CARB Opacity test FIASCO. Main belt failed. $$$$

My somewhat new to me 2004 Cheetah had to have an Opacity test according to the paperwork.  Turns out I had to pay for 2023 and 2024 but test is not due until next year. Hmmm.  Test was undertaken.  I have no way of knowing to what RPM the Caterpillar was revved up to but for sure it was 'screaming'........ 4/5 times.  Test was passed 10.3.   After that there was a 'squeak' via a belt.  I had no idea of the age of belts etc but thought to change them.  Last w/e fate [or whatever] took control. Engine warning light came on, I stopped.  Water temp was high, sure enough belt was all but gone,  it shredded a few miles from home.  

I'm suggesting.  If you have to have an opacity test be sure your belts are good after the test.

The tow for a few short miles was $1500.  [$500 paid by AAA]

• Sad 2

Yes and apparently the Harmonic balancer has to be removed in order to replace belt.  Quotes from $300- $700

Has anyone tried to thread the serpentine belt in via the fan?

1 hour ago, Les Hurdle said:

Yes and apparently the Harmonic balancer has to be removed in order to replace belt.  Quotes from $300- $700

Has anyone tried to thread the serpentine belt in via the fan?

Really, that’s crazy and another reason to scratch a rear rad off my list while looking for a newer motorhome.

• Like 1

I've never heard of removing a harmonic balancer to replace a belt.  Some supposedly won't fit over the fan, I've never seen that, they fit over the fan without much trouble, but not easy to reach.  The Cat will rev to 2,600rpm, right?, that's not hurting anything, it will run that all week.  I'll bet it was a coincidence.  Check every component driven by that belt also.

I'd prefer a $50 belt over everything that can go wrong with a side radiator, which still has the same belts...

For sure working on the unit would be a pain and yes previous owner[s] added extra rad which prevents work from the rear unless rads are removed.  I looked down from the bedroom floor and don't see why a belt could not be threaded via the fan. Given two shops said the same thing re the 'balancer' which 'issues' am I missing?

They might have been planning to replace the harmonic balancer based on age?  Still have to feed the serpentine belt around the fan, not that big a deal compared.  Is this the serpentine belt that drives the water pump, or a separate v belt just for the water pump?

• Tom Cherry changed the title to CARB Opacity test FIASCO. Main belt failed. $$$$

On the DW's Mini Cooper the harmonic balancer failed and that kept the serpentine belt from turning.  Reading the interwebs it's a common Mini problem. 

I would expect our Cummins balancers to be better made than that, but it is possible. 

- bob

Hey Les are you aware you may have done the test an paid the fines when you didnt have to? In Ca from 2010 an older supposedly were supposed to register whats known as “EVDR” Excluded diesel vehicle reporting, im still waiting to hear back from the state on mine (im sure they lost the app) originally i was going to register like the 2011 on up an pay for 23 & 24 untill i found this.

image.jpg

That’s the wrong program. It references the “Truck a Bus” program which you are excluded. 

you need to google “Clean Truck Check”. That program is what requires your attention.

• 2 weeks later...

By All accounts the harmonic balancer did not have to be removed in order to replace the belt.  Yet 2 of the 'best' truck repair places in town said it did.

I'm so tired of crooks.