Magnum ME2012 MSW Inverter/Charger 2000w-100a

Go to solution Solved by MyronTruex,

I replaced this with a new 3000w Victron Multi Plus Inverter/Charger.  It works fine/as expected and includes all manuals.  Is there any interest?  Will not part out.  Going for at least ~$600 on eBay.  Asking $500 plus shipping. I also have the older style ME-50 remote with 3 buttons (shore, setup, tech) if interested for an additional $50 + shipping, does not include cable as I am using it in the Victron display.  

20240902_175532.jpg

Edited by Bobkat11208
Added picture

• Solution

Put it on Craigs list or Facebook Market place. Then you should not have to deal with shipping. Sold mine quickly. 

On 9/3/2024 at 7:04 AM, JoeV67 said:

Hello,

Do you know if the ME2012 control board version w/ RC-50 remote allow the lithium battery charging profiles?

Thanks

Joe

I have a ME2012 (about the same vintage) with the ME-ARC-50.  According to the Magnum Tech I spoke with, the official word is that Magnum does not support Lithium with this inverter. They only support lithium with the new “MS” series of pure sine wave inverters. 

HOWEVER, we do have some members using a ME2012 with Lithium batteries and setting it to charge using one of the AGM battery profiles.  Do a search for magnum+lithium or magnum+LiPO4 on the site and you will find more info on that.  Since I haven’t personally done it, I don’t feel qualified to give you a thumbs-up or thumbs-down.  

Scotty's comments and what I have been told, on NUMEROUS occasions by Magnum...as well as all the LITHIUM HOW TO's.... This is correct.

The only caveat that I think, to be open and honest with all members.

The useful life of a Magnum inverter is finally catching up.  We have a LOT of almost or slightly OLDER than 20 year old Magnums.  In the past 18 or so months, we have seen TWICE the TOTAL FAILURE of Magnums that we did when this site started up circa 2018.  I have read or been involved in about EVERY Magnum issue...and have helped at least 20 or more folks "pull a rabbit out of the hat" and do some Hard and Soft Resets and use the TRICKS that Magnum Tech support told me.

NOW, the failures of the Magnum's has been "diagnosed" as "OVERHEATING".  The FET or the CHIPS in the Inverter...the MAIN CHIPS....are embedded or were seated on a Conductive Thermal Paste or Heat Sink Compound. That then allows the FET to transfer the heat, from the current, to the heat sink.  The heat sink has FINS and the fans in the Inverter will then cool the FET's.  There are several temperature sensors and if you use the TECH button, you can monitor the temps.

MY OWN EXPERIENCE.  I do my DRAIN and RECHARGE test every year or so.  This year... I had to TURN DOWN the Charging rate.  I usually, due to the age...run only 80%...which is what Magnum told me to do to preserve the life.  NOW, I have cut that back to 60%.  Mine had a FAULT...as in the FET's got too hot.  The Magnum shuts down...when the FET's cool down....it restarts.  I have NOT had that happen before.

SO...be aware...Magnum says that the useful life and the TECHS VARY... is in the 12 - 15 year range.....one might have said 17.  BUT, we routinely saw very few issues until about 2 years ago...and THEN it is happening.  One a similar vein....the Xantrex Inverters are also now starting to die.  I remember at least 3 or so this year.  THAT is also, if you keep a "mental scorecard" as I do....an increase.

SO....a used inverter needs to be considered with regard to it's expected useful life...and also how it was used.  

NOW... Also look at the cost of a NEW PCB or control Board.  Unfortunately, no private refurbishing site has come up with a replacement.  IT IS POSSIBLE to remove the FET's and re "BED" them... but it requires skill and a hot air soldering/desoldering system.

Just as we advise folks about Kongsberg Chassis....and such...used items need to be objectively commented on....

Two banks of FETs are soldered to a circuit board and the heat is then conducted through the back of the board to the heat sink case.  Cooling is accomplished via two internal fans.  When one of the fans stops working, you wind up with the FETs overheating faster.  Attached is a link to a 80 minute video giving a lot more details on repairing a Magnum Inverter.  This guy is good.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2024 at 9:40 AM, MyronTruex said:

Put it on Craigs list or Facebook Market place. Then you should not have to deal with shipping. Sold mine quickly. 

I'll check that out Myron.  I don't have Facebook but DW does and honestly didn't know Craig's List was still even a thing-lol.