Is there an automatic disconnect switch for the shore line?

PaulRV

My 97 Windsor has the Onan 6500 LP powered generator.  Is there a Double pole double throw (connect/disconnect) switch between the shore supply and generator? Where is it located and what triggers it?

My transfer switch is in the small bay where the inverter is located, accessed by a set of sliding doors in the last large pass through bay. 

It is on the passenger side of the bay next to the inverter.

Edited by jacwjames

The transfer switch should be called out in your manual.  Probably at the beginning of section 8.  It is a box enclosure….think larger than a man”s size 13 shoe box but smaller than a large pair of hunting or hiking boot shoe box.

It will have three large pieces of flexible conduit…(think 1” diameter large diameter garden hose….gray??? maybe color).  The label will say TRANSFER SWITCH…brand back then is unknown none.  BUT it you read IOTA and 50 R….beware.  These had a fatal defect…catch fire or overheat. It MUST BE REPLACED.

The AUTOMATIC portion of it works like this.  When you plug into shore….20 A or 30 A….that is a 120 VAC hookup.  The 50A is actually s 220 VAC hookup.  You do NOT have any 220 VAC devices…but there is LINE 1 and Line 2.  That measures 220 VAC. The Neutral or Ground to EITHER Line is 120 VAC.

NOTHING HAPPENS when you plug in.  The springloaded contactor is closed….

BUT, when you start the generator there is a circuit board that says.  HEY….I got 120 VAC (as in the genny is running).  OK….wake up CONTACTOR.  Then it switches the genny input to the OUTPUT line going to the Main Panel Circuit Breaker's.

IT IS THERE….use a flashlight and look.  It is in one of the storage bays or maybe where  the batteries are.

On 8/30/2024 at 11:54 AM, PaulRV said:

I see that it is called a Transfer Switch. I still cannot find it.

I realize our's is a later model, but our Transfer switch is in the last bay, road side where the shore cord is located.  Good luck!