Dynasty Dash Removal

Has anyone removed the dash pad on their later model year Dynasty? There is significant movement over by the passenger corner of the flat dashboard and I'm thinking that the support under the pad has become loose or deteriorated.  

I've removed all the easy to access screws and it's obvious that I'm going to have to dig deeper to find the primary fastners.   Before I start pulling drawers and instrument dash panels, I thought I would ask for any tips or advise from those who have ventured into their dash.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if Monaco improved their dash accessibility over the years, but on my '97 the only way to remove the top of the dash was to remove the screws holding the defrost vents to the floor of the dash and then yank the dash up to force the screws that had been driving into the top from below to give way / tear out. There was no physical way to remove these screw from outside of the dash, at least not without wanting to remove /  possibly destroy the vinyl covering.

This actually worked okay, but is a very poor design for allowing future access and "disappoints" me in Monaco every time I think about it.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LakeBob said:

Before I start pulling drawers and instrument dash panels

They are snow flakes. You will have to start pulling drawers and instrument dash panels and use a mirror and flashlight to find the fasteners. I had to take mine apart to replace the A/C-heater blower motor a few years back. (see some pictures)

Dash done.jpg

Dash.jpg

Front AH heat exchanger .jpg

Front dash cover.jpg

Front dash removed.jpg

Front dash.jpg

Behind drawer.jpg

Behind radio.jpg

Here's the pics of my dash set up.  I have a desk/drawer on the passenger side and a drawer below the center dash panel.  The right front corner moves an inch or more when you put a small amount of pressure on it.  I believe the support underneath has failed.  This results in squeaks when the dash panel rubs against the plastic windshield post cover. 

Thanks!

IMG_3023.thumb.JPG.7ea0ced901d54cf8006b5805010312b2.JPGIMG_3024.thumb.JPG.611b51bf6b18242f6e88835b3b952da2.JPGIMG_3027.thumb.JPG.52283b5c2f2a18b5c51068c455925b18.JPGIMG_3028.thumb.JPG.4762c2e973a13eac7276db3df806b012.JPGIMG_3029.thumb.JPG.68922f507578924bd5093645cd461d7f.JPG

Yours is definitely different than my 2012 Diplomat.  On mine, there is a small part of the dash above the steering wheel that lifts off, then you can see the screws for the main dash cover.  It looks like you could remove the radio panel or HVAC control panel and see if you can look in those cavities and figure out how it’s secured.

You can pop the screw head covers off your dash (the round button vinyl things) carefully with a screwdriver.  It is a good idea to put something between the screwdriver and the dash vinyl so you don't poke a hole in the vinyl.  Then you can remove the screws holding the dash top on.  Note that there are also 2 screws (one on each end) of the defrost vents that will need to be removed. To access these you must first remove the screws holding each defrost vent cover on.

Also note that there may be other screws holding your dash on that you won't be able to access easily and may have to simply force the dash off, stripping out the wood around those screws, but there is no way to know until you remove the screws you can see, which are under those round covers and the defrost vents.

Edited by RoadTripper2084

I note the colour of the dials in the pics are black, mine are 'silver'........... does anyone have a solution for making dials readable when in direct sunlight?  Can't see a thing.

On 9/13/2024 at 8:13 AM, Les Hurdle said:

I note the colour of the dials in the pics are black, mine are 'silver'........... does anyone have a solution for making dials readable when in direct sunlight?  Can't see a thing.

Glass dash aka BlueFire

- bob