No power to cord reel?

swmorgan

Cord reel worked fine when we were out last weekend.  Pulled out the cord last night to plug in at home and get ready for today's trip.  No juice to the reel when I just went out to put things away so we can leave.  Any suggestions of where to look for a breaker or fuse that might be blown?  Luckily I was able to wind things by hand so we aren't stuck at home.  2005 diplomat

Hi Sam,

When you push the retract button, do you hear any noise. There is a gear inside the reel that breaks and it can be replaced.  You should hear the motor run, though. 
If not that, verify the switch has 12 volts to it, so when you push it it sends power to the rewind motor.

Try these things and let us know.

2 minutes ago, Happycarz said:

Hi Sam,

When you push the retract button, do you hear any noise. There is a gear inside the reel that breaks and it can be replaced.  You should hear the motor run, though. 
If not that, verify the switch has 12 volts to it, so when you push it it sends power to the rewind motor.

Try these things and let us know.

No noise at all.  I checked the fuse up front and it is fine...haven't checked anything else yet

Carefully take the two wires of the back of the switch, not letting the positive touch metal. I don’t know which one is positive so be careful with both.  Then test the wires for voltage. One should be hot. If so, momentarily touch it to other wire to see in reel motor engages. If motor engages, replace the switch.

If no power to either wire, you will have to look upstream from switch to fuse.  But, let’s hope it is just the switch at the reel. 

7 hours ago, Happycarz said:

Carefully take the two wires of the back of the switch, not letting the positive touch metal. I don’t know which one is positive so be careful with both.  Then test the wires for voltage. One should be hot. If so, momentarily touch it to other wire to see in reel motor engages. If motor engages, replace the switch.

If no power to either wire, you will have to look upstream from switch to fuse.  But, let’s hope it is just the switch at the reel. 

Happy and I are on the same PAGE.  The switch is a SPDT Center OFF switch.  Mine failed...so I replaced it and I know it works this way. The CENTER is the INCOMING power. IF you have POWER to the CENTER terminal....then you can "JUMPER" (pull out the switch) one terminal to the other.   Use a paper clip....bent into a big "U".  Works great.  If you don't hear the motor start when you jumper to either of the outside or Top or Bottom terminals....AND  you have POWER on the Center (Measured of COURSE to Ground) Terminal....then it is in the REEL.  All you are doing is powering the motor one way....so it extends and then the other way so it retracts.

The switches DO fail....they are common. 

That's how you test.   

NOT ALL MONACOS have the SAME FRB layout... rarely...  but if they are...they may not be labeled the same....THUS, one needs to have the LAYOUT of their OWN FRB and RRB....

OK....FIRST UP.  @swmorgan

Go to the MANUAL.  This is the ONLY prints that we have....and it is for a 2005 Diplomat/Endeavor.  Here is the FUSE layout.  This shows TWO circuit Breakers.  NOW that is FASCINATING.  

WHAT I think there is...  there are TWO MAIN POWER Circuit Breakers.  And I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE NEED for this...  

BUT...if you look at the PRINT on the Cord Reel...it only shows a SPST SPRING LOADED switch....  TWO WIRES.  One has POWER....the other goes to the REEL.

The fuse is also marked.  CONSULT YOUR WIRING DIAGRAMS in the MANUAL...but this print was DATED 2003 and it was for a 2006 MY...so, ODDS ARE...this is how yours is SUPPOSED to be.

FUSE LAYOUT - 2006 DIP ENDEAVOR.pdf Power CORD REEL - Diplomat....SINCE 2003.pdf

4 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

NOT ALL MONACOS have the SAME FRB layout... rarely...  but if they are...they may not be labeled the same....THUS, one needs to have the LAYOUT of their OWN FRB and RRB....

OK....FIRST UP.  @swmorgan

Go to the MANUAL.  This is the ONLY prints that we have....and it is for a 2005 Diplomat/Endeavor.  Here is the FUSE layout.  This shows TWO circuit Breakers.  NOW that is FASCINATING.  

WHAT I think there is...  there are TWO MAIN POWER Circuit Breakers.  And I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE NEED for this...  

BUT...if you look at the PRINT on the Cord Reel...it only shows a SPST SPRING LOADED switch....  TWO WIRES.  One has POWER....the other goes to the REEL.

The fuse is also marked.  CONSULT YOUR WIRING DIAGRAMS in the MANUAL...but this print was DATED 2003 and it was for a 2006 MY...so, ODDS ARE...this is how yours is SUPPOSED to be.

FUSE LAYOUT - 2006 DIP ENDEAVOR.pdf 449.83 kB · 3 downloads Power CORD REEL - Diplomat....SINCE 2003.pdf 101.9 kB · 2 downloads

Here's the picture for my 04 Dynasty 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dWgWr1QskWaMn62B8

When mine didn't work, replaced the switch but not issue. Found a defective thermo switch wired directly into motor. Easy to replace, bought 2 for $3 on Amazon.  See attached photo of defective unit.

20240126_145337.jpg

Finally got a few minutes to test after returning home today.  After several minutes of removing gobs of silicone from a previous owners attempt at waterproofing the switch I found no power at the switch.  Won't have the time or interest in chasing that all the way to the fuse panel and I already have a guy scheduled to come Tuesday to look at that and my dead levelers so I'll let him take a look and report back what we find.  Thanks for all the input so far

Repair guy just left and found what I expected. Both the cord reel and levelers worked on a trip a few weeks ago and both were broken when we tried to head out the next weekend so I figured it had to be related. Power for the cord reel switch was taken from power to the leveler control and the power wire there had a fitting that was so corroded that is was basically making no connection. He replaced that end and everything works great again. Even fixed one of my wiggly side view mirrors while he was here. Few hundred bucks for his time and we're on the road again.