Awning topper stitching 07 Monaco sig

Stitching on one of my awning toppers on my 07Sig has started to come undone. Has anyone ever stitched a small section themselves and how did you do it? It is on my front passenger side pop out and is only about 6 in long. Want to stop it before it goes any more. It is not torn only the stitches have come undone.

IMG_1375 2.jpeg

IMG_1376 2.jpeg

IMG_1378 3.jpeg

I did that earlier this year . . . . You'll need to remove the topper.  There's a ton of YouTube videos on removal. 

Extend the slide out.  Crank the topper spring by hand and block it to relieve spring tension.  I used giant vice grips but some might have holes line up where you can block it with a pin. 

On the coach remove a screw in the gutter so the end of the topper will slide out. 

Some toppers may slide out the end of the "drum" but I had to drill an oblong hole in the channel that holds the topper end large enough to slide the topper seam through it.  If you do drill a hole make sure to file the edges smooth. 

Slide out the topper.

I used a leather awl and waxed UV resistant thread, but I probably should have taken it to a sail shop cause hand stitching is a chore and probably unreliable.

Put it all back together.  You'll probably need a 2nd person to help feed the topper back in the channels. 

- bob

Just now, cbr046 said:

I did that earlier this year . . . . You'll need to remove the topper.  There's a ton of YouTube videos on removal. 

Extend the slide out.  Crank the topper spring by hand and block it to relieve spring tension.  I used giant vice grips but some might have holes line up where you can block it with a pin. 

On the coach remove a screw in the gutter so the end of the topper will slide out. 

Some toppers may slide out the end of the "drum" but I had to drill an oblong hole in the channel that holds the topper end large enough to slide the topper seam through it.  If you do drill a hole make sure to file the edges smooth. 

Slide out the topper.

I used a leather awl and waxed UV resistant thread, but I probably should have taken it to a sail shop cause hand stitching is a chore and probably unreliable.

Put it all back together.  You'll probably need a 2nd person to help feed the topper back in the channels. 

- bob

Do you think you can loosen it enough just to slide it out enough to stitch and then put it back in without taking the whole topper off? Taking there whole topper off is a major chore as there are big bolts that hold it to the coach if I remember correctly . We had to get a new topper for our full length slide because the bracket on one end broke and it was just hanging on and tore the material

18 minutes ago, grizzly said:

Do you think you can loosen it enough just to slide it out enough to stitch and then put it back in without taking the whole topper off?

I think it would be near impossible to stitch in place, but go ahead - go for it.

- b

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

I think it would be near impossible to stitch in place, but go ahead - go for it.

- b

DOUBLE DITTO.  OK, it probably can be done...but you are going to have to pull the ends caps and secure the spring and do everything....but pull it out.  How do you plan on stitching....HAND or on a Commercial sewing machine.  You need to be especially careful about the thread selection.

The Sunbrella fabric is not the greatest....and the stitching fails.  I had mine replaced with the upgraded Vinyl in 2015.  Only got 6 years and it was stored under cover at all times.  The TALIN RV Vinyl is remarkable.  If I were going to pull it out....I would order a NEW ONE and pop it in.  You save the labor....and you will never have to do this again.  TRUST ME...you will be doing this until the fabric breaks down.  Pay me NOW....Pay me LATER...

Good Luck.

Just now, Tom Cherry said:

DOUBLE DITTO.  OK, it probably can be done...but you are going to have to pull the ends caps and secure the spring and do everything....but pull it out.  How do you plan on stitching....HAND or on a Commercial sewing machine.  You need to be especially careful about the thread selection.

The Sunbrella fabric is not the greatest....and the stitching fails.  I had mine replaced with the upgraded Vinyl in 2015.  Only got 6 years and it was stored under cover at all times.  The TALIN RV Vinyl is remarkable.  If I were going to pull it out....I would order a NEW ONE and pop it in.  You save the labor....and you will never have to do this again.  TRUST ME...you will be doing this until the fabric breaks down.  Pay me NOW....Pay me LATER...

Good Luck.

Fabric is still in great shape. Heavy duty cloth like. Just the stitches came undone. Will probably pull the whole thing and take into a shop to get stitched. Live near a harbor town should be able to find someone to do it

• Like 1

It happend to us with the slide toppers. I removed them an the DW stitched them using her sewing machine. Make sure to use outdoor cotton thread. 
We were able to get several more years of use before we replaced all the toppers, maybe a little prematurely. 

10 years is when the thread start breaking so pull it off and have all 4 edges re-sewn with UV resistance thread. I’ve done 3 rigs (12 slides) this way although I cut the used off on 3 of the 4 slides as there’s enough unused to still cover the slide. O4 Dynasty was in 2014 and they are still in good shape at 20 years. Did our 08 in 2018 and the small portion of the large LR topper (there’s not enough unused to bcut all of the used off) ripped last year so replaced it with vital heat sealed seams. 
A nail will hold the spring and by taking one end cap off you can slide the fabric out. Unfortunately you can’t just reverse the fabric as the beads are a different diameter.

I've replaced all my slide toppers several years ago with the same sunbrella canvas as original.  I used good industrial machine.  I recommend either lifetime thread (tenara or ptfe) or UV Polyester in either v92 or v138 such as A&E sunstop.  It is not a difficult job. 

Edited by Dennis T

My stitching was starting to come undone ~10 years ago.  This was on my larger awning. 

I bought a sail repair kit which had the special needle/punch and also a bottle of the thread adhesive.  I went through and restitched the bad sections on several awnings, adding the thread adhesive after I was done and it has held since then.

Sooner or later I'll have to get new toppers but for now the repair worked. 

3 hours ago, jacwjames said:

My stitching was starting to come undone ~10 years ago.  This was on my larger awning. 

I bought a sail repair kit which had the special needle/punch and also a bottle of the thread adhesive.  I went through and restitched the bad sections on several awnings, adding the thread adhesive after I was done and it has held since then.

Sooner or later I'll have to get new toppers but for now the repair worked. 

What was the kit call3ed and where did you get it?

9 hours ago, timaz996 said:

With a section that short, I would wrap clear awning repair tape around it and put it back in the slot.

What is tape called and where did you get it?

The thread on the Sunbrealla slide toppers on my 09 started failing a couple years ago.  I had the same thought about removing and sewing, as some of the toppers were still in decent shape.  I'm a boat owner, I understand top repairs, having seams resewed, patches added, many times over the years.   However, upon closer inspection, I discovered a few tears, worn fabric, and disintegrated/damaged channel ployrods and toppers pulling out of channels.  In addition, the fabric had stretched over the years and even with an additional wind on the longest slide, water would still accumulate in the topper and they would flap noisily in windy conditions.   Which means when wintering in Florida, they are always flapping!  

I decided to replace. After some research, and at the recommendation of many on this site, I ordered new toppers from Stone Vos for all 4 slides and the door awning.   Stone Vos is one of Chris Throgmarten's rv products and repair businesses.  If you know Chris, his products are well designed and use quality materials.    Chris and I had a conversation about the materials used in the past (when Sunbrealla made good stuff, like the 30-year-old Bimini top on my Sea Ray-still in great condition) compared to the Chinese made Sunbrealla of the last 15 years or so. Stone Vos also uses a unique European poly thread, that has excellent wear and weather resistance ratings.  While Chris is no longer part of the ownership of Stone Vos, his ex-wife and their team do an excellent job and are very supportive of the Monaco community, as Chris has also done for years.  

Stone Vos RV Awnings - RV Toppers, Replacement Awnings,   @throgmartin

Couldn't be happier with the customer service, ease of ordering, delivery and the final product.  The quality is unsurpassed, and the pricing was reasonable.  

Last winter in Florida I hired an independent RV Service tech, staying at a neighboring RV park, to help me remove and install the toppers.  We removed all the toppers as step one, and I cleaned and removed any loose or damaged tape and resealed all the slides with new Eternabond tape and caulked as needed. This was not a fun job, but very necessary.     I also needed time to order and replace a few parts like:  severely rusted center support rollers, etc. 

The installation It's waaaay easier with two.  Especially feeding the new toppers into the channels on the roller tube and body.   His experience was invaluable, he was a Holiday Rambler owner, similar vintage and we shared a common appreciation for the build quality of our coaches.  You cannot use the big channel lock method on all Carefree awning roller tubes!   Make sure you know how to secure the spring before you disassemble!   I like the A-Z guy, however, do your research as not all those methods apply to all configurations.  

Love the new toppers, the Coachguard Arcylic fabric is great, no stretching, no pooling and no Flapping!  The Yorkshire has 4 slides, some three large ones,  over 51 feet combined,  for less than $1400. 

Thought I would give you my feedback for any of those thinking of replacing instead of repairing.  Unfortunately, I did a lousy job of documenting this process, however I did take a few pics of the deteriorated tape on the top of the slides. 

Looking down from the roof edge, Image of the tape lifting at the body edge of the coach: 

IMG_0926.thumb.JPG.42b49e52f4b6907ddcf346eb30409ef5.JPG

Another body side shot: 

IMG_0928.thumb.JPG.0b991cf8e2e70229f4bcaf684b03fdee.JPG

Outer Edge of Slide: 

IMG_0930.thumb.JPG.b3566a4b81f7eb16f7fe92462dfb3046.JPG

Like Bob’s mine failed.  NOW I have no idea if the topper model was the same.  But on the Camelots, there was a DESIGN GOOF.  The topper would rub or abrade under the metal cover….back edge.  One genius owner went to AutoZone and bought the “reel” of the Black Door Edge guard plastic.  Bought 2.  He then covered the back edge of the cover so that the plastic door edge guard was hitting the fabric…. Mine was wearing there after 6 years.

I still have the plastic on.  Probably NOT needed since I upgraded to the same vinyl that the Prevost toppers are made from.

Juat passing on.  If you see a wear line when the topper is out….from the roof.  A stitch or the plastic door edge guard might be a wise addition.

5 hours ago, grizzly said:

What was the kit call3ed and where did you get it?

What is tape called and where did you get it?

It is a clear tape and I got it on Amazon and it is called awning repair tape. Clean the area with a little alcohol and put the tape on. It stays very well. I have a small 2 in.² piece in the middle of my awning that has been on there three years. 
on another note, as I have said on here before I got tired of all the maintenance and noise of slide out toppers and went with the True Toppers last year and I love them.

Edited by timaz996
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 5:54 PM, timaz996 said:

It is a clear tape and I got it on Amazon and it is called awning repair tape. Clean the area with a little alcohol and put the tape on. It stays very well. I have a small 2 in.² piece in the middle of my awning that has been on there three years. 
on another note, as I have said on here before I got tired of all the maintenance and noise of slide out toppers and went with the True Toppers last year and I love them.

TEAR-AID Fabric Repair Kit, Type A Clear Patch for Canvas, Fiberglass, Leather, Polyester, Nylon & More, 3in x 5ft Roll, Single Pack

This is good stuff.  They have two types, I've used it on vinyl and fabric covers for years.  Used it on the tears on my toppers before replacement. 

Ours came out while we were traveling. I carry a sewing machine with us and do upholstery. Since it was the larger topper we had angst but removerd it and put it through the sewing machine. While it was off I sewed all other seams- one and done. It required Ed’s help to help feed the fabric since the roll had to be advanced

Note: Do not use cotton or nylon thread. Polyester thread will withstand the UV rays. Poly thread will melt and curl when lit with a match. It will not catch fire.

Sharon