Braking at red light gave me low air warning

Go to solution Solved by Frank McElroy,

Newbie here - I ended up sitting at a red light (with me foot firmly on the brake) for what seemed to be 2-3 minutes and my low air warning came on.  After I got the green light, and drove away, my air came back to normal quickly.  Is this normal or do I have a problem?

If you were holding your foot steady, then you have a problem, the service brakes are leaking somewhere, with the engine off and the wheels blocked, release the parking brake, and apply the foot brakes and have somebody walk around listening for the air leak. 

The brakes have an anti compounding valve, so if you apply the foot brake at the same time as the park brake, it will not apply both to the rear, so if it leaks like that it's the front brakes leaking. 

• Like 2

• Solution
8 minutes ago, willema said:

Newbie here - I ended up sitting at a red light (with me foot firmly on the brake) for what seemed to be 2-3 minutes and my low air warning came on.  After I got the green light, and drove away, my air came back to normal quickly.  Is this normal or do I have a problem?

Yes you have a serious problem that needs to be addressed before the coach is safe to drive.  With brakes applied pressure drop needs to be less than 3 PSI per minute.  Here is a link to a file on how to do a safety pre-trip on air brakes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Scotty Hutto changed the title to Braking at red light gave me low air warning

Yes watch the video definitely but your issue sounds like a diaphragm in one of your brake pots has a hole or tear and could be front or rear. To find out which one as Benjamin said have someone apply brakes with parking brake released while walking around and find out which corner has the leak. If it turns out to be the drive axle  that is your parking brakes so not a do it yourself job if not completely familiar with how it works could be very dangerous as heavy duty spring in there. Take it to a professional. Good luck and be safe, Don 

All - 

A great mobile diesel mechanic fixed the problem while I was at Ft. Wilderness.  If you ever need assistance while you're there - On Call Diesel Service (John Bueckert (754-261-6917).  He replaced the right rear valve.  Good as new.

Thanks for everyone's help.

• Like 3