Solution for newsletter is too long

Thanks again, Scotty, for all you do to keep us on line.  For those of you that find the newsletter too long, here is a solution.  It isn't as fast as if we only have one title for each topic, but it only takes a minute to reduce the newsletter to something to quickly browse if you have Excel software or something similar.  Do this:

Open the newsletter email

Select all the blue topics listed first in the newsletter along with the first line discussions under them (the looong list) and stop before including the word "discussions"

Copy it and paste it all into a blank excel worksheet

Select the first column (for me, that is already selected after pasting)

Switch Excel to the DATA menu (top row on my computer)

Click on sort from A to Z

Suddenly all topics are lumped into groups.  Then it is quick to scan all topics now presented in groups, and just click on the first cell of any topic line and it opens the Monaco site for that topic.

Toss the Excel sheet when you are done.

It took me 50 seconds to get the newsletter topics grouped, after which it is trivial to click on a topic for discussion.  All the repeated grouped discussion titles do the same thing by clicking on the first cell of the title.

Cumbersome but works pretty well.

Dave Jones

My simple solution is to read the table of contents in the daily digest feed and when I find a topic of interest I click on it.  That takes me to the site and I scroll down to the highlighted "unread replies" gray banner and continue from there ... this get all the current context in order. When finished I simply back arrow back to the daily digest and continue scanning.  If the topic appears again in that daily digest I simply remember I already read that today and skip past it. 

Easy peasy...

• Like 3

Well.... different strokes for different folks.

I get the Newsletter...but ignore it.

I sign in and click on ACTIVITIES   then below and to the Left... ALL ACTIVITIES.

Then I just SCROLL.... We Moderators have a different role.... and Frank or Scotty might not do it my way...whatever works for you.

The one thing that we have been trying to do and that is addressed in the NEW TOPIC GUIDELINES.  Eliminate or Edit the "Crackerjack Surprise" titles.  The Guidelines spell this out.  Typically, if I edit...my first change is to put in the YEAR and Model.  That will eliminate a LOT of guessing.  Monaco was constantly changing and upgrading.  SO, for instance... a Charging issue for a 2008 Dynasty is NOT the same system as a 2002 Diplomat.  FAR FROM IT.  There were TWO distinct wiring systems used circa the MID 2000s.  Circa 2005, all Dynasty (Imperials) and up....were fitted with a complex FRB and RRB system.  There are over 20 or maybe 25 ODD Intellitec Proprietary "BOARDS" with all sorts of electronics and LED's and Switches.  That gave on, assuming they understood how the board worked, the ability to TEST that system or if there was a light on...to spot the issue.  In addition, the interior 12 VDC and almost ALL systems were on the Intellitec CPU controlled MPX system.  

Now, the Camelot/Scepter and lower in 2008, was a sort of HYBRID.  The older and more conventional style prints and circuitry was used....but there is a MEGA FRB PCB with almost 100 fuses and many connectors.  The RRB is not as complicated...but is NOT the old  "Terminal and fuses".  

In addition, the Dynasty was more dependent on Circuit Breakers.....and did not always have a 'FUSE" as in "what fuse number is my XXXXX circuit on.

To add to the complexity, he 2008 Camelot/Scepter has a HYBRID or a simpler Intellitec MPX system.  It is NOT CPU controlled....which means that there is no "CENTRAL BRAIN" where the commands and the logic and such reside.  BUT, the same functions a toggling ON and OFF and diming and having multiple switches for the same item (Pump for example) is there.

That should then inform a member as to whether their skill or knowledge set (bank) is geared to that particular MH.

After the Year and Model....then a brief few words like  Charging or ECM or ABS or Pump or .....the sky's the limit.  NOW, many of the same components WERE used or the technology is the same.

Describing the TITLE PROPERLY is meant to help a member decide whether they can assist or start to follow it so they can build on their knowledge base and be more self sufficient.

Works for me.....might not for others....

First of all, the easiest way might differ depending on what device you use, an Apple, Windows, or Android OS.

On my Android phone, I zoom to get a bigger font, and scroll quickly to see topics that might be of interest, go back and click each topic once, then when finished reading the thread to the end, hit back arrow to go back to the list and pick the next topic of interest.

On my laptop, the process is totally different...

What are you using?

Edited by Steve P
correct spelling

I'll take the Newsletter anyway I can get it. I am just thankful that someone has volunteered to do it.

Don't complain, be grateful...

My 2 cents

Bill

• Like 2

Bill C, I don't mean to complain.  I have communicated with Scotty and understand the issue being discussed.  I just thought those who have mentioned the issue with the newsletter might find my solution helpful.  I love the newsletter, but must confess that I don't review it every day because of the time it takes to review it.

Steve P, I have a Windows 10 computer and an old, old version of Excel .

I do the same as what was posted earlier, I scroll & click, scroll & click some more, and scroll & click until there are no more topics that I am interested in reading, then delete the email.

Then I go to my browser and read through those that I was interested in. 99.99% of the time I use my laptop as my phone is too cumbersome for this application. I will occasionally read a post while using my phone if I happen to be away from my laptop but it is NOT my "goto" device. Phones are used for talking to others plus managing a few very important apps that I use daily.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

I do the same as what was posted earlier, I scroll & click, scroll & click some more, and scroll & click until there are no more topics that I am interested in reading, then delete the email.

Then I go to my browser and read through those that I was interested in. 99.99% of the time I use my laptop as my phone is too cumbersome for this application. I will occasionally read a post while using my phone if I happen to be away from my laptop but it is NOT my "goto" device. Phones are used for talking to others plus managing a few very important apps that I use daily.

YEP!!  "KISS" principle!!