Two Factor Authentication

Monacoers,

I have enabled OPTIONAL Two Factor Authentication (2FA) on Monacoers.org.  We have had two incidents today that caused concern.  It is not required, but will increase the security of your account if you chose to use it.

Two methods are available: Questions & Answer or Google Authenticator.  Q&A is easier; Google Authenticator is much more secure.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Scotty

Two-just today? Yikes…This is why we can’t have nice things. 😪

It threw me for a loop, as you must have posted at the same time I was forum surfing.

Thanks for the heads up.

It popped up on me too.  However as I read from my phone I'm not sure how to take a picture of the QR code displayed ON my phone FROM my phone.  Took me half a dozen tries to "opt out" as it constantly took me to my profile where I couldn't see any setting that I could change.  Some how it eventually got me out of my profile back to some posts.  This maybe the end of reading the group for me.  I'm not going to answer a bunch of questions each time I want to read something. I'll do it formy banks and credit cards but not a discussion forum.

Me too (took me to my profile)multiple times. I answered the ?s but with nonsense. Hopefully I’ll not have to remember them. 😂

Im not against MFA per se, it was just odd it popped up while reading posts. That was what threw me off.

28 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

It popped up on me too.  However as I read from my phone I'm not sure how to take a picture of the QR code displayed ON my phone FROM my phone.  Took me half a dozen tries to "opt out" as it constantly took me to my profile where I couldn't see any setting that I could change.  Some how it eventually got me out of my profile back to some posts.  This maybe the end of reading the group for me.  I'm not going to answer a bunch of questions each time I want to read something. I'll do it formy banks and credit cards but not a discussion forum.

It’s optional.  You shouldn’t have to do it. If you do, I have a setting wrong.  

I’ve updated the settings.  It shouldn’t require it, ever. I moved the opt-in to a profile setting, so if someone wants it, they can go to their profile and turn it on. 

It’s only required for Moderators and Administrators.

For anyone who wants to enable 2FA, go to Account —> Account Settings —> Security & Privacy.  You can turn it off or on, and chose what method to use in those settings.

I would implement it, but I use Monacoers from my phone 90% of the time.  It was asking me to take a picture of an on-screen QR code (on the phone) to authenticate.  For now, my option will have to be to choose not to use MFA until the implementation recognizes the user is on a phone.

I would really be glad to use MFA (depending on how often I'd have to re-authenticate).  MFA is very familiar from business settings and I applaud the added security measures.  Thanks Scotty for setting this up!!

If anyone if having issues with 2FA, please sent me a PM.  It should be totally optional, and only enabled through your Account Settings.  

If you got caught in it while I was making changes, send me a PM and I’ll make sure you’re opted-out of 2FA. 

5 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Monacoers,

I have enabled OPTIONAL Two Factor Authentication (2FA) on Monacoers.org.  We have had two incidents today that caused concern.  It is not required, but will increase the security of your account if you chose to use it.

Two methods are available: Questions & Answer or Google Authenticator.  Q&A is easier; Google Authenticator is much more secure.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Scotty

How do we set this up on our account?

How do we set this up?

1 hour ago, thomasgibbens said:

How do we set this up on our account?

How do we set this up?

Go to Account —> Account Settings —> Security & Privacy.  You can turn it off or on, and choose what method to use in those settings.

When the pop up window first appeared I opted out.  Then after I read Scotties comment on 2 member issue I went into the account settings and set up the 2 step authentication.  Not big deal when it comes to internet security.

FWIW, a couple weeks ago there was news of an ATT security breach, it provided a website that would tell you if a password was circulating on the dark web.  So I went through my list PW on use on the most visited sites and found ~20.  So went through and changed the ones that were compromised.   Never can be too careful

• Like 2