Air Brake Compressor Line

Go to solution Solved by malcoll,

So I brought our 2003 Monaco Windsor home to take camping tonight, and when I went back out this afternoon, my air pressure guage does not move up.  I could hear air escaping when the engine is running, climbed underneath and found that the line from the engine mounted compressor to the filter/dryer has a pin hole in it.... does anyone know the part number, or what size fittings so I can go buy a new air hose?  It is steel braided, but what size are the fittings on each end?

Is there any way to patch it short term to get it back to the storage lot till I can get a new hose?

I would not try to patch it. Just take it off and take it to a heavy duty truck parts place or shop and they should be able to match it up with one that will work.

• Like 1

Yeah... I think I found the hose... from Fleetpride.... around $150... but I cannot get the darn thing off at the compressor... it is on there TIGHT..... SUPER TIGHT.... I am going to have to call a mobile RV guy I think.. and the RV is sitting in the street in front of my house!

If that's a female coupler on the hose, use a small hammer with a bigger hammer behind the fitting as "back up" smack the flat of the nut a few times, then move both hammers around the flats doing each one in turn, or as many as you can reach.  If you can't fit a hammer behind, then another piece of steel will work, like a splitting wedge, part of a hatchet, trailer hitch ball, whatever.  If you can't get anything behind the nut, don't smack that flat very hard at all.  Should loosen up much easier after a little persuasion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malcoll said:

Yeah... I think I found the hose... from Fleetpride.... around $150... but I cannot get the darn thing off at the compressor... it is on there TIGHT..... SUPER TIGHT.... I am going to have to call a mobile RV guy I think.. and the RV is sitting in the street in front of my house!

OK...you need a LINE WRENCH....Commonly called a FUEL LINE WRENCH.  That is a HEX wrench head....it is forged a special way...we used to make them.

Google Line Wrench SAE (that designates it as METRIC).  Buy the one specifically to fit the air line.  You should also spray fitting with a penetrating oil.  Liquid Wrench is the old standard.  Many have a "home brew" of ATF and Acetone.  Not tried it myself...  I don't understand how it works.  When you swam it on or use a paint brush to slather it on...the acetone starts to volatilize....but HEY...if it works.

BOTTOM LINE...  Soak it for 24 hours.  Use the LINE wrench. Be careful with "excessive uncontrolled force".  So, try to find a COMBO Wrench.  Use the HEX HEAD insdie the OPEN END of the Line Wrench.  That sounds sort of SAY WHAT.  You put the Line wrench on the fitting.  Then, use a LONGER Combo wrench...the OPEN hex end.  Then you have the OPEN END (the Parallel pieces) of the Line Wrench to MATE the Closed or BOX END of the Combo wrench.  If you put the Line wrench on and the Hex just comes out....you reverse the Line Wrench.  You use the OPEN or Parallel ends as a HOOK and the Combo wrench Hex as an EYE.  Maybe there is a Youtube video.  It works...

NEXT UP.  You do NOT NEED an RV TECH.  FAR FRONT IT.  You need a MOBILE HEAVY DUTY (TRACTOR TRAILER) TECHNICIAN.  RV TECHS don't know Diddle Squat about Air Brakes.  SO, call a Truck Repair shop.  THEY specialize in AIR and BRAKES...

Good Luck.  YES..  RV's are great fun.  We learn all sorts of skills that are not very marketable...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since there is limited access the compressor may have to be worked on from the bedroom slide. 

In my case my Air filter housing is mounted directly above the compressor and the cross over pipe going to the CAC/Turbo would probably have to be removed.

If you do have to call a mobile truck mechanic do yourself a favor and clear out the rear closet to be able to pull up the engine hatch.  Do it before the tech gets there and lay down some old sheets.  Make everything as convenient as you can.   Will save you $$$$ in the long run. 

Not really sure on how my compressed air hose is run, wonder if a chain strap wrench would work. 

I was able to put a patch on mine using a 2 ply water hose and 4 spiral clamps. Ended up cutting the hose at the hole and put on a reusable fitting… can’t find the part # for it.

IMG_0727.png

• Solution

Mobile tech came out this morning....he had the right tools and the expertise.   Accessed it from underneath (so I was going in the right direction)....ends were pretty seized from age but he had it put and new line installed in 1.5 hours...Saturday morning service call, parts and labor just shy of $900.....I thought about patching but just thought best to pay the guy who does it for a living.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He built a hose with proper fittings.....combo steel line and rubber line, properly routed.  Biggest challenge was that the compressor end was seized on and I could not get a wrench on it and I did not have the proper wrench.  I probably could have done it, but it would have taken me 5 times longer to complete...so I paid for expertise and speed....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

From memory there is a requirement that the compressor hose has special routing instructions, maybe someone can chime in on this. 

There is a minimum length, and constant downhill slope.