Step Light Operation - Lippert Step Controller 164889

While replacing the magnetic "step out" dash light switch on my lippert steps, I noticed an amber clearance light mounted on the step assembly.  This is placed to light up the steps from under the coach.  This has never worked, so while in the area thought I would trouble shoot and get this working.   I suspected the ground was bad, as it was covered in an inch or two of packed in dirt and road grime.  Removed and cleaned the ground, no joy.  A black wire from the controller (I believe this is noted as the "not used" wire in the main diagram below and in the inset porch light switch diagram the color is not noted) was connected to the light for power.  Connecting my meter to the black wire showed no voltage, regardless of porch or step handle/light switch position.  I noticed a purple wire coming from the controller that was not connected.  Looking at the diagram below, it appears that the purple wire should be connected to the existing porch or step/handle light circuit to power this step light.   Appears that Monaco went through the effort to mount and wire the light, however neglected to connect the purple wire to the porch or step/handle light circuit.  I haven't looked at the Monaco wiring diagrams yet.  

Am I looking at this correctly?  Anyone have experience with a Monaco installed step light?

Anyone have the step light installed from the factory that is actually working?

Ordered a new light and will install and wire up this weekend.

Sorry, didnt think about taking pictures while under the coach today.  I'll take a few when installing the new light.  

IMG_3040.thumb.JPG.12f4dd951088e01a86029a259086c99c.JPG

image.thumb.png.2f390692286d0990faca39a31faafd3a.png

Edited by LakeBob

My take.  I NEVER remember the step light working.  The reason....  I THINK...  Monaco had, on many models, a REMOTE or keyless entry system.  That system, Essex or Trimark, had a 30 Second "PORCH LIGHT" on circuit.  SO, I do NOT know if mine is connected...or ever worked.  The purple wire is what the print says will power it.  Test that for voltage. Since the remote, usually, turns on the porch light for a 30 second period….then odds are….a diode would have been required to prevent backfeed.

Here is the print for mine.  Your Step is a TWO STEP....when mine is ONE...but I THOUGHT that CoachStep made them both and used the SAME controller.

You need to see how your's is WIRED on the PRINTS.  If you look carefully.  The four Connector harness is on your print....on the lower left side.  THEN the Purple WIRE.  Then...it is difficult to see the rest....but I'm guessing, since there is NO POWER INPUT on my Monaco print...based on the size of the wires....that the GREEN is power.  There is a RED and Yellow there....which would be for the MOTOR..  There is a sort of hidden wire below it....

BUT, using the OPTIONAL PORCH LIGHT Circuit would have, IMHO, interfered with the Keyless entry....so Monaco never hooked it up.  NOW WHY did all the steps have the "clearance" light.  NARY a clue.  BUT, it HAS BEEN discussed and is a PITA to keep the moisture and such out of ....and has been "DISREGARDED or ABANDONED" by many....if not the majority.

I don't KNOW and maybe it called out in the install instructions....exactly WHEN it stays ON.

IF it stays ON....when the step is OUT...  Then, it will be a parasitic load.  MANY of us do NOT use the CYCLE every time setting.  Mine is simple.  PARK... Step comes out...  STEP STAYS OUT.  We come and go and the STEP never cycles.  THAT is less wear and tear on the motor....and the GEARS...which is the WEAK POINT.  Turn on IGNITION.  Close door or have door closed...and turn on IGNITION.  BINGO, Step retracts...

DRIVE....get to new location or stop.  Open door... STEP Extends.  NOW, some prefer that it cycle every time....different strokes for different strokes.

BUT, if you boondock, I would want to KNOW WHEN (test the Purple WIRE) the step or Porch light is ON.  If you leave OUT the steps....to prevent battery drain and needlessly cycling the steps.....and the light stays on...you have a Parasitic drain on the battery from the step light...

FWIW....  That clearance light bulb, assuming it is the standard 194...will draw 276 mA or 0.276 Amps.  Your TWO alarms...  Propane and CO draw a combined 198...so that is 40% MORE JUICE than the two alarms COMBINED.  Folks fret and fight to save 10 - 15 mA....  In terms of parasitic....that step, if the bulb is on....like I THINK mine would be...will draw, Daily, 3% of your usable 225 Amp Hours (50% of a Four Battery Bank)....  THEN, if you say..  OK....set it to cycle....the amp draw of that motor will really add up.

Just pointing out the circuitry and my BELIEF.  You can TEST and verify....just understand the consequences of adding something that Monaco, apparantly chose...at least on mine....not to incorporate....

Entry step.pdf

My amber light underneath is only illuminated when my door step switch is set for retracting when the door closes. So when the door is open, it illuminates. If I set the switch for the step to stay extended, the amber light doesn’t illuminate. 

• Like 1

Mine's goofy too.  I thought about wiring the light to the porch light, but getting behind panels and through walls & floors isn't my best skill.

On our old Fleetwood gasser if the porch light was on so was the under step light.  Now that makes sense!

- bob

BTW....FWIW.

The Dynasty NEVER had the Clearance light hooked up.  Here is the print for the 2008 Dynasty and the 2009 "HOUSE" circuits are "typically and for the most part".... all the same as the 2008's and earlier.

If one wants the STEP LIGHT ON.....one needs to follow the diagram and FUSE IT....

A matter of personal choice....but NOT AN OVERSIGHT or a "GEE... Monaco GOOFED".

This print is exactly the same....as far as the controller wiring goes....as my 2009 Camelot.  

I still stand by me “guess & logic” that Monaco never used this…as the 30 seconds ON porch light signal and the Purple wire to the porch light would have required diodes….and the “foot light” was not something they felt was necessary…

38071105 (Schematic, Entry Step, SCS).pdf

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

My take.  I NEVER remember the step light working.  The reason....  I THINK...  Monaco had, on many models, a REMOTE or keyless entry system.  That system, Essex or Trimark, had a 30 Second "PORCH LIGHT" on circuit.  SO, I do NOT know if mine is connected...or ever worked.  The purple wire is what the print says will power it.  Test that for voltage. 

Here is the print for mine.  Your Step is a TWO STEP....when mine is ONE...but I THOUGHT that CoachStep made them both and used the SAME controller.

You need to see how your's is WIRED on the PRINTS.  If you look carefully.  The four Connector harness is on your print....on the lower left side.  THEN the Purple WIRE.  Then...it is difficult to see the rest....but I'm guessing, since there is NO POWER INPUT on my Monaco print...based on the size of the wires....that the GREEN is power.  There is a RED and Yellow there....which would be for the MOTOR..  There is a sort of hidden wire below it....

BUT, using the OPTIONAL PORCH LIGHT Circuit would have, IMHO, interfered with the Keyless entry....so Monaco never hooked it up.  NOW WHY did all the steps have the "clearance" light.  NARY a clue.  BUT, it HAS BEEN discussed and is a PITA to keep the moisture and such out of ....and has been "DISREGARDED or ABANDONED" by many....if not the majority.

I don't KNOW and maybe it called out in the install instructions....exactly WHEN it stays ON.

IF it stays ON....when the step is OUT...  Then, it will be a parasitic load.  MANY of us do NOT use the CYCLE every time setting.  Mine is simple.  PARK... Step comes out...  STEP STAYS OUT.  We come and go and the STEP never cycles.  THAT is less wear and tear on the motor....and the GEARS...which is the WEAK POINT.  Turn on IGNITION.  Close door or have door closed...and turn on IGNITION.  BINGO, Step retracts...

DRIVE....get to new location or stop.  Open door... STEP Extends.  NOW, some prefer that it cycle every time....different strokes for different strokes.

BUT, if you boondock, I would want to KNOW WHEN (test the Purple WIRE) the step or Porch light is ON.  If you leave OUT the steps....to prevent battery drain and needlessly cycling the steps.....and the light stays on...you have a Parasitic drain on the battery from the step light...

FWIW....  That clearance light bulb, assuming it is the standard 194...will draw 276 mA or 0.276 Amps.  Your TWO alarms...  Propane and CO draw a combined 198...so that is 40% MORE JUICE than the two alarms COMBINED.  Folks fret and fight to save 10 - 15 mA....  In terms of parasitic....that step, if the bulb is on....like I THINK mine would be...will draw, Daily, 3% of your usable 225 Amp Hours (50% of a Four Battery Bank)....  THEN, if you say..  OK....set it to cycle....the amp draw of that motor will really add up.

Just pointing out the circuitry and my BELIEF.  You can TEST and verify....just understand the consequences of adding something that Monaco, apparantly chose...at least on mine....not to incorporate....

Entry step.pdf 59.7 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for drawing. I see the purple and black wire are not shown. 

Thanks Tom, the light is a 2 diode LED.   With PM 169 and DOT P2 03 Markings. 

Found a replacement on Etrailer:  Peterson Piranha LED Clearance or Side Marker Trailer Light - Submersible - 2 Diodes - Amber Lens Peterson Trailer Lights 169A (etrailer.com)

IMG_3045.thumb.JPG.a20780ee2bda0778a489216d16c7216c.JPGIMG_3046.thumb.JPG.90c1d2425ecdb4d6532880fff1d72cdd.JPG

I’m a bit confused.  Where exactly is the light mounted?  Where does the power to ir come from.  If the light is a REAL porch light above or near the door, then it is powered by the Keyless entry system.  On SOME Coach Steps, there is a round cheap and not waterproof “clearance style” light under the step.

What Coachstep/Lippert is refering to is a STAND ALONE porch light…. I think.  Been a while since I crawled under mine, but I was referring to the “not well designed nor placed” round light under the step.

We may have a communication issue….  Running the purple wire to the OEM Exterior Porch light would be a hassle and require a dual diode Roadmaster taillight to prevent backfeed.

NOW, if this is a clearance style light on the lower side or near the step…that is a horse of a different color.

Pictures and narrative would be nice.  Bottom line…on the drawing, Monaco NEVER showed it.  BUT if you dig into the prints, as I did….out of curiosity, you need to find the circuit for the “LIGHT” and determine WHERE and HOW it is powered…. I’m assuming that your Purple wire is NOT Terminated… And just “hanging out”.

Thanks in advance for clarification…

6 hours ago, Pduggs said:

My amber light underneath is only illuminated when my door step switch is set for retracting when the door closes. So when the door is open, it illuminates. If I set the switch for the step to stay extended, the amber light doesn’t illuminate. 

This is how mine works as well.

Just double checked and yep, only in step extend / retract mode.

Edited by 96 EVO

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

I’m a bit confused.  Where exactly is the light mounted?  Where does the power to ir come from.  If the light is a REAL porch light above or near the door, then it is powered by the Keyless entry system.  On SOME Coach Steps, there is a round cheap and not waterproof “clearance style” light under the step.

What Coachstep/Lippert is refering to is a STAND ALONE porch light…. I think.  Been a while since I crawled under mine, but I was referring to the “not well designed nor placed” round light under the step.

We may have a communication issue….  Running the purple wire to the OEM Exterior Porch light would be a hassle and require a dual diode Roadmaster taillight to prevent backfeed.

NOW, if this is a clearance style light on the lower side or near the step…that is a horse of a different color.

Pictures and narrative would be nice.  Bottom line…on the drawing, Monaco NEVER showed it.  BUT if you dig into the prints, as I did….out of curiosity, you need to find the circuit for the “LIGHT” and determine WHERE and HOW it is powered…. I’m assuming that your Purple wire is NOT Terminated… And just “hanging out”.

Thanks in advance for clarification…

The light was wired with power coming from the black wire exiting the control module  The purple wire is not connected, just stripped back a 1/2” and hanging loose(I’m going to address that) 

The light was mounted in the hole to the left of the white magnetic switch.

image.thumb.jpg.1ef89cf3ea327f1436d7b754627f065b.jpgThese are the step on my rig 

image.thumb.jpg.c6a1a44ba0e7c2565edb67cb0af7e4a7.jpg

1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

This is how mine works as well.

I have not tried that combination.  Thanks to you two for this information! 

1 hour ago, LakeBob said:

The light was wired with power coming from the black wire exiting the control module  The purple wire is not connected, just stripped back a 1/2” and hanging loose(I’m going to address that) 

The light was mounted in the hole to the left of the white magnetic switch.

image.thumb.jpg.1ef89cf3ea327f1436d7b754627f065b.jpgThese are the step on my rig 

image.thumb.jpg.c6a1a44ba0e7c2565edb67cb0af7e4a7.jpg

I have not tried that combination.  Thanks to you two for this information! 

OK….if there is NO POWER going to the positive on the light….blame Monaco.  Lots of STRANGE things happened to the 2009’s….as they cut back on assemblers and folks were rarely well trained.  Mine is a mid 2008 MH.

Next UP.  Frank McElroy says he believes his lower light works.  BUT there must be a timer in the Lippert controller…as it does not come one and stay on.

SO….test and let us know.  It the old light has NO Positive power…and you not commented, I think, on that….then Mr. Purple is probably the right wire.

BUT the term “Porch” is not the same as the one that Monaco has over or near the door.

I’ve been doing some step troubleshooting the last few weeks.  I feel like I’m becoming somewhat of an expert on how they are “supposed” to work.  The black wire is power from the controller to the light.  The light should illuminate when the door is opened.  I keep my switch in the lockout position (steps stay extended) and the light comes on whenever the door is opened.  It has a timer, but I never actually timed it.  I’d say it comes on for 2 minutes or so.  As far as the purple wire, you can connect that to any 12 volt source and the step light will illuminate.  I think most people wire it to the porch light or grab bar light.  

• Like 1

I was just dealing with the Kwikee steps on my rig when I had to replace the motor a couple of months ago.

The round orange light that is mounted under the bottom step is powered directly from the Kwikee step controller module. On my rig, it lights anytime the magnetic door switch detects that the door has been opened, and stays lit for a minute or 5 after each door opening event. Whether or not the steps are configured to open/close with the door opening via the inside switch does not impact this operation. Door opened? Light is on for a few minutes.

There is also a purple wire coming from the Kwikee step controller that you can optionally connect to your "porch/outside light" switch/circuit in the coach if you wanted the step light to stay on anytime your porch light was on, but this was not wired from the factory, at least on my '97 Dynasty.

19 minutes ago, dandick66 said:

I’ve been doing some step troubleshooting the last few weeks.  I feel like I’m becoming somewhat of an expert on how they are “supposed” to work.  The black wire is power from the controller to the light.  The light should illuminate when the door is opened.  I keep my switch in the lockout position (steps stay extended) and the light comes on whenever the door is opened.  It has a timer, but I never actually timed it.  I’d say it comes on for 2 minutes or so.  As far as the purple wire, you can connect that to any 12 volt source and the step light will illuminate.  I think most people wire it to the porch light or grab bar light.  

Fascinating.  What you posted doesnt “jibe” with the page from the manual.  BUT…if I understand…

The UNUSED black wire is on a timed 12 VDC line from the Controller.  But, the print plainly shows the Purple Wire as a DIRECT connect to the “porch” light.  That’s what Lippert says.  It is dangerous to backfeed a 12 VDC output line….as that can damage the board.  Now…it if powers the lower light….fine….an UNINTENDED consequence….but not what Lippert says to do.

Again…if the black works and is a times positive 12 VDC line….great.

But we caution members, sometimes daily, about doing experiments or making circuit mods that are in conflict with the Manufacturer’s instructions….so….understand why the comment has to be made.

Thanks for the info on the “unused” black line.  Monaco, to the best of all the searching and I and others have done….never documented that…but hey…you have a 2012…so who knows.

43 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Fascinating.  What you posted doesnt “jibe” with the page from the manual.  BUT…if I understand…

The UNUSED black wire is on a timed 12 VDC line from the Controller.  But, the print plainly shows the Purple Wire as a DIRECT connect to the “porch” light.  That’s what Lippert says.  It is dangerous to backfeed a 12 VDC output line….as that can damage the board.  Now…it if powers the lower light….fine….an UNINTENDED consequence….but not what Lippert says to do.

Again…if the black works and is a times positive 12 VDC line….great.

But we caution members, sometimes daily, about doing experiments or making circuit mods that are in conflict with the Manufacturer’s instructions….so….understand why the comment has to be made.

Thanks for the info on the “unused” black line.  Monaco, to the best of all the searching and I and others have done….never documented that…but hey…you have a 2012…so who knows.

I just went out to my coach and verified that the black wire is 12 volts out to the light.  It is on a 5 minute timer.  As far as the purple wire, yes, it should be connected to the porch light (if desired).  I should not have said that it could be connected to “any” 12 volt source.  In theory, you could connect the way I originally described, but the porch light connection makes the most sense.  Lippert/Kwikee says the purple wire is for an “optional step light switch”.  

Kwikee Step O&M.pdf

3 hours ago, dandick66 said:

I just went out to my coach and verified that the black wire is 12 volts out to the light.  It is on a 5 minute timer.  As far as the purple wire, yes, it should be connected to the porch light (if desired).  I should not have said that it could be connected to “any” 12 volt source.  In theory, you could connect the way I originally described, but the porch light connection makes the most sense.  Lippert/Kwikee says the purple wire is for an “optional step light switch”.  

Kwikee Step O&M.pdf 1.05 MB · 0 downloads

OK…..long day.  Driving Home.  I had to lubricate my step.  @RoadTripper2084 is correct as you verified.  There is the “infamous” Black wire connected to my small round light….which has a shorted and damaged base and I elected NOT to effect repairs.

My PURPLE wire is terminated properly with an insulated terminal….and obviously not used.

The purple wire should NOT be connected to any MH with a remote or key fob where the “UNLOCK” illuminates the overhead Porch Light…..directly. Should that still be the desire…then a Roadmaster Taillight Diode (actually has TWO diodes internally) must be used to prevent a backfeed to either the Keyless Entry Module or the Step control module.

Been a saga of almost epic proportions….but this is how we learn and verify.

Good Luck.

Interesting. Just to muddy the waters, I’ve never messed with the wiring on mine, except to replace the Amber clearance light with “waterproof” LED strips. Mine turns on when the steps go in or out, and stays on in the “porch” light is on. LEDs are attached to the purple wire. 

IMG_6024.jpeg

PS - no my steps aren’t that clean. This was right after I rehabbed them with new bushings, paint, and treads last year.  

• Like 2