August 2024 Ouray, CO Trip and pictures

I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here in this section, however, I couldn't necessarily see anywhere else this topic would fit as it isn't a specific campground review or anything like that.  I haven't been on the forum for a while, and it seems like most activity is questions or problems people are experiencing rather than just some general chat or random pictures.

I thought I'd make a post of just traveling along with a few pictures of before and after the trip.

Coach pulled out of the shop preparing to connect the Jeep for our departure from home.

image.thumb.jpeg.d5f8fa6ef3a9d1fa61309ca8ee67bbab.jpeg

Our campsite for the week in a quant little box canyon in Ouray, CO.

I should have taken a couple more pictures as we had three Monaco coaches parked alongside in a row for the first three nights.  The couple next to us in a 2003/2004 Executive, I'm guessing about 42' or 43 footer.  They weren't very friendly, I tried to talk to them the next morning while we were getting the Jeep ready to leave and they were checking their ATV's over but they didn't want to talk.  The couple next to them had a 2002 Knight and were very friendly.  They stopped by a couple of times while the wife and I were sitting out and chatted.  Great people and although they only had their coach for a couple of years they were very pleased with their Monaco and loved traveling in it.  He also had a 2011 Jeep with a V8, but he had the 5.7 liter Hemi in his and was curious about my LS install into our 2011 Jeep Wrangler.

image.thumb.jpeg.ebfd75d708e2d4f2519ce19fc1b6e0a3.jpeg

First day out going up Corkscrew Gulch and over Hurricane Pass only revealed a small patch of snow.  They definitely didn't have a heavy snowfall winter last year as this was the only patch of snow we saw the entire trip.  The waterfalls were less impressive this year and the rivers and streams were also flowing less than normal.  Still stunning scenery though.

image.thumb.jpeg.fab8802c025bdff0ff98e266893d93f1.jpeg

We were fortunate that we saw a lot of wildlife throughout the week.  This moose was about 30 yards from us along a narrow canyon drive and didn't seem to be too bothered by us.  He even turned to let us get a full profile picture, like saying "hey, this is my good side."

image.thumb.jpeg.50da36dbabf7bcffe857aff08fe8656d.jpeg

I had set out to find this old cabin from the original 1969 John Wayne movie "True Grit".  It was easy to find and even had a placard stating it had been fairly recently renovated.  This was in the opening and closing scenes of the movie.

image.thumb.jpeg.49855b19eba77fcc7713664eddfd6258.jpeg

A shot the day before we left as a storm was rolling through the area.  We had no neighbors on the one side for the night.

image.thumb.jpeg.f8d31ae5167a6dee989ca3ff722d29a8.jpeg

Upon returning home the cleaning commenced as the ole' girl needed a very thorough cleaning after driving nearly the entire 450-mile trip home in a thunderstorm.  The coach and Jeep were filthy from the road spray.  I started with detailing the engine bay and generator before moving to the exterior.

image.thumb.jpeg.855fe5997eda196bd6f26c8a0ca2848e.jpeg

One side down, one to go.

image.thumb.jpeg.c2780aa01f1694f1e9a49c2f43e03098.jpeg

While going over it with a chamois I thought I'd snap a few pictures from the ladder.

image.thumb.jpeg.5681d83d666556dd0a1e0d35dcd99729.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.13663107f4baac531ace8a0fd21aca11.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ba564da8902810eb0fd0ad6bc17298c1.jpeg

Other side done and now just the rear cap.

image.thumb.jpeg.6e5632a01e33a9814929d7f25a22eb33.jpeg

Rear cap from the ladder while wiping it down.

image.thumb.jpeg.9012772cf5e250629780e618e4277ced.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dc4e3e1b3e970f59fd73bee700577ef4.jpeg

And backed back into the shop until the next trip.

image.thumb.jpeg.145913fccc41f09882f761dc4c38d1f2.jpeg

Every time I think about upgrading to something newer, I just can't even look because I have been so pleased with everything we've asked of our old Dynasty.  Even though we bought it nearly 18 years ago now and she has just over 143k miles, I just can't seem to part with it.

Thanks for looking.  

• Like 7

Why get rid of a coach that you are VERY happy with! The 2002 Windsor that I owned for 18+ years with no intentions of changing, well UNTIL I drove Bill Groves (RIP) 2006 Dynasty, then I was hooked. Then after looking for months at Dynasty's that were in worse shape than my Windsor, I gave up. But my curiosity got the best of me a few months later and I got back on the Internet and found the perfect 2006 Dynasty in Salt Lake City, the rest is history.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Why get rid of a coach that you are VERY happy with! The 2002 Windsor that I owned for 18+ years with no intentions of changing, well UNTIL I drove Bill Groves (RIP) 2006 Dynasty, then I was hooked. Then after looking for months at Dynasty's that were in worse shape than my Windsor, I gave up. But my curiosity got the best of me a few months later and I got back on the Internet and found the perfect 2006 Dynasty in Salt Lake City, the rest is history.

I am tending to agree with you here lately Richard.  Since purchasing our 2003 Dynasty back in early 2007, we have had the mindset that the wife and I would upgrade one more time before retirement.  As retirement is growing nearer and I look on occasion at other rigs, I just don't see anything that really gets me excited.  It would more than likely be the same or very close to the same age as our current 2003 Dynasty because I want to stay pre-2008 and the only thing I would really want is a bit more power.  However, that being said, the little Cummins ISL400 has done everything I've asked of it, even dragging a 13k pound enclosed race trailer around the western U.S. for the first 10 years we owned it.  Now towing the 6k pound Jeep, it thinks it has it easy.  🤣

We had a couple ask us while in Ouray what model and year of Monaco it was because I have it completely debadged.  When I told them it was a 2003 model year they were shocked as they thought it was only several years old.  Now anyone who is familiar with Monaco's can tell different by the overall design of various years, however, I was quite flattered considering there were some late model Dutch Stars across from us as well as several Monaco's of similar age to ours for comparison.

It still has me scratching my head at times though.  IF we were to get something of similar age or even something say 5 years newer, I would be tasked with doing many of the modifications and maintenance related items to the new (new to us/different) coach as I have already done to our current coach.  That is where the conundrum comes in.  😕  I seriously doubt I'll ever wear this one out and although it is an older coach, it was optioned out much better than most other Dynasty's of the same era.   Items such as the Onan 10k watt genny, three roof airs and Aqua-Hot that were options at the time and getting them on a smaller 40' coach was and is almost unheard of.  Maybe that's why it took me so long to find this one, as they are quite rare.

• Like 3

I thought I’d age out before our 04 Dynasty bought when it was 6 months old… only way to get 4 slides back then. Was happy with the 400 ISL 98% of the time…2% was when passing or above 10,000’. That was until we sold it to our daughter 6 years ago and got a 08 Navigator with a 06 525 ISX engine. Now I can pass when I can see another vehicle on the horizon and pull out on the Interstates into a smaller hole without holding other traffic up. Downside is instead of 7mpg my right foot gets 6. 

If you are tall, the 7’ ceiling is nicer than the Dynasty’s. The 2nd sink and wardrobe in the bedroom makes it bigger so I spend more time in there during the day. The fan above the bed is a real plus too.

Mike, with all you’ve done to your Dynasty, don’t drive a rig with 1700+ torque.

IMG_2652_Original.jpeg

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 2

Thanks Dick.  I love your Navigator and think that was a good move for the powertrain alone.  Like yourself, the ISL400 makes me happy about 98% of the time.  The other 2% is just not enough to justify right now. 

That's a great looking Navigator as well as I remember your old Dynasty being sharp looking.

Hey zmotorsports, thanks for sharing the memories and pics.

I have a new to me 2005 Imperial and have questions, was hoping to PM and ask a couple.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RVerBob said:

Hey zmotorsports, thanks for sharing the memories and pics.

I have a new to me 2005 Imperial and have questions, was hoping to PM and ask a couple.

You could, or I would suggest you ask them openly on the forum.  I know a lot about these vintages of Monaco's, but I don't know everything and there are a lot of smart people here. 

7 hours ago, Ivylog said:

I thought I’d age out before our 04 Dynasty bought when it was 6 months old… only way to get 4 slides back then. Was happy with the 400 ISL 98% of the time…2% was when passing or above 10,000’. That was until we sold it to our daughter 6 years ago and got a 08 Navigator with a 06 525 ISX engine. Now I can pass when I can see another vehicle on the horizon and pull out on the Interstates into a smaller hole without holding other traffic up. Downside is instead of 7mpg my right foot gets 6. 

If you are tall, the 7’ ceiling is nicer than the Dynasty’s. The 2nd sink and wardrobe in the bedroom makes it bigger so I spend more time in there during the day. The fan above the bed is a real plus too.

Mike, with all you’ve done to your Dynasty, don’t drive a rig with 1700+ torque.

IMG_2652_Original.jpeg

Dick, is that a door awning over your DS window?

Mike,

Beautiful coach. I’m a bit jealous of that engine bay, as my rear radiator coach won’t let me keep it that clean…

We have the same conversations about our 2006 Diplomat… it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the upper end Monacos, but I’ve spent 7 years and a pocketful getting everything like we want it.  The upside is it’s 10,000 lbs lighter, so the ISL400 is plenty of engine for it. 

We’ve looked at some beautiful coaches with intent to purchase… most recently a 2018 Dutch Star 4018 with a Spartan chassis that had everything we *don’t* have in our coach… bath and a half, king bed, tag, side radiator, Oasis, big awnings, etc… but always seem to end up sticking with what we have.  

On 8/15/2024 at 9:58 AM, zmotorsports said:

I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here in this section, however, I couldn't necessarily see anywhere else this topic would fit as it isn't a specific campground review or anything like that.  I haven't been on the forum for a while, and it seems like most activity is questions or problems people are experiencing rather than just some general chat or random pictures.

I thought I'd make a post of just traveling along with a few pictures of before and after the trip.

Coach pulled out of the shop preparing to connect the Jeep for our departure from home.

image.thumb.jpeg.d5f8fa6ef3a9d1fa61309ca8ee67bbab.jpeg

Our campsite for the week in a quant little box canyon in Ouray, CO.

I should have taken a couple more pictures as we had three Monaco coaches parked alongside in a row for the first three nights.  The couple next to us in a 2003/2004 Executive, I'm guessing about 42' or 43 footer.  They weren't very friendly, I tried to talk to them the next morning while we were getting the Jeep ready to leave and they were checking their ATV's over but they didn't want to talk.  The couple next to them had a 2002 Knight and were very friendly.  They stopped by a couple of times while the wife and I were sitting out and chatted.  Great people and although they only had their coach for a couple of years they were very pleased with their Monaco and loved traveling in it.  He also had a 2011 Jeep with a V8, but he had the 5.7 liter Hemi in his and was curious about my LS install into our 2011 Jeep Wrangler.

image.thumb.jpeg.ebfd75d708e2d4f2519ce19fc1b6e0a3.jpeg

First day out going up Corkscrew Gulch and over Hurricane Pass only revealed a small patch of snow.  They definitely didn't have a heavy snowfall winter last year as this was the only patch of snow we saw the entire trip.  The waterfalls were less impressive this year and the rivers and streams were also flowing less than normal.  Still stunning scenery though.

image.thumb.jpeg.fab8802c025bdff0ff98e266893d93f1.jpeg

We were fortunate that we saw a lot of wildlife throughout the week.  This moose was about 30 yards from us along a narrow canyon drive and didn't seem to be too bothered by us.  He even turned to let us get a full profile picture, like saying "hey, this is my good side."

image.thumb.jpeg.50da36dbabf7bcffe857aff08fe8656d.jpeg

I had set out to find this old cabin from the original 1969 John Wayne movie "True Grit".  It was easy to find and even had a placard stating it had been fairly recently renovated.  This was in the opening and closing scenes of the movie.

image.thumb.jpeg.49855b19eba77fcc7713664eddfd6258.jpeg

A shot the day before we left as a storm was rolling through the area.  We had no neighbors on the one side for the night.

image.thumb.jpeg.f8d31ae5167a6dee989ca3ff722d29a8.jpeg

Upon returning home the cleaning commenced as the ole' girl needed a very thorough cleaning after driving nearly the entire 450-mile trip home in a thunderstorm.  The coach and Jeep were filthy from the road spray.  I started with detailing the engine bay and generator before moving to the exterior.

image.thumb.jpeg.855fe5997eda196bd6f26c8a0ca2848e.jpeg

One side down, one to go.

image.thumb.jpeg.c2780aa01f1694f1e9a49c2f43e03098.jpeg

While going over it with a chamois I thought I'd snap a few pictures from the ladder.

image.thumb.jpeg.5681d83d666556dd0a1e0d35dcd99729.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.13663107f4baac531ace8a0fd21aca11.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ba564da8902810eb0fd0ad6bc17298c1.jpeg

Other side done and now just the rear cap.

image.thumb.jpeg.6e5632a01e33a9814929d7f25a22eb33.jpeg

Rear cap from the ladder while wiping it down.

image.thumb.jpeg.9012772cf5e250629780e618e4277ced.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dc4e3e1b3e970f59fd73bee700577ef4.jpeg

And backed back into the shop until the next trip.

image.thumb.jpeg.145913fccc41f09882f761dc4c38d1f2.jpeg

Every time I think about upgrading to something newer, I just can't even look because I have been so pleased with everything we've asked of our old Dynasty.  Even though we bought it nearly 18 years ago now and she has just over 143k miles, I just can't seem to part with it.

Thanks for looking.  

Looks great Mike. I can understand not wanting to part with her. After 18 years she’s become like an old friend and you know her so well. 
My dad bought a new travel trailer in 1967. We as family of five, we took it all over the eastern US for many years. He gave it to me in 1985, and I kept it until it fell apart. Every time I walked inside it, I felt at home. My DW not so much. Lol. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome pics Mike! That looks like a great RV park. We have stayed at the Silverton Lakes Rv Resort in Silverton but might have to check this one out.

What route did you take to get to Ouray? Did you go up through Dolores, Telluride, Ridgway? I've been to Ouray from Silverton on the 550 (Million Dollar Hwy), but some of those corners are really tight going down into Ouray!