Wire dangling above radiator shroud (rear engine)

I spotted this wire with a ring connector just dangling today while doing some routine maintenance. It's above the engine / radiator shroud and comes out of a wire loom that disappears down to the right side of the shroud. It looks to be original since it is covered with spray insulation slash soundproofing.  There are no obvious bolt heads or screws nearby. I don't remember seeing it when the radiator overflow tank was replaced a couple years ago.  Any ideas what this might be for and whether or not it needs to be connected to something?

20240823_110258.jpg

By the looks of that cable it appears to be a fairly heavy gauge wire also. I have no clue.

Can you put a meter to it to determine whether it has a ground connection or some other type of connection?

Edited by Dr4Film

Steve, if the battery compartment is no where near that area I would suspect it’s a ground wire. I would double check and make sure there is no voltage on it. Maybe it was run from the factory as some kind of upgrade that your coach never got. 
Btw are going to Wickham Park at Thanksgiving? If so we will see ya there.

Put a meter on it.  If there's no voltage switch to ohms and see if there's resistance to ground.  Put the meter back on DC volts and switch ignition on, turn on lights, brake lights, etc and see what happens.  Still nothing?  Start the engine.

Just a start to figure it out.

On our Endeavor there's a top panel with a 12V dome light on the panel.  You're missing that panel . . . .

Is that an ISC engine?  My oil dip stick and oil fill tube are on the right side (ISC), trans dip stick under the back closet hatch. 

- bob

20 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Put a meter on it.  If there's no voltage switch to ohms and see if there's resistance to ground.  Put the meter back on DC volts and switch ignition on, turn on lights, brake lights, etc and see what happens.  Still nothing?  Start the engine.

Just a start to figure it out.

On our Endeavor there's a top panel with a 12V dome light on the panel.  You're missing that panel . . . .

Is that an ISC engine?  My oil dip stick and oil fill tube are on the right side (ISC), trans dip stick under the back closet hatch. 

- bob

Mine is an ISC 360 8.3L.  The hatch to the right of the radiator has everything, including a light.  See pics.  I'll tape it up and debug the connector later.  Getting my new air intake hose to fit is a much higher priority.

17244368110287345445672247986999.jpg

36 minutes ago, Jim McGarvie said:

Does the new expansion tank have a level sensor? Is there a wire attached to it? If not, the wire you are asking about looks like it could be for that.

It does and it has a wire/wires attached already.  But thanks for trying.

• 3 weeks later...

No voltage with key off, or on, or with engine running (bridging ring terminal to ground with multimeter).  Forgot to check resistance... will do soon.  Next step may be to pull back the wire loom and see if the wires are labeled.  Hoping...

OR.....is anything NOT WORKING?  If so....DOING NOTHING is preferable to doing something without knowing the consequences.

I can tell you that MONACO used the SAME main "Chassis" harnesses for many different MH's.  I have a WIRE for the Bay and Engine Alarm lights.  I ain't GOT NO SWITCHES.  I found that out talking to Monaco.  They said....check your switches.  I said...NO SWITCHES....  10 minutes later....they said.  Same harness used for the Dynasty is used on the Camelot....therefore the alarm wire is GROUNDED (that is what triggers the alarm).  Find out where.  OMG....what a revelation.

SO... If nothing is WRONG.....leave it alone.  There may have been a cable or whatever for a different engine or a different whatever.  Sometimes being too inquisitive is a curse.  Tread LIGHTLY.  We have had folks that "gee....this oughta be hooked up" and regretted it.

That's from 15 years of reading all the posts and then the "Post Morteums" when something that look logical....wasn't

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

OR.....is anything NOT WORKING?  If so....DOING NOTHING is preferable to doing something without knowing the consequences.

I can tell you that MONACO used the SAME main "Chassis" harnesses for many different MH's.  I have a WIRE for the Bay and Engine Alarm lights.  I ain't GOT NO SWITCHES.  I found that out talking to Monaco.  They said....check your switches.  I said...NO SWITCHES....  10 minutes later....they said.  Same harness used for the Dynasty is used on the Camelot....therefore the alarm wire is GROUNDED (that is what triggers the alarm).  Find out where.  OMG....what a revelation.

SO... If nothing is WRONG.....leave it alone.  There may have been a cable or whatever for a different engine or a different whatever.  Sometimes being too inquisitive is a curse.  Tread LIGHTLY.  We have had folks that "gee....this oughta be hooked up" and regretted it.

That's from 15 years of reading all the posts and then the "Post Morteums" when something that look logical....wasn't

Thanks.  Sound advice.  And plain common sense.  Not planning to hook up anything without knowing its purpose.  Plan is to continue being inquisitive without doing anything... as FG would say, "Stupid is as stupid does".

• Thanks 1

Final determination:  there are 3 wires about 12 or 10 gauge each, clamped into this beefy ring terminal.  Removal of the wire loom exposed the word "Ground" on each along with letters/numbers (see pic).   Looks like "(S6-S7)" or (56-57).  Does anyone know if these correlate to something on a wiring diagram? 

20240911_131922.jpg

OK....now come your GRUNT WORK.  There are TWO files below.  I have them on my Laptop and they appear to be different.....but MAYBE not.  They are ORIGINAL Monaco files.  The 2008/09 Knight is similar to many other models.  If you look on the drawings and look at the USAGE or Models Included....you see a BUNCH.

One set....that I just downloaded....is a jumbled mess.  DON'T BLAME US....we just put the FILES that are UPLOADED into the Files here.  SO, you have to Rotate.

BUT, if you start to go through each file....particularly the PLUGS or Mating Connectors.....or the diagrams...  ODDS ARE.  You are GONNA find it.  Right now...  the "S7" is a bit of a mystery...but Monaco does do a decent job of labeling.  SO, you have to go to each drawing....look at what it pertains to....and then find the ones that might be pertinent.  THERE AIN'T NO OTHER WAY.  

Look carefully at the MATING connector's prints.  Maybe one is an "S" number.

You will have to do BOTH FILES...

@Frank McElroy

Please look at the one in the files marked 2009 Neptune Wiring Diagrams.  You might, when you have time, be able with your NEWER copy of the Adobe Acrobat to unscramble them....so they are all oriented correctly.  My older copy lets me do that....but when I save the new file....they are STILL scrambled or disoriented.  Thanks....

I THINK the 90340372 is OK.  To be honest... I do NOT know where that came from.  I have over 20 different sets of drawings on my Hard Drive...labeled by year.  I often will pull or do a PDF Print of certain ones that are frequently used....  It is a LOT quicker than searching.  

BUT, I have NO IDEA as to why the 2009 KNIGHT with the prefix file number is different....it LOOKS, when I start to scroll through it.  BUT, I don't know why the name is different.

That may sound confusing....but it is what it is.  Maybe when you open them up and compare side by side... it will make sense.  The file name nomenclature is NOT something that I THINK that I would have done.... but you NEVER know....

Thanks

2009 Neptune Wiring Diagrams (1).pdf 903403772_2009KnightWiringDiagrams-rev1.pdf

21 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

@Frank McElroy

Please look at the one in the files marked 2009 Neptune Wiring Diagrams.  You might, when you have time, be able with your NEWER copy of the Adobe Acrobat to unscramble them....so they are all oriented correctly.  My older copy lets me do that....but when I save the new file....they are STILL scrambled or disoriented. 

All pages are now in landscape format.

Frank, think this file is the one I sent you about 2 months ago.   Not sure whether you want me to try doing something or not...sold the Neptune in early July and the disc's went with the bus.   Don’t remember whether there is still a copy on my computer or not but you may remember I had a heck of a time trying to send it to you.  Let me know if I have to do a deeper dive!  And let's go email (aghyobo at aol dot com).

Adam

Retired 2010 Neptune 37PBQ 

12 hours ago, lake49068 said:

Frank, think this file is the one I sent you about 2 months ago.   Not sure whether you want me to try doing something or not...sold the Neptune in early July and the disc's went with the bus.   Don’t remember whether there is still a copy on my computer or not but you may remember I had a heck of a time trying to send it to you.  Let me know if I have to do a deeper dive!  And let's go email (aghyobo at aol dot com).

Adam

Retired 2010 Neptune 37PBQ 

Yes, I remember that.  I was able to edit the file and now all the pages are in landscape format.