2006 Dynasty - Running or Clearance Lights come and go.

Trevor and Laura

We are preparing a Dodge Durango to be our new "toad", found only 2v at Bella's 7-pin trailer plug and no running lights on the coach, they had been fine when we returned home at the end of April. both front and rear markers on the roof were on. Found the wiring diagram, seemed almost understandable? by simple me, but concerned that the "smart wheel control was involved, seemed strange.  Found the labeled 10A fuse for running lights, it was fine and removing and inserting I could hear a relay clicking. The diagram shows a relay, #K5, I could see K1 - 4, but not K5. I removed one on the next board over and cleaned its connector blades. When I replaced the fuse there were some sparks and all of the running lights were now on....

Always concerning for me when I don't know why... happy it's working but..  Well today I was back finishing off the wiring for our Brakemaster indicator light and again only 2v on the running light circuit and no lights on the Dynasty; back in the FRB I am unable to "feel" which relay is clicking, but after lots of on and offs with the fuse the lights are all on again. With the previously cleaned relay removed the lights remained on, so not that one... I'm thinking a failing relay or a bad connection somewhere, we are heading out on Saturday and it would be good to  have this resolved.

I have been looking at Page 3, Headlight Wiring Schematic, looks simple, but where is the TS 1 terminal strip, should I be concerned about the J 1 and J 3 thingies? Where is 1-K5

Really hoping that someone has been here before us and can walk us through..

Regards to all

@Frank McElroy and @pwhittle are the experts on those “interesting” FRB and RRB proprietary Intellitec Boards. The Way the circuit works….on MOST and the Dynasty may be different.  There is a line or FULL (typically) 20 Amp Headlight switch output.  There is another line or output from the Headlight switch for the park/clearance.  Then…..it gets tricky.

There are TWO circuits out….of the VIP module.  One of them ties a relay into the headlight circuit…so that there is power for “flashing” the headlights.  Then there is also a signal that goes to the Clearance Lights….so that the VIP controls will take over and work both.  Normally, when the Headlights are on….then all is controlled by it and the Dimmer.  The dimmer switch is downstream.  Whatever position it is in….when the VIP allows you to FLASH…..the signal goes directly to the Dimmer….as it is the LAST switching or selector device.

Other than that….simple….

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2006 Dynasty - Running or Clearance Lights come and go.
Posted (edited)

Our problem is JUST the running lights, built into the headlights and of course the big rear lights, when they were turned on there were neither front or rear running lights, just the high markers on.. no difference with headlights on, or motor running. Did find 2v approx at the 7-way connector,

Just jumping across that 10A fuse repeatedly and they magically came on.. until 2 weeks later when I had to do the same thing again.. Will be there again today, 1st thing to check..

Thanks

Edited by Trevor and Laura
spelling

We were back getting the coach ready today, 1st job was to turn the lights on, everything still came on today, but nothing has been fixed, worrying..

Spent hours looking at wiring diagrams and still veryy confused. Started with p3, headlight schematic, apart from the in and out to the smart wheel control it looks straightforward. Relay 1 K5 looks like a Bosch style, but I cannot find it, hear it clicking but cannot feel it. 

The 10A fuse clearly identified, makes a relay click and turns the lights on and off..

p231, FRB detail shows this fuse on board #7 and a relay for our lights on board #1

p230 is the schematic for board #1, it has the relay for our park lights, not a Bosch, please tell me it is not soldered to the board...

Need suggestions please to trouble shoot.. or repair. (why does exercising the relay fix things for awhile).

Should we try and find another board? but it's working today..

We always drive with headlights on, thinking we could combine, but would still like away to turn headlights off, or combine with the marker lights..

Would like to keep things oem, but have already had to add an external relay to the HWH hydraulic slide control box..

Really hoping for some ideas here..

Many thanks

Trevor and Laura