Slide Not Deep Enough for New Theater Seats

Go to solution Solved by bklaes,

Picked up a nice set of theater seats for my Neptune 36pdq to replace the leaking air dream sleeper.  After getting everything old out and new in, I need to add about 10 inches of floor directly under the new seats to support them. I thought about a sheet of plywood,  bolted or screwed to the existing slideout. With that much overhang,  I thought about adding a set of rollers to the front edge. 

Has anyone had experience with this change? I can get slide rollers from Amazon that seem like they'd work. Need about 2 inches of height from the coach floor to the bottom of the new plywood sheet. 

This is in my kitchen slide, it's not a flush floor, and not very deep (the oem sofa hung over as well)

Andrew, I had the same issue with a new couch in the kitchen slide. I simply removed the front legs and made longer ones then put the fuzzy furniture sliders under the new legs. This allows them to slide on the luxury vinyl floor when moving the slide. If you have carpet get the silicone furniture sliders. You can buy legs of various lengths if you don’t want to make your own. I might also suggest removing the rear legs to keep the seat a little lower to the floor so you don’t have to jump up to get in. Removing the rear legs might be all that’s required for the existing front legs to reach. You didn’t mention if you had a heat duct under that couch. Because my new couch was too low for the duct to go under so I just turned it to blow out between the cabinet and couch.

I screwed a sheet of 3/4 plywood to the floor of the slide there, using a LOT of screws.  In my coach, that floor under the knife bed is held down by the flat head carriage bolts that hold the seat belts.  When I removed the seat belts, those fell out and I didn't realize their function of holding the floor down.  I solved the problem by putting some lag screws up from under the slide (outside) into the existing floor AND the new plywood.

If I had to do it again, I would keep those flat head carriage bolts and use them to hold down the floor, then just notch around them with the new plywood

I painted the new plywood black and you don't see it.

I didn't see any need for additional rollers

Dwight

I removed the Villa J-couch, dinette seats and sleeper sofa from our Dynasty.  Looked at new Villa furniture for theater seating and a new sleeper, however big $$ and long lead times due to Covid era demand.  

We ended up with two Lambright power recliners (love them) on the flush floor side and a new Lambright 72” sleeper couch installed on the raised kitchen slide. They added 2, 3 inch rollers to the front of the sofa frame during installation.  They used the same carriage bolt installation method for the rear frame.  Had to silicone a couple spare holes.  I had about the same 10” over hang.  The Villa frame was built to cantilever out without support. Lambright always adds rollers. I would be concerned with the longevity of a plywood structure 

The furniture was made by Lambright Custom Chairs in Elkhart, IN.   We drove up to see and sit on the many options and then placed our order.  Selected Ultra Leather, lots of colors to choose from.  Very pleased with the furniture quality and installation. 

Thanks guys, all great suggestions.  I was thinking of some front rollers under the added plywood to help from bending the furniture frame or twisting the slide floor. Just to give some support I guess....there's about 2.5 inches of air under the front furniture frame if I don't. 

• Solution

I took up that 2.5" gap with a painted 2x4 that runs the length of the two new recliners, and glued a strip of carpet on the side of the board that faces the vinyl wood floor.

20 minutes ago, bklaes said:

I took up that 2.5" gap with a painted 2x4 that runs the length of the two new recliners, and glued a strip of carpet on the side of the board that faces the vinyl wood floor.

That is a great idea 💡.  Thank you.  

Andrew I had the same issue with my 99 Monaco. We removed the sofa and installed 2 electric recliners that connect together. The front of the chairs hung over the slide flooring. To add support to the front I installed a piece of plywood the entire width of the opening and extended the length to provide additional support to the front matching the outline of the chairs. Considering the stress would be on the front part of the newly added flooring I installed rollers from Amazon on each end to help with the flexing when getting in and out of the chairs. It works fine as everything is supported. 

• Like 1

I took the advice and got a piece of sanded 3/4 plywood. I cut it to fit the entire floor area, save cutouts for the seat belts. I drilled precise holes to allow it to slip over the original bolts from the old sofa and used them to anchor the plywood down. I added a 2x4 across the bottom with carpet stapled on to allow it to slide on the existing carpet.  

So far, everything is is only screwed together, and if it works out on our next trip, I'll either paint the wood or trim it with some stain matched oak.

Just have to remember to watch the toes when walking around with the slide in since the new seats are 12 inches further out from the old. 

20240827_180753.jpg