etrailer XHD towbar and base plates

promontory

I am researching towbar options to tow my 2020 Ford F150 XLT 4wd Sport. It is the ecoboost, 10spd tranny, Max Payload, Max trailer tow package and it may be flat towed.

In the past, I flat towed using a Roadmaster Black Diamond, and I liked that towbar / base plate combo. I was towing a Suzuki Grand Vitara previously. I came across the etrailer XHD, which I am liking because it is rated at 10,500lbs, and also the base plate installation is somewhat simpler for the F150 than Blue Ox or Black Diamond. And, having read through the installation manual, there is no need to remove the front bumper. I have had good success with products and services from etrailer in the past, but I am wondering if anyone in our group has had any experience with the etrailer XHD? I did a search for "etrailer towbar" on this forum, but that returned zero results. Here's the parts I'm looking at:

I have yet to figure out the toad braking. The coach has had brakemaster in the past, but I am not familiar with that braking system. There appears to be an airline at the hitch and there is a red LED light at the driver's station up front with a sign that says Brakemaster. It looks like the red LED lights up when the toad brakes are active. I am going to start looking into that system and see if it is a viable option.

Any input anyone has had with these or advice on other systems as they pertain to the F150 would be most appreciated. I also have a different 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara that I may put base plates on as well, as there are some circumstances where we may prefer to tow that vs the pickup. But, our primary toad is meant to be the pickup.

Thanks! - Jonathan

I wonder if you can use the 3 prong end on the tow bar.   The one you linked to has one, I like mine that have the 3 prongs, more meat and lateral support.

Installation does look like a breeze compared to what I had to do on my Jeep

I have a Brakemaster braking system on my Jeep, once you get everything mounted I can put it in/out in ~1 minute on a good day, 5 minutes on a bad.  And it is proportional.  I'm looking for another tow vehicle and will transfer my Brakemaster to it. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I wonder if you can use the 3 prong end on the tow bar.   The one you linked to has one, I like mine that have the 3 prongs, more meat and lateral support.

Installation does look like a breeze compared to what I had to do on my Jeep

I have a Brakemaster braking system on my Jeep, once you get everything mounted I can put it in/out in ~1 minute on a good day, 5 minutes on a bad.  And it is proportional.  I'm looking for another tow vehicle and will transfer my Brakemaster to it. 

First, thank you for the input! I'm not understanding what the "3 prong end" is referring to though? Is that the the connector on the towbar arms that connects to the base plate?

2 hours ago, promontory said:

I am researching towbar options to tow my 2020 Ford F150 XLT 4wd Sport. It is the ecoboost, 10spd tranny, Max Payload, Max trailer tow package and it may be flat towed.

In the past, I flat towed using a Roadmaster Black Diamond, and I liked that towbar / base plate combo. I was towing a Suzuki Grand Vitara previously. I came across the etrailer XHD, which I am liking because it is rated at 10,500lbs, and also the base plate installation is somewhat simpler for the F150 than Blue Ox or Black Diamond. And, having read through the installation manual, there is no need to remove the front bumper. I have had good success with products and services from etrailer in the past, but I am wondering if anyone in our group has had any experience with the etrailer XHD? I did a search for "etrailer towbar" on this forum, but that returned zero results. Here's the parts I'm looking at:

I have yet to figure out the toad braking. The coach has had brakemaster in the past, but I am not familiar with that braking system. There appears to be an airline at the hitch and there is a red LED light at the driver's station up front with a sign that says Brakemaster. It looks like the red LED lights up when the toad brakes are active. I am going to start looking into that system and see if it is a viable option.

Any input anyone has had with these or advice on other systems as they pertain to the F150 would be most appreciated. I also have a different 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara that I may put base plates on as well, as there are some circumstances where we may prefer to tow that vs the pickup. But, our primary toad is meant to be the pickup.

Thanks! - Jonathan

Couple of comments. I’m not familiar with the brand.  I’m on my third vehicle.  Each time, I pull the owner’s INSTALL manual and look at the bill of materials and the size and number and the design of the baseplates.  Three times, Roadmaster won out….over the Blue one.  That has been the case for at least 25 years as our founder and many original members….one of which was a top notch Mechanical Engineer also had come to realize.

NOW…as to braking.  I don’t know about Brakemaster.  Suggest you read up on it.  Here is how the systems work.

A “proportional” control system uses, like a standard trailer brake controller….. an INPUT signal from the Service Brake.  Good old Monaco finally started including a “BRAKE PREWIRED SYSTEM” in 2005…but botched it and a vendor straightened them out.  On yours, there is a 6 pin harness….but with 5 pins.  
Brake “Light” signal.  12 VDC when you press the brake.  Monaco uses a Negative switching system….but the pure…push down signal is that wire.  It IS separated from what goes to the back….as most times, when your exhaust brake is ON and you let off on the accelerator…..the red brake and the CENTER light comes on. THUS, it is NOT what is needed for a PURE Brake signal.  There is a HOT wire (fused at 20 Amps” so you can power trailer brakes.  There is also a IGNITION ON wire.  Plus Ground. There is also a #12 Wire from the FRONT to the 7 pin adapter.   That is the “wire” to the trailer…if you have electric brakes OR a signal sire to the “TOAD” Control module.  There was a system based on a solenoid with a flex cable (think throttle control on a lawnmower).  When you applied the brakes….the brake signal sent a signal back to the control box….and the solenoid was energized and PULLED the pedal DOWN…like you pushed it.  

Again,,..read up on the Brakemaster.

NOW….if you have an AIR FITTING….then it MIGHT be an M&G or an Air Force ONE. The M&G is my choice.  I used a wireless Brake Buddy.  I’ve seen more robust video game controllers.  THEN the US Gear Tow Brake.  That was the Gold Standard.  Did not have a good location on my Yukon for the solenoid…. Then purchased the M&G.  It is a air operated “Brake Pusher”. Simple.  You unbolt the Master Cylinder.  Put in the device….maybe 4” so, the master cylinder is NOT connected to the Vacuum canister.  Then, there is an airline off one of the rear pressure canister….  You apply brakes…..the REAR actually is applied first….then the front….in a proportional manner.  It is VERY smooth and effective.  

NOW….the Air Force One is the same principle….except, you have to hook up the arm of an air cylinder.  AFO also has a “remote” canister.  They use the Brake signal to activate a standalone Air  Device.  That prevents, in theory, a loss of air pressure.  I’ve put over 25K or more…..no issues.

NOW maybe the Brakemaster had a solenoid valve….so that when you press  the brake….the solenoid allows the air to flow.  

I LOVE the M&G.  Only hook up the airline…..nothing to do inside…

That’s my take…and knowledge….

• Thanks 1

I wish M&G made one for our toad but they don't. I have a Brakemaster and it needs no electronics to work. Pure air operation from a T on rear brake line (already on the coach), proportional and with a small storage canister for breakaway function. One wire from toad's brake pedal switch to a dash indicator on dash in the coach. Simple as it gets, except for the M&G which I would have preferred. 

• Thanks 1

I use that e trailer to tow my Chevy pickup. The bar itself works fine. Only things I don't like are the arms when extended are not covered like they were on my blue ox and the straps that hold the safety cables to the bar have sharp edges on them. That keeps the cable from being able to slide threw them easily. So my cables the black coating is chewed up some. My truck is a 2024 3/4 ton so I didn't have a lot of options to choose from. 

I have the airforce one brake system and really like it. Only have to hook up the air hose and it ready to go. I've transferred it to 3 different vehicles. 

• Thanks 1