the way down and the generator started and ran. So it is functioning properly in regards to set temp. I then tested it from the remote switch inside and that functions properly. Thought all was good and the issue was that the settings were wrong. I turned up the temp to 80 and set the run time at 3hrs. Went around back to button up the reset run box and the generator started and stopped repeatedly again so I pulled the fuse from the temperature start and it’s currently working properly With that fuse removed 

9 hours ago, Chargerman said:

Yes I did. After removing the fuse to confirm see if it solved the related starting issue I reinstalled it and presses the test button. Generator started and ran for a short while and turned off. I then sent the temp all the way down and the generator started and ran. So it is functioning properly in regards to set temp. I then tested it from the remote switch inside and that functions properly. Thought all was good and the issue was that the settings were wrong. I turned up the temp to 80 and set the run time at 3hrs. Went around back to button up the reset run box and the generator started and stopped repeatedly again so I pulled the fuse from the temperature start and it’s currently working properly With that fuse removed 

OK….NOW TO THE REAL PROBLEM.  You have the 5 KNOB AGS controller, assuming you have a Magnum inverter.  It would have been helpful to know if you had the AGS ENABLED on the Magnum Remote. Here is the background on the Magnum and the remotes and the AGS.

I can’t go back to 2006….but we have had members run tests between the 2008 MY and 2009…..so, for all that are following….please read…it is like War and Peace.

We KNOW that in 2008, the Rev Level of the Magnum Remote did NOT have the ability to “Program” or set the AGS parameters.  We KNOW than the remotes used in the 2009’s was a step HIGHER.  Those OEM Remotes had an OVERRIDE function….as in….The KNOBS were LOCKED out.  So, you programmed all the AGS parameters from the remote….time on, temp settings, voltage, etc.  every little “thingie” that the KNOBS set….was locked out.  So you had a simplier…as well as a more precise setup.

In the 2008 or older….the Remote would enable or disable the AGS Module….but you had to MANUALLY set the knobs.

Those 5 button AGS were not Magnum’s finest.  Magnum either had a bad lot….or it was global…as in the design was faulty.  They WORKED….but their “OMG….I’m BROKEN” failure was dismal.  NOW….for those with them and STILL working…..it was sporacid. BUT it was so bad, that Magnum offered a free (maybe $50?) FIX.  Ship it in….they worked on the board and changed the relays.  There are 3 relays (memory as Magnum told me the whole gory story when I complained circa 2011). BUT the volume of the repairs overwhelmed their tech folks….so they dropped it.

if a member’s 5 knob works….great…but bear in mind…it was a KNOWN HIGH FAILURE unit.  The new AGS-N had an additional relay and that solved the design issue. I had mine replaced under extended warranty circa 2013 and it worked and is still working.

Next up.  If one has UPGRADED or replaced the Remote…and that is also common.  Mine failed circa 2017.  Magnum and I had 5 calls and they had me run various experiments….bingo….REPLACE remote.  The failure in the remote was critical.  The PCB kept changing the programming parameters.  Low VAC and LBC DC and SIze of the bank would just change…ok for awhile, then the unit would not “auto cycle” and keep AC on when switching to house bank.  So….the remotes are a common failure.

BOTTOM LINE….if you disable the AGS from the remote and it doesn’t start the generator…..then when you have the AGS enabled and it does it….ODDS ARE BAD AGS.  There was a topic (search AGS KNOB) in TOPICS.  One member had disassembled and was going to replace the relays or see if there was a short on the main board.  IIRC, he never posted a followup.

THE GOOD NEWS….the AGS-N is pretty bulletproof.  Then newer ME-RC remote also has WAY more features.  NOW, one does need to call Magnum and read off the “tech data” from the remote.  They can tell you based on the REV LEVEL of the Inverter what is compatible.  Many folks have upgraded the remote and it works fine with the older Inverters.

That’s the story.  Now you need to disable the AGS and see if that stops the cycling.  If it doesn’t…..ODDS ARE ….Bad 5 Knob AGS.  Magnum has turned over their tech support….but they do have a diagnostic protocol and they can walk you through that…

Thanks Tom,

His AGS only has 2 knobs. One is for start temp and the other is run time. The remote is basically a rocker switch with off, test and enable positions. I ran the “test” from the base unit and also from the remote and it functions fine. I also set the unit to the coldest temp so it would force the generator to start and it also functioned properly. Then I set the temp and run time to where I thought was good for normal use. After a minute or two the generator started cycling on and off again. Had to pull the fuse from the AGS again. With fuse out the generator starts and runs fine from the dash or generator switch. Owner is going to replace the AGS controller. I was tempted to try mine in his coach but don’t want to possibly sacrifice mine

1 hour ago, Chargerman said:

Thanks Tom,

His AGS only has 2 knobs. One is for start temp and the other is run time. The remote is basically a rocker switch with off, test and enable positions. I ran the “test” from the base unit and also from the remote and it functions fine. I also set the unit to the coldest temp so it would force the generator to start and it also functioned properly. Then I set the temp and run time to where I thought was good for normal use. After a minute or two the generator started cycling on and off again. Had to pull the fuse from the AGS again. With fuse out the generator starts and runs fine from the dash or generator switch. Owner is going to replace the AGS controller. I was tempted to try mine in his coach but don’t want to possibly sacrifice mine

OK...mystery SOLVED.  I looked at your SIGNATURE and went with the 2006.  Your friend's 2004 as the OTHER BRAND (Freedom? Xantrex?) with the RC-7 REMOTE.

ALL BETS ARE OFF.....That is a horse of a different color.

BUT, the AGS info and history for the Magnum is correct...so I'm editing and leaving it here for general INFO...in case someone else makes the same mistake or is following.....

As I said....I was familiar with the 5 KNOB unit.  Now you fill in some much needed history.  BUT, Magnum and the AGS have had a very bumpy "RELATIONSHIP" and the first "Marriage" failed....thus the 5 Knob, it appears, was short lived....and the AGS-N is the current model.

The only thing one can do, again assuming a MAGNUM...and that was MY PREMISE....If the inverter is a different brand...then the manual needs to be read.

If it is a MAGNUM, then checking with them and running or reading the TECH SPECS will tell you what remote will work with the INVERTER and what AGS and whether or not the the AGS-N will work.

I am following with interest. This topic caught my eye as we had stray cats starting our generator at random. I made the connection after finding cat poo on top of the genset next to the local switch.

Fun fact, NASA did not invent WD40. Norm Larsen did, father of Brad Larsen a friend of mine in AZ.

As I had mentioned, his AGS only has two adjustments. Temperature and runtime. At this point I’m confident the issue is either a bad interior switch/sensor or a bad controller. Since the price for either of those individually is much more than buying them as a set he is going to order the set and will replace the interior switch first to see if that resolves it and if not then he will replace the controller.

On 8/16/2024 at 9:29 AM, Tom Cherry said:

OK...mystery SOLVED.  I looked at your SIGNATURE and went with the 2006.  Your friend's 2004 as the OTHER BRAND (Freedom? Xantrex?) with the RC-7 REMOTE.

ALL BETS ARE OFF.....That is a horse of a different color.

BUT, the AGS info and history for the Magnum is correct...so I'm editing and leaving it here for general INFO...in case someone else makes the same mistake or is following.....

As I said....I was familiar with the 5 KNOB unit.  Now you fill in some much needed history.  BUT, Magnum and the AGS have had a very bumpy "RELATIONSHIP" and the first "Marriage" failed....thus the 5 Knob, it appears, was short lived....and the AGS-N is the current model.

The only thing one can do, again assuming a MAGNUM...and that was MY PREMISE....If the inverter is a different brand...then the manual needs to be read.

If it is a MAGNUM, then checking with them and running or reading the TECH SPECS will tell you what remote will work with the INVERTER and what AGS and whether or not the the AGS-N will work.

I have had a similar issue on our ‘15 Dynasty but it only stars on it’s own and doesn’t shut down on it’s own. Also, the indicator light on the remote for the Start/Stop rocker switch does not illuminate so it doesn’t know the Jenny is running. Had it looked at in Decatur Service Center and then couldn’t find the problem so they sent me to Sullivan RV also in Decatur to diagnose. They are a Cummins/Onan dealer. They came back and said it is a problem with the circuit board in the control panel. Part is $1300.  Had to be ordered and we declined as we had an appointment to be at. This may not be the issue for starting/stopping. 

Tom Gibbens ’15 Dynasty 

4 hours ago, thomasgibbens said:

I have had a similar issue on our ‘15 Dynasty but it only stars on it’s own and doesn’t shut down on it’s own. Also, the indicator light on the remote for the Start/Stop rocker switch does not illuminate so it doesn’t know the Jenny is running. Had it looked at in Decatur Service Center and then couldn’t find the problem so they sent me to Sullivan RV also in Decatur to diagnose. They are a Cummins/Onan dealer. They came back and said it is a problem with the circuit board in the control panel. Part is $1300.  Had to be ordered and we declined as we had an appointment to be at. This may not be the issue for starting/stopping. 

Tom Gibbens ’15 Dynasty 

UNFORTUNATELY, the 10 KW and 12.5 KW have a KNOWN main board failure.  MOST folks will contact Flight Systems.  They are the EXPERTS and they sell the REFURBISHED boards.  They will ALSO diagnose and help you make sure that is the problem.  They will also TAKE BACK the board if that doesn't help.

REALLY THE BEST SUPPORT out there.  We have have so many members use then and learn and save money.

https://www.flightsystems.com/

Just passing it along.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ivan K said:

So his 2004 Xantrex does not have a RC7 control panel where all the settings are done? I think to remember that temp start setting box was an add-on.

Ivan

I don’t know what the RC-7 control panel is. It does have the inverter controller above the drivers window but scrolling thru the menus and looking at the manual, I did not see anything related to a AGS.