Thomas compressor rebuild info

Anyone,

I removed compressor from coach and it would not work (hasn’t worked since I’ve owned coach). Anyway, I got it all apart and cleaned it up & reassembled… it works great!

BUT…. I need to either replace or find a source for the thermal protection (looks like a set of points).  It moves enough that it runs intermittently.

A Thomas source in CA told me Thomas didn’t build the motor so they could not help.  So it’s junk?

QUESTION… is it viable to bypass the old and install a new thermo switch (like an FC-PD2)?  I think there is enough room in the case cover.

OR - what is the type of metal that would melt (like solder??) to add back onto the points. Then it could melt away and creat the gap if needed.

I know… just buy a new ride tech, VIAIR, or similar…. I just have an issue when a $9 part fails requiring throwing things away.  Call me cheap if you want.

Thanks for any input.

Pictures would be great. As you are aware, and based on what you posted and such….finding and properly mounting a thermal overload protection “device” would work.  Don’t suppose that you have the motor ID tag as to who made it or you could use the specs and find a new motor.  Call that supplier and ask “what temperature is the thermal overload motor rated”.

Have you downloaded and checked the prints and PDF on the Viair.  They were responsive a few years ago.  They might help you.  Basically, it I understand you, it is a bimetallic strip with a set of contacts.  Gets too hot, opens up. Same design that has been used in hand held hair dryers for years….once it gets hot….and cools back down….it works.

My question….have you run the compressor and used a clamp on ammeter and checked the amperage?  If the FLA is correct….and the thermal overload is opening….there may be a bad “bushing/bearing” or the compressor is worn and there is too much friction.  Owning a clamp on Ammeter/DVM is one of the handiest meters to have.

Until you know the load, compared to the rating…or the “watts”….and measure it, having the compressor run and “seem normal” is not, I think, a valid test.

Good luck.

Tom,

I don’t have a clamp-on meter.  I guess that’s next on the wish list.  Related to load…. It’s not blowing the 15amp fuse.  
After my rebuild & install the unit has worked as designed (I did have to tweak the arm ever so slightly so the points would stay in contact - as expected, it is a meek arm so it will move when temp threshold is met).
I did another test yesterday and “called for air”… it ran off & on (like the points arcing) then I let off the button.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture nor the motor faceplate.  Looking online at new Thomas’, the sticker doesn’t give any motor info.  I’ve called & emailed a sales rep in Louisiana but they don’t return EITHER contact.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if anyone has issues with their auxiliary compressor, you’ll just have to buy a replacement.  A couple different options have been used by members here.

No companies will return calls/messages/emails and others that do don’t support the electric motor side of the Thomas units. 

If you are savvy, you could buy a thermal switch (temperature switch) and replace the existing type.  Parts are in the $12 range.  The down side is that I cannot find the temperature limit for the part.

Thanks for those that offered info.

I had the same problem with a bad thermal switch. I found a used compressor on eBay that was in a dentist’s office and paid around $100 for it. It’s been working fine for a few years now so you might want to check eBay and marketplace you may get lucky. From what I have found they aren’t designed to be in the elements and dirt and moisture gets in the motor housing and causes them to fail. Some relocate them but I just rapped mine with a waterproof breathable type foam that protects it from dust and dirt. I still have my old one and just can’t throw it out. I would like to fix it and have as a spare. 

All,

A few hours after posting forget it… I got an email from Nor-cal controls (people were on vacation)..  here is the answer I got..

Thomas advised the current part number is 627243 for the brushcard assy.  Price is $16.25.  Lead time is 4 weeks.

I have asked about how/who to order from…. Expect an answer today.

we’ll see what happens.

Thanks,