I've been laying around under the 2012 F53 chassis and noticed a few things. The header bolts are starting to rust. I've seen other posts on broken header bolts. Should I be concerned about this and replace them, use rust treatment on them, or let nature take it's course?

Thanks!

JD

IMG20240909100023.jpg

I'm not sure what you could put on them that would last any lenght of time for a rust treatment. If you try to rplace them be ready to open a can of worms. I did mine on my old Rexhall because I had to replace the gaskets and I think 3 broke. If you are going to do them soak them for a few days with a good penetrative like Air Kroil (sp) or similar before starting.  

• Like 1

And wire brush the threads clean before attacking the nuts. Impact gun would be my choice for those. These are studs and may come out with the nuts still on them, no big deal, you can replace them if need be or just reuse but why even do it.

Edited by Ivan K
  • Like 2

I suppose exhaust pipe is aluminized to protect like galvanizing, so maybe I'd try some aluminum paint?  I'd think it would burn off the manifold, but maybe that part stays a little cooler being attached to the head? I would not replace them proactively.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JDPenn said:

So, guys, thanks for all your insight and suggestions. If I were to leave them as is, what do you think the life span is? 2  years, 4 years, could break tomorrow, lol?

My Rexhall was over 20 when the exhaust gasket went.

• Like 1

Craggar and I both have 8.3's with a longer six cylinder manifold that, I think, breaks bolts from the expansion and contraction.  Mine was replaced before I bought it with some broken, and that's fairly normal with the cummins.  Our cast iron heads make the bolt remove different, easier in some ways, but that aluminum head should release the bolts easy if you weld a nut onto the broken part and let it cool.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Craggar and I both have 8.3's with a longer six cylinder manifold that, I think, breaks bolts from the expansion and contraction.  Mine was replaced before I bought it with some broken, and that's fairly normal with the cummins.  Our cast iron heads make the bolt remove different, easier in some ways, but that aluminum head should release the bolts easy if you weld a nut onto the broken part and let it cool.

Yes I do have the 8.3 now but I was using my old Rexhall as my exprience with the V10 exhaust studs.

• Like 2