2006 Monaco Signature Castle IV No Voltage Displayed in Aladdin System

Go to solution Solved by Dr4Film,

Continuing tracking stuff that doesn't work on my (new to me) 06 Signature. Noticed that the Aladdin does not show AC power connected.
So I went to the transfer box in the drivers side bay just ahead of the wet bay.
I found this PowerMax PMTS-50. I don't see any sensor leads that might go to the Aladdin system.
So I am lost here. Did they replace the original transfer switch and remove the one with the sensors in it?

I think the original transfer switch was ether an ESCO or a TRC 40250.
Found a partial wiring diagram that show the current sensor 38040089 connected to the 38040035 AC interface module.
This suggests that the transfer switch model may not matter if I have the interface module and the correct sensors to connect to the power leads in the transfer switch.
Of course, I have no idea where the module is and how it was originally connected to the transfer switch.

image.jpg

20240830_135756.jpg

20240830_135742.jpg

20240725_164956.jpg

AC Interface Module.pdf

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Yes, the original TRC Transfer Swich has been replaced with the PMTS50 which doesn't talk with the Aladdin System.

I had the same problem when I purchased my Dynasty and discovered that someone replaced the transfer switch with one that doesn't communicate with the Aladdin.

I installed the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C ahead of the transfer switch with two displays, one in the service bay and one in a cabinet over the driver's seat.

That takes care of my power display requirements.

Edited by Dr4Film

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Yes, the original TRC Transfer Swich has been replaced with the PMTS50 which doesn't talk with the Aladdin System.

I had the same problem when I purchased my Dynasty and discovered that someone replaced the transfer switch with one that doesn't communicate with the Aladdin.

I installed the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C ahead of the transfer switch with two displays, one in the service bay and one in a cabinet over the driver's seat.

That takes care of my power display requirements.

Richard NAILED it.  The OEM transfer switch had a special INTERNAL module.  SurgeGuard did NOT put that in the "Next Revision".  IF you could FIND an OLDER ONE....and IF the Module is OK, we have had members retrofit the new switches.

There are TWO options.  Richard's solution, I think, is the BEST.  WHY....because the Progressive Industries is TOTALLY FIELD SERVICEABLE.  It has TWO boards.  There is an MOV Board and a Control Board.  Takes all of 10 minutes to remove the cover and pop in a new Board. I beta tested boards for Tommy Fanelli, the "inventor" of the HW50C and the Founder of Progressive Industries.  He was the MAIN Field Rep for TRC/Surge Guard and was the guy that got all the FLAK from customers about "WE WANT A FIELD SERVICEABLE unit. We want to KNOW that is going on".  So, he and his EE (Grad - BS) brother developed the concept and circuitry.  It is the WORK HORSE of Surge Suppressors and revolutionized the industry.  THEN TRC got the message...and tried to copy.  LOL.

You can get the Unit with a splitter for a second remote.  FIRST CLASS WAY...So, RIchard did it totally right.  I replaced a buggy whip Surge Guard pedestal unit.  It has saved my fanny many times.  NOW....you do NOT have a CLUE when it shuts off...  WHY.  OK....the SECOND option.....there is a RETRO kit that will monitor it.  BUT.....that is all it does.

Adding in the Progressive gives you PROTECTION.  You have a $700 or so switch.  LET IT GET HIT....$$$$$ flying away.  BUT, the HW50C protects ANY ATS.  I have a a workhorse ATS....that is NO a surge suppressor....but it is TOTALLY Protected and if the MOV's get fried....NEW BOARD.

We have had members that tore down the SurgeGuard and troubleshot the BOARD...They tested the MOV's.... FRIED.  One member with a 2006 Dynasty replaced the MOV's at least TWICE.  SO, it DOES happen.

The MAIN THING....you NEED info.  BUT, if the SurgeGuard says (with the remote display)...  I'm DEAD....then you send it back to SurgeGuard....the do NOT FIX...they charge you to TEST.  This is DIRECTLY from talking to MR. SURGE (that is what he calls himself....not MY levity). He is very knowledgeable.  HE RECOMMENDS that you buy a Pedestal unit to protect the ATS.  And that is a major chunk of change....  SO....the BEST value is the Progressive. 

NOW....there ARE others brands with BT and whatever. Many have them.  We don't have any reliability info, but in 15 years, there has ONLY BEEN comment about burning up the CONTACTOR...and that was a wiring mistake that the owner did.  There, obviously, have been Board Failures....but the members just fixed them.

THAT is why Richard and myself are "perhaps prejudiced"...

Hope this helps.  Look at the MATH and the cost of the options.  I THINK that the HW50C is the BEST (I KNOW THAT!) and it is the MOST cost effective....or best value.

Some great info here. 
The PowerMax PMTS-50 works, so I am not in dire distress right now.
However I am trying to get everything back to original working condition where possible. 
My main concern is if the Surge Guard 40350-rvc and 40450-rvc units are plug and play compatible with the Aladdin system I have.
I really don't want to have to install separate monitor displays. Running cables through these coaches is a real bear.

You would have to talk directly to the TRC SurgeGuard Technical staff to get their opinion on those two auto transfer switches if they indeed interface with the Aladdin System.

If they do not, then those two transfer switches do come with optional remote displays.

However, I prefer the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C System and its displays.

Choices and decisions......

The joy of diesel coach ownership.

7 hours ago, John Van Hengel said:

Some great info here. 
The PowerMax PMTS-50 works, so I am not in dire distress right now.
However I am trying to get everything back to original working condition where possible. 
My main concern is if the Surge Guard 40350-rvc and 40450-rvc units are plug and play compatible with the Aladdin system I have.
I really don't want to have to install separate monitor displays. Running cables through these coaches is a real bear.

I replaced our 40250 with a 40350 and with much discussion with SurgeGuard, none of the replacement units talk to the Aladdin.  I solved it my mounting a monitor inside in a convenient place so I use it instead of the Aladdin for the AC info.

• Like 1

When my surgeguard died I replaced it with Elkhart (LPT50BRD 50 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch https://a.co/d/fFVLGBb  and the Power Watchdog PWD50-EPO-H, Bluetooth Surge Protector with Auto Shutoff, 50 Amp, Hardwired https://a.co/d/cyqFIvq

I like the Bluetooth option much better and have had no trouble with either one. 

I don't look or even turn on my Alladin any more. My tank gauges never read accurately, I get the same motor info and much more from my Bluefire, the Bluefire also has trip info I use the help keep track of the fuel left. 

• Like 1

I use the Aladdin to have my rear view camera on while driving.

I use my SilverLeaf VMSpc to monitor my engine, transmission, fuel, etc.

I use my Power Master Voltage Booster (when needed) & Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C to protect & monitor the quality of my power and usage.

I will use the SeeLevel Tank Level System to monitor my tanks once it is fully installed.

• Like 1

I forgot about the cameras. Mine originally them on the back and mirrors. While they still work I don't use them either. I installed a 360 degree or birds eye view camera system and love it. Best upgrade I have done to my coach. 

It has a dedicated split screen. I leave the rear camera on the right side and birds eye view on the left. 

20230126_094854.thumb.jpg.f3823f7379048eaf633bf36b779b9d5b.jpg

• Like 1