Large Slide not coming in square and has shifted

2002 Monaco Sig series 45ft - was having an issue with slider not coming in and out properly and notice that the entire slide has shifted about half an inch to the back.  What I believe happened is when you bring slide in, the side closer to the driver would come in strong and by kitchen would seem to get stuck and would need help pulling in, then when going out with the side the kitchen side would be strong but the side by driver would not go out all the way and stay about 5 inches from extending all the way - the pump would sound like it is fully extended.  So now I went under the coach to where the motor is and checked the fluid level and nothing was on the dip stick, now I feel like the dip stick.  Now have filled reservoir up and still same issue.  It has shifted towards the back to were it is hitting the guide plate.  Any thoughts?  

Do I need to bleed the hydraulic system somehow? possible air in system - how do I do that?  Also how do I get slide to move back toward the front a half of inch?  Right now its basically the kitchen area is fully extended and by driver area won't come in - everything is cocked

Thanks in advance,

Keith

I'd say depending on the amount of air in the system, you might be able to purge it by holding the button for a while past the stop each way and let it purge out. I had an extreme situation after rebuilding the cylinders and had to run the bleeding procedure from HWH, the slide was just getting too crooked to force it.

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2024 at 12:11 PM, Keith Russell said:

2002 Monaco Sig series 45ft - was having an issue with slider not coming in and out properly and notice that the entire slide has shifted about half an inch to the back.  What I believe happened is when you bring slide in, the side closer to the driver would come in strong and by kitchen would seem to get stuck and would need help pulling in, then when going out with the side the kitchen side would be strong but the side by driver would not go out all the way and stay about 5 inches from extending all the way - the pump would sound like it is fully extended.  So now I went under the coach to where the motor is and checked the fluid level and nothing was on the dip stick, now I feel like the dip stick.  Now have filled reservoir up and still same issue.  It has shifted towards the back to were it is hitting the guide plate.  Any thoughts?  

Do I need to bleed the hydraulic system somehow? possible air in system - how do I do that?  Also how do I get slide to move back toward the front a half of inch?  Right now its basically the kitchen area is fully extended and by driver area won't come in - everything is cocked

Thanks in advance,

Keith

NO, at least NOT on the new or the dual Hydraulic Slides.  There is probably (IS) a Balancing cylinder.  It's purpose is to keep the slide moving properly.  The only way to do it...  And you might need a helper.  With the slide either IN or OUT....then hold the button for maybe the count of a quick 5.  You want to hear the pitch of the motor change.  Many members do NOT know this....and Monaco was not very "VERBAL".  SO, you ALWAYS HOLD in the button for a few seconds. 

NOW....extend the slide.  Have someone assist if it is balky.  THEN when fully extended...hold on the switch for the same count. 

SO, you cycle ONE SIDE....then the OTHER....and repeat.  What you are doing is purging the air...and it can be trapped anywhere....not necessarily in the balky one.  HOLDING IN, after EITHER Direction is a MUST....but now you have to "REMEDIATE" or fix what has happened..... 

You MAY need to do this for several cycles.  Each time you bleed of remove the air pockets.  DO NOT know if you have 50 A service or which bank...PROBABLY the HOUSE.  If you are on 50 Amp....this will replenish the batteries.  ONE TRICK....

Use the Genny or be on 50 AMP.  Disconnect all power/Genny.  TURN OFF both House and Chassis Disconnect switches.  THEN use an automotive Jumper cable and jumper the POSITIVES.  THEN turn BACK ON THE Disconnects.  That is the same as holding ON the BATT BOOST.

NOW, get on 50 A or run the genny.  You will have a HIGHER voltage....the Hydraulic motor will be operating at the proper voltage. Even a 1/2 VDC drop will slow the motor down....that also ramps up the AMPS....so the motor is running HOTTER.  THAT WILL (don't ask how I KNOW) burn up the Hydraulic motor.

SO, when you are doing repetitive slide cycling....best to have the extra bank.

This should work.  It has for many and no one ever had to bleed.  NOW, this is for a Lippert System...but I THINK it works the same for the HWH.  All use the THIRD cylinder or balance.

Make sure any moving parts or slider wear surfaces are LUBRICATED.  Many folks never lube the slides and often complain about balky or erratic slide functioning.

Purging the air and also being properly lubed is the key.

Let us know.