Dometic Penguin AC issues. Need parts information

So my HR Endeavor has the original duemetic penguin a/c heater in the roof (DUH🤦‍♂️) an the rattle im getting from the fan has me on edge, im needing bot the cage an the motor suspension bushings. Are parts still available? If so to whom or where do i go to find them?IMG_5962.thumb.jpeg.486eeaae291204c08f2f02a7a90b9df6.jpegIMG_6297.thumb.jpeg.07a1a38b4fa519326ac60484d4596488.jpeg

Edited by Tom Cherry
Inappropriate title. Edited to comply with forum guidelines

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Dometic Penguin AC issues. Need parts information

Yes,

Contact Lippert for parts.  Use the PARTS option when you call.  You will need the Model and SN.  They can assist in what parts.  But you will have to be specific as to “what” the issue or the problem is.

From your post, it looks like you and narrowed down the issue.

If you google….. Dometic Penguin Model (XXXXX or whatever yours is) Parts List, the parts breakdown is there and you will have the OEM PN for each item.

Many sites like Bryant or RV Upgrades are experts and have the parts.  Lippert will provide the PN also and then a coat and you can competitive shop.

It took 3 clicks to get this....after I googled your model and used parts list after it.

https://myrvworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Duo-Therm-630025-321-Parts-List.pdf

Now you have the information....

Good Luck....

With the age of your unit the fan motor bearing are probably worn.  Did you check for end play on the shaft?

Sometimes the noise is the fan blades on either end hitting the cage they run in and you only have to adjust the position of the fans.  They have a propeller style fan blade on the front and a squirrel cage fan on the rear.   To adjust the fan blade position on the shaft requires a long Allen wrench along with some work to remove the covers.

I just replaced the fan motor on one of my original Penguin A/C units.  The first motor I ordered was the new style and did not fit.  

This style motor fits the newer Penguin II and Brisk Air II.  You can identify this newer style motor by the four mounting holes; two on each side of the motor case: Fan Motor Replacement Genteq F48AF70A61 Fan Motor, Dometic Brisk Air II Fan Motor

This is the style motor that fits the older original Penguin and Brisk Air units.  You can identify these motors by the mounting studs on each end of the motor; one on the back and two on the front.  Fan Motor Replacement Genteq F48AE48A61, Compatible with Dometic Duo-Therm Penguin II

There are some YouTube videos on replacing these fan motors. This Hillbilly RV video covers replacing the older style fan motor.  

Let me know if you have any questions?

• Like 2

If it’s just loose  from the rubber bushings, I’d try some rubber washers to get it mounted where it belongs and snug the bolts up good. I used a 1/8” Allen wrench to slide the squirrel cage fans on the shaft so they were clear of the shrouds. I just installed a brand new Dometic Penguin 11 on my coach. The fan motor assembly wasn’t even close to being tight on the mounts from the factory. Couldn’t even turn the fan assembly by hand. (Mounting bolts had about 3/16” gap at the head.  Squirrel cage jammed against the shroud. ) It’s fine now.
Bet you’ll be able to fix it without too much trouble if the motor shaft isn’t loose in the bearings. You can’t lube them. They’re factory sealed.  A new motor around $200. so I’m keeping my old one from the 9 year old,same model,unit which is just fine. Capacitors too.  Dometic quality control is awful. Should not have to work on a new unit to get it running before you install it. I’ve read reviews on these units noting the same problems. Lots of luck 😋.

33 minutes ago, Fasthobie16 said:

Dometic quality control is awful. Should not have to work on a new unit to get it running before you install it. I’ve read reviews on these units noting the same problems. Lots of luck 😋.

Not only that, once you do get it running, it uses as much power as a modern heat pump would use to cool / heat a 2000 sqft home!

When are the RV manufacturers going to join the 21'st century?

I recently shut down my Dometic refrigerator, it was contributing over 1/3 of my household power bill!

Like.... Really 😖!!

Edited by 96 EVO
  • Like 1

In 2014 my front AC started to kick the breaker, when on a 30 amp service I could see it was pulling high amps at startup.  Once I got home I climbed on top of coach, removed the shroud and found the motor was almost completely froze up I could barely turn it by hand.  I also noticed that when I did turn it the fan was hitting the metal shroud.  I removed the motor and did notice that the rubber bushings were pretty much gone.  Ordered a motor kit which did come with new bushing, cost was $125 at the time.  That fixed the problem.

In 2021 the rear AC started to make a noise and found that the isolation mount bushes were gone.  I was going to replace the motor also but at the time there weren't any available.  So I made the $$$$ decision to replace both AC's,  Bought two new low profile high capacity 15K BTU Penguins from PPL, ~$2700 delivered and also went with a MicroAir thermostat ~$250.  The same setup now would be much more expensive. 

But that fixed my AC's (hopefully) for the life of the coach.   Pay me now or pay me much more later.  Plus I didn't want to be stranded without AC.   One AC can keep the coach comfortable @95F. 

I kept the old ones and did install one on my wife F250 Transit van that I converted to a K9 carrier complete with inverter/charger and 30 amp power distribution.   We had received a quote from Phoenix Conversions to install a AC in the van for $10K,  so it all worked out and I saved a bunch of $$ doing it myself.