Fantastic Fan Replacement or Repair?

Jim Roach

2006 Monaco Dynasty with 2 Fantastic fans, 1 in the toilet room, 1 in the bath/vanity area.  Both are controlled by the remote panel with the light switches.

After a few rough roads, and I’m assuming 18 years, the plastic tabs that hold the gear motor in place have broken.  Evidently 1 screw was loose and allowed the vibration to break the tab.  

Are there parts available for this generation fan? Or will a basic MaxAir fan wire the same so the remote button works?  I’ve had the fancy expensive Max Air with hand held remotes, but don’t see the need if it can be hardwired to the same switch the Fantastic fan was.

Suggestions?

22 minutes ago, Jim Roach said:

2006 Monaco Dynasty with 2 Fantastic fans, 1 in the toilet room, 1 in the bath/vanity area.  Both are controlled by the remote panel with the light switches.

After a few rough roads, and I’m assuming 18 years, the plastic tabs that hold the gear motor in place have broken.  Evidently 1 screw was loose and allowed the vibration to break the tab.  

Are there parts available for this generation fan? Or will a basic MaxAir fan wire the same so the remote button works?  I’ve had the fancy expensive Max Air with hand held remotes, but don’t see the need if it can be hardwired to the same switch the Fantastic fan was.

Suggestions?

First….

YES….Fantastic Fans sells parts.  Contact them.  They may use a distributor….did when I upgraded my fans to “rain sensing”.  They are the gold standard of vent fans….with no offense meant for the other guy.  Most major brands, like Winnebago use them as OEM.  I upgraded a feature on those in their top gasser.

Second…

The fans are integrated into the Intellitec MPX system.  Look at your prints.  The MPX RELAY OUTPUT module is connected to a board with 3 relays.  One for each fan.  The circuit works from the TOGGLE ON/OFF Module.  When you push the Fan ON….(the light is off), there is a constant 12 VDC signal to the relay (Bosch) for that fan.  The contacts are closed.  This is NOT a cheap “ON/OFF” wall switch circuit.  That relay then sends the ON SIGNAL to the fan….and the “auto up” system starts.

FINALLY.  The common cause of the AUTO UP failure is abuse….as in, every season, the fan needs to be turned on….whilst standing under it and helping, by turning the manual actuator, the fan “break free”.  The rubber gasket will stick….as in it is leakproof…a known virtue of the fans.  FF recommends a gentle “silicone” wiping (buy Plumbers Silicone grease….also recommended for lubing the “ball seal and gasket” on many RV toilets).  This keeps the gasket supple.

Typically, assisting with the first time season opening is sufficient…plus doing the recommended annual or once every few years wiping down the overhead gasket.

I certainly would repair the fans.  They are simple to work on.  As a precaution, use the SWITCH CHART in the CPU area and remove the 10A fuse for each circuit.

Good Luck.

• Thanks 1

Thanks,

I’ll search for parts. 

We’re fulltime and I actually just did all the roof vent rubber gaskets with silicone spray a few weeks ago.  We had a ping pong ball size hail storm that wiped out the vent covers and the AC covers.  While replacing those covers, I cleaned and lubed everything.  The bathroom vents get a work out daily, between 2 showers and using the facilities, I bet the toilet room fan gets opened 4-5 times a day. I expect the motor to wear out or the lift mechanism to fail, but the screw tabs is a new one.

• Thanks 1