What to use to replace patch over satellite holes?

Hi,

I was on the roof of my coach and there are 3 patches with sealant around the edges where the satellite would go if I actually had one.  The patches seem to be starting to fail, one was all puffed up, hoping no water got under it but I’m wondering what would be the best product to use to replace the existing patches?

Thanks

Mike B

01 Dynasty

Edited by obb_taurus

2 minutes ago, obb_taurus said:

Hi,

I was on the roof of my coach and there are 3 patches with sealant around the edges where the satellite would go if I actually had one.  The patches seem to be starting to fail, one was all puffed up, hoping no water got under it but I’m wondering what would be the best product to use to replace the existing patches?

Thanks

Mike B

01 Dynasty

MY FIX....and others might differ.  I would get SS sheet metal.  18 Gauge.  Cut it so it has about an inch of overlap on all sides past the holes.  Square works....Circle are hard to cut.  You may be able to find them precut as SS Disks.

The order a tube of DiCor Lap Sealant.  WHITE works  I use this to seal or touch up the caulking on my roof.  Peel OFF all the patching material...if the patch is bigger than my suggestion...get a bigger disk.  Scrape or abrade off ALL the old sealant or patches.  THEN use Acetone....sparingly....on a cloth or a brush and clean the surface down to the bare or original Gelcoat (Paint if you like).  THEN put a few RINGS of sealant around the hole...concentric and each one a little (maybe 1/4" out) larger.  Put down the SS patch or plate or disk.  THEN seal around the edges.  If it make you happier....LOL, then put a thin layer over the top.  

That is HOW Monaco installed the GROUND PLANE Plate for the Siris/XM antennas....except they used a piece of steel or a MAGNETIC SS.  They then put the magnetic antenna over the top of the plate.....there was a HOLE in the fiberglass under the plate.  I did than myself on a fiberglass Winnie....WORKED GREAT.  NEVER leaked.  My Satellite has a "Feeder" grommet and it is done the same way.

The DiCor is self leveling.  Works easily.  Your FINGER is a good tool.

That will seal it and it will NEVER leak....

• Like 1

This sounds great for my application. My '06 Neptune has an obsolete Dish Network receiver & radome.

I want to install a few ham VHF & UHF vertical antennas, and I wasn't sure how to go about it. Versions that require no ground plane are typically much taller, to enable a half-wave radiator to exist above the roof.

Thanks for this solution, Tom.

-- Barney -- KL7HNY