Heliotrope Wiring

RVerBob
Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

Hey all, all the wiring has been cut to the solar on roof and batteries and I'm trying to re store.

Repaired all wiring on roof and solar charger is working, my question is the fuses at house & chassis are missing.

Will locate wiring but not sure of type of fuse holder, I've read and researched the forum but no wiring.

I've found temp. sensor at house batteries, not sure how to test if working. Any pics. of fuses would help

• Solution
2 minutes ago, RVerBob said:

Hey all, all the wiring has been cut to the solar on roof and batteries and I'm trying to re store.

Repaired all wiring on roof and solar charger is working, my question is the fuses at house & chassis are missing.

Will locate wiring but not sure of type of fuse holder, I've read and researched the forum but no wiring.

I've found temp. sensor at house batteries, not sure how to test if working. Any pics. of fuses would help

If you have the MAGNUM BTS (Battery Temp Sensor), then the only way to test it would be to remove it and hold it up and then heat it up with a hair dryer and see if the TEMP Changes.  There is a Function on the Magnum remote.  Press TECH.  TEMP SETTINGS will appear.  Push the BLACK KNOB IN...or click it.  That shows the BTS temp.  It should be a the AMBIENT or outside temperature.  You want to test....then that gets tricky.  You need to get a GEL PACK...like you use for HOT and COLD.  Then freeze the GEL pack.  Put the temp sensor in the Gel Pack and fold it over.  If the Reading DROPS....bingo....GOOD to GO.  Like wise....heat the Gel Pack in the Microwave.  Repeat. 

That's the way to do it.  BTW...the BTS is one of those inputs that some feel are essential....and others don't.  In some RARE CASES....it will short out...and cause mega issues.  If you want to prevent that....then jury rig using duct tape or zip tied and attach it to the case (side or top) of the battery case.  That electrically isolates it.  These Have shorted (as in shorted to NEGATIVE) and caused the Magnum remote to fail....usually temporarily.  You have to do a Soft or Hard restart...with the BTS unplugged....to determine that.  I ran mine unplugged and then was "chided" and plugged it back in. BUT, if the Inverter FAILS or does Funky things...it GOES OFF.

If you do NOT have a Magnum, read the manual on your inverter and ascertain if the TEMP is displayed somewhere on the remote.

That's it...

FWIW....The BTS sensor is supposed to be mounted, per the manual, on the REAR House Battery NEGATIVE TERMINAL....looks like a "WIRE", but is actually a small data cable with and RJ11 fitting on the other end.

Thanks Tom, I've ordered a temp. sensor for the Magnum, it's the Heliotrope solar charger I'm working on.

Fuses on house & chassis are missing, need to Identify fuse housing, I know sizes from manuale.

M&M Elec. out of Ohio said solar is working, replaced chassis batteries and realized no wiring from solar.

Will tone out and try to find wiring, so charger working but not charging anything

Bought the coach from an auction and trying to restore to her original glory.

My question is are they just ordinary inline fuse holder or something else.

Not sure on what that looks like or location.

I do have a Magnum Inverter/charger.

That Trace Freedom is for the solar only?

I do plan on going to the Monacoers gathering, are those some questions I can ask and get help with.

Should I disconnect solar from Heliotrope 45D, until I find all the wiring.

This is all new to me and over my head.

5 hours ago, RVerBob said:

Not sure on what that looks like or location.

I do have a Magnum Inverter/charger.

That Trace Freedom is for the solar only?

I do plan on going to the Monacoers gathering, are those some questions I can ask and get help with.

Should I disconnect solar from Heliotrope 45D, until I find all the wiring.

This is all new to me and over my head.

The wires that you do disconnect from the controller, be sure to tape them up with electrical tape independently.

On mine, the house fuse was an ordinary 30a blade fuse inline (yellow) at the first house battery + terminal that also fed the inverter.  Nothing at the chassis battery so that wire (smaller Yellow) ran to the RR box and explained why I always had some voltage on the chassis Big Boy relay terminal even with the chassis disconnect switch off.  Also have ordinary inline blade fuse holders at the Heliotrope unit for the monitoring wiring (orange) to the Aladdin.  So on mine, the solar would charge the house but not the chassis IF the respective disconnect switch was off.  As you are rewiring it, I'd do it so it makes most sense for your situation. The way mine is factory wired it can seem confusing as the solar can say 25 amps but house discharging 17 (as the solar is at the house battery terminal) and no idea how much of that 25 available amps is being split to the chassis...or going into the battery vs supplying the real time 17a DC load. Also my Heliotrope temp sensor seems to be on the wrong Heliotrope terminals but things are working so I haven't messed with it...and I don't think the temp sensor would make much difference with such low charging currents anyway.  On the other hand, a failed Magnum sensor made a big difference to the Magnum.

YMMV

Edited by amphi_sc
Corrected wire color

Thank you for all the help, I did track down a 50 amp breaker and 5 amp for chassis and all seems to work.

Last owner bought from Insurance Co. and replaced batteries, he was afraid of the solar damaging batteries so he cut all wiring to panels.

All the miles of wiring, I'm trying to understand and bring back to original (close), Now on to AGS. Daunting and maybe never ending.