Replaced AC Capacitor - Duo-Therm For It Is Blank

1 hour ago, woodylmiller said:

Having so much fun I decided to open another can of worms.  I found zone 4.  Disconnected all interior data/power cables and verified routing.

T-stat to front A/C(zone 1), then cable goes to middle A/C,(zone 2), then cable goes to zone 4, (the hidden control board), then cable goes to rear A/C(zone 3).  All checked and double checked.  Tested cables, all of them at least 4 times with cable tester, all good, no shorts.  Previous thoughts about a short was actually the zone 4 being connected and my tester must have responded to that load as a short.

Checked, double checked, all the danglers.  No apparent damage.  So connected all couplings and RJ plugs to their jacks.  Plugged T-stat back in and attempted reboot.  Never got the FF reading.  The backlight is on, and zone 1 is showing, but none of the other zones.  More rebooting and still the same result.  Unable to reboot the T-stat.  I next turned on the 120vac to all three units.  Middle and rear A/C came on.  Yet zone 2 and zone 3 do not appear on the T-stat.  Nothing but zone 1 appears in the T-stat display, without doing any control of the zone 1.

So this is what I have now.  With the T-stat disconnected from the wall, no cable attached.  A/C zone 2 comes on.  A/C zone 3 comes on as soon as I turn the 120vac power on.  Zone 1, nothing.  The A/C are coming on immediately, like not going through the EMS were there would normally be a delay before start up.  I then disconnected all interior cables and at that point none of the A/C come on.

I did not mess with any settings on the control boards, never touched the dip switches.  The T-stat comes on to zone 1 as soon as I plug it in, but no control of the zone 1 A/C.  I can control zone 1 when isolating that unit by connecting only the T-stat to unit one with no other dangler connected, same as plugging straight into the control board from the roof location.  The A/C responds as it should going through the EMS with the delay start up.  With only zone 1 and T-stat connected the stat will reboot and give me the FF.  But still no zone 2,3 or 4 showing.

Not sure where to go to next.  Only thing I can think of now is getting the T-stat to reboot.  One other thing about the T-stat, as soon as I plug it in the light comes on and displays zone 1 even with the switch on the bottom in the "off" position.

Just when I think I'm finished, it pulls me back in.  LOL

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

You MUST reboot the thermostat with 120 VAC power turned ON to ALL air conditioning units.

Thank you Frank.  Here is the problem; as soon as I turn AC power on both zone 2 and 3 come on and the stat does nothing except show zone 1 which is not running.

Next problem is I can talk to and operate all 3 zones while isolated and power input is directly on the red and black P6 danglers from the inside via a jumper from the 12vdc buss.  This works while plugged into the RJ jacks on the roof.  All data/power buss connections open on the inside.  So each unit is totally independent from the others as well all danglers and couplings disconnected.  I then plug the 2 danglers in the jacks on the control board and go inside the coach.  From inside I then attempt the same functions with the stat plugged into either of the 2 danglers.  This is where things go wrong.  I can control zone 1 while all other zones/cables are disconnected.  Same as on the roof.  Then I go to zone 2 danglers and I get nothing.  The stat is dark, won't reboot, and blank screen even with the AC power on.  So nothing at all on zone 2.  Zone 3 is the same thing; no control once hooked up to the danglers.

My logic tells me the units are good.  Pretty sure the stat is OK since I have no problems with it on the roof doing the isolation process.  So tomorrow I plan to buy 100 feet of 4 conductor flat cable and replace all danglers.  Sadly there is not enough existing dangler cables to try and use them.  I can barely get one of the danglers to the board jack on one of the units.  Zone 4 danglers were cut off flush with the box except for the two blue wires which are connected.

Talking with Tom a possible board switch to see if it's a bad board.  If I leave the AC power on while the units are isolated nothing happens, but connect the data/power cables and zone 2 and 3 fire up and zone 1 does not and will not respond to any input from the stat.  Fortunately there is enough interior data/power cables to put on new plugs.  So that's my next plan of attack, replace all the data/power danglers. 

I used the wrong terminology earlier about the EMS.  Had that confused with the A/C or Dryer system.  But there should be a delay between a stat call for cooling and the actual start of the unit.  That does happen while up on the roof during the isolation testing.  There is no delay start on 2 and 3 when everything is connected and 120vac is turned on.  That has me scratching my head.  I believe that delay is to protect the compressor and to prevent a hard start.  That process should be built in and independent from any other cause or situation.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty