FAILED (water damage?) Norcold 1200 Recall DEVICE. Need information & guidance.

VinceB
Go to solution Solved by VinceB,

I did the search but turned up no results.

Some background: Once in a while, not every time, when the coach gets washed, the recall unit on the Norcold would cut out power to the refrigerator.  The light would show constant red and the magnet trick would work every time - been doing that for years with no problems. The recall unit appears to be sensitive to water or moisture.

Fast forward to today where I replaced my water valve as pictured. The hose connection was not 100% tight and was dripping water until I was able to tighten it.  So far so good.

While wiping the water from the bottom of the compartment, I heard the unit trip - this time with a flashing red light.  I never saw that blinking before. The magnet trick does not work this time.

My questions are:

• Is the unit fried?
  • If so, where is it recommended that I can get one somewhat quickly?

It appears pretty easy to bypass.  The refrigerator works pretty well and so I'm not ready to replace it just yet.

TempSensor.jpg

• Thanks 1

FWIW….and this is the “POLICY” or the Charter/Mission Statement of the SITE.

Posting of recommendations which are in conflict with Monaco’s manuals or schematics or the OEM Component manufacturer’s instructions or documentation can or may be edited so that members are aware of any condition that can or will potentially impact safety and /or cause damage to the motor home.

Based on the fire and personal safety concerns of the Norcold units, purchasing a “used” recall “SAFETY” device is net recommended.  If Norcold will not provide or sell such, then the only other protection or additional monitoring posted is the ARP equipment.  

Here is the “search” results using ARP as the key word in “topics”. There are two pages of information. It is suggested that the OP @VinceB PM the members that have the system and are knowledgeable.  Exchanging phone information and direct conversation regarding this is the best and most effective approach.

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=ARP&quick=1&type=forums_topic

There is also a complete NORCOLD file using NORCOLD as the key word and selecting FILES from the EVERYWHERE drop down menu.  All the Norcold contact information including phone numbers is in that file.  There are, memory, at least 5 separate documents.

BYPASSING IS NOT ADVISED AS THERE IS NO VISIBLE METHOD OF DETERMINING THE SAFETY OF THE NORCOLD UNIT.

Be SAFE and good luck.  Title has been edited.

• Like 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to FAILED (water damage?) Norcold 1200 Recall DEVICE. Need information & guidance.
3 hours ago, jmb5369 said:

A quick fix, take a magnet put it on the left corner area on the light side. After a couple seconds if unit is not bad you will hear clicks and light go off

That ASSUMES that the Printed Circuit Board does not have residual  or new “component(s) DAMAGE”.  The OP has stated that the safety device has failed, perhaps repeatedly, several times after being subjected to water or moisture.  Even if the unit responded to the “magnet” reset, there is no guarantee that the device was safe before when it would reset or would it be safe now.

Recommendations regarding “defeating or bypassing” critical safety devices are not appropriate and are subject to editing or deletion.  Please comply with the site rules. This is a personal and fire safety protection device and was provided by the manufacturer in accordance with a known defect that has resulted in lost lives and property destruction…..and NOT limited to the RV itself….

Thanks in advance.  This topic is being closely monitored due to this risk.

5 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Looking at the rust on your tubing, I'd say your cooling unit is just about done!

Yes, I was concerned about that too so I took a good look at all that I could reach.  It is surface rust with no deep defects.  You can scratch through it with a fingernail.

The first 3 years of the coach's life was back east = some salt.  Since 2004 it is a California coach and hasn't seen salt since and we've got relatively low humidity here.

• Solution

Follow up:

Unbelievable but here are the facts:

While looking at the sensor module that Russ R showed us on eBay, I noticed that there are 2 leads going into the PCB labeled "yellow": one red and one white.  My existing module has only a brown wire as pictured below.

While moving things around to get a good look, the module reset itself: no magnet involved. 

I jiggled the socket and was able to get the red flashing light again. I unplugged and plugged it in again and the problem appears to have been corrected. The refrigerator powers up like normal.  

It appears that perhaps I have been fighting a bad connection for years.  Or maybe not because all the previous times the light was a steady red. Maybe this was a different fault and my moisture sensitivity problem still exists.

IMG-4562.thumb.jpg.e8c237e4fe51b33624b52afb1c0e6a84.jpg

I did the magnet trick on mine twice.  The first time it lasted quite a while.  Second time the Norcold quite I reset it and it shut down the next day and went out and looked and I yellowish powder in the bottom.  Turned the propane off and shut the Norcold off and called it done.  I was parked on our property while building our house and we had a small dorm type fridge we'd been using in the old house so I just used that until I got time to replace the Norcold with the Samsung residential, one of the best mods I've done. 

So I'd be careful and if you don't need to use the fridge shut it down. 

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

So I'd be careful and if you don't need to use the fridge shut it down. 

The only time we run it is on a trip - a day before and a day after. No reason to run it just sitting in the driveway.

However, it is on right now to test the icemaker valve replacement. Another story in itself.

2 minutes ago, VinceB said:

The only time we run it is on a trip - a day before and a day after. No reason to run it just sitting in the driveway.

However, it is on right now to test the icemaker valve replacement. Another story in itself.

I used to run mine almost year round!

Recently realized the dent it was making on my power bill 😖!

Now I run a 1.6 cuft residential beer fridge in there between trips. Less than 1/4 of the power!

14 minutes ago, VinceB said:

So yours was tripping with moisture/water too?

Always GOOD to block off water intrusion where NOT NEEDED.  

Little known (DON’T ASK) FACTOID.  Any moisture in the ICEMAKER Junction box will have a detrimental impact on the reliability of the GFCI that is PROBABLY upstream.  Just a splash contaminated mine.  Took several treatments of WD-40.  The GFCI would trip prematurely.

It even, later that season, manifested itself with “dew or condensation” and we lost power on our day trips.  Was in Sante Fe after ABQ Ballon festival.  Sprayed again and then changed out the 5 YO GFCI.  Eventually rewired the circuit properly…..NO UPSTREAM GFCI.  Code requires a dedicated NON GFCI circuit for your home refrigerator and same for the Microwave.  NOT A SAFETY ISSUE….Monaco laziness….

31 minutes ago, VinceB said:

So yours was tripping with moisture/water too?

Yes, happened twice before I figured it out. Spent a day trouble shooting only to have a reset the next day after drying out I use a Helium filled Amish unit now. Works really good in hot dry weather, not so good when the humidity is high

5 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Always GOOD to block off water intrusion where NOT NEEDED.  

Little known (DON’T ASK) FACTOID.  Any moisture in the ICEMAKER Junction box will have a detrimental impact on the reliability of the GFCI that is PROBABLY upstream.  Just a splash contaminated mine.  Took several treatments of WD-40.  The GFCI would trip prematurely.

It even, later that season, manifested itself with “dew or condensation” and we lost power on our day trips.  Was in Sante Fe after ABQ Ballon festival.  Sprayed again and then changed out the 5 YO GFCI.  Eventually rewired the circuit properly…..NO UPSTREAM GFCI.  Code requires a dedicated NON GFCI circuit for your home refrigerator and same for the Microwave.  NOT A SAFETY ISSUE….Monaco laziness….

Yep. Been there too. My GFCI is right above the bathroom lav - installed new GFCI and rewired properly: no problem since.