2006 Dynasty Diamond IV Kitchen Vent

Jim Roach

Next repair I need to tackle is the Kitchen vent.  2006 Dynasty Diamond IV floor plan.  The vent and fan are fixed mounted- not a standard vent set up. It has the aluminum rain cover on the roof and the plastic sliding cover on the inside.  Ours has had a switch replacement with it being wired to pull air in…. Thats easy enough to swap the wires so it can exhaust correctly. I’m assuming this is a 110v assembly. Has anyone replaced this with a Max Air or Fantastic vent?  Something that doesn’t sound like a jet engine over your head when you’re cooking?  Is there 12v wiring already run in the ceiling?  Could I pull a positive wire off a ceiling light and use a remote- Max Air style?

Are there replacement slide covers available?

24 minutes ago, Jim Roach said:

Next repair I need to tackle is the Kitchen vent.  2006 Dynasty Diamond IV floor plan.  The vent and fan are fixed mounted- not a standard vent set up. It has the aluminum rain cover on the roof and the plastic sliding cover on the inside.  Ours has had a switch replacement with it being wired to pull air in…. Thats easy enough to swap the wires so it can exhaust correctly. I’m assuming this is a 110v assembly. Has anyone replaced this with a Max Air or Fantastic vent?  Something that doesn’t sound like a jet engine over your head when you’re cooking?  Is there 12v wiring already run in the ceiling?  Could I pull a positive wire off a ceiling light and use a remote- Max Air style?

Are there replacement slide covers available?

If it is 110 VAC, then switching wires does nothing….it is a DC motor that reverses when you change polarity.  The odds of getting a 12 VDC in the Monaco ceiling is slim and “forget it”.  All your lighted switch panels or such are Intellitec MPX.  That is a Multiplexed signal.  They feed the CPU in the back.  Then there is a circuit or a 10 Amp run for each array of puck lights or overhead fixtures.  Same deal as your Fantastic Fans….but the relays are energized by the Modules.

If you tap in and somehow found a lighting circuit wire….and then threw in a supplemental inductive load on it…..not gonna be pretty.  Mega issues and sometimes replacement parts are scarce…..

Suggest you search the files or pull your prints in the back of your owner’s manual.   Find the vent fan….and then see what powers it.  Also look at the various harness layouts.  AC in the MH is ONLY, per code, run with Romex….Monaco usually used 12/2WG.  Monaco usually ran #12 wire for DC circuits….  BUT if you overload one of the MPX Modules…..it gets unhappy.  Technically, it has ten 10 A circuits, but the diversity factor only allows 70 A total. We have had members with issues from faulty ballasts and they were acting like big resistors…..and that shut down an entire module….so 10 circuits went out.

Unless you fully understand the normal 12 VDC and 120 VAC and the MPX circuits….doing mods can be dangerous as well as costly.  

Prints are your best source.  Find the circuits…..see how it was done.  If someone “hacked or cheated”, then it is WISE to carefully understand or perhaps “undo” that…as many members have had issues…..and had to be creative just to recover….

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

If it is 110 VAC, then switching wires does nothing….it is a DC motor that reverses when you change polarity.  The odds of getting a 12 VDC in the Monaco ceiling is slim and “forget it”.  All your lighted switch panels or such are Intellitec MPX.  That is a Multiplexed signal.  They feed the CPU in the back.  Then there is a circuit or a 10 Amp run for each array of puck lights or overhead fixtures.  Same deal as your Fantastic Fans….but the relays are energized by the Modules.

If you tap in and somehow found a lighting circuit wire….and then threw in a supplemental inductive load on it…..not gonna be pretty.  Mega issues and sometimes replacement parts are scarce…..

Suggest you search the files or pull your prints in the back of your owner’s manual.   Find the vent fan….and then see what powers it.  Also look at the various harness layouts.  AC in the MH is ONLY, per code, run with Romex….Monaco usually used 12/2WG.  Monaco usually ran #12 wire for DC circuits….  BUT if you overload one of the MPX Modules…..it gets unhappy.  Technically, it has ten 10 A circuits, but the diversity factor only allows 70 A total. We have had members with issues from faulty ballasts and they were acting like big resistors…..and that shut down an entire module….so 10 circuits went out.

Unless you fully understand the normal 12 VDC and 120 VAC and the MPX circuits….doing mods can be dangerous as well as costly.  

Prints are your best source.  Find the circuits…..see how it was done.  If someone “hacked or cheated”, then it is WISE to carefully understand or perhaps “undo” that…as many members have had issues…..and had to be creative just to recover….

I completely forgot about the Multiplex….. If there set at 10am loads, then even with all LED lighting, a Max Air or Fantastic that is sticking shut would draw 14-16 amps (been there/done that). 

If it’s a 120 VAC fan, then a quieter bathroom exhaust fan would even work.  Little metal work for brackets and done.  

12 minutes ago, Jim Roach said:

I completely forgot about the Multiplex….. If there set at 10am loads, then even with all LED lighting, a Max Air or Fantastic that is sticking shut would draw 14-16 amps (been there/done that). 

If it’s a 120 VAC fan, then a quieter bathroom exhaust fan would even work.  Little metal work for brackets and done.  

BINGO.  YES, one can do a LOT.  BUT, without more info....  The ONLY 12 VDC lines in the roof are for lights and HVAC and a SPARE set for solar...unless used....and up front....most likely... a SAT hookup.  OTHER THAN THAT....NADA

BUT....if one tapped into the MPX line....one would then need a separate RELAY and switch.  One would also need to figure out HOW to use a common line....to switch on a fan....as well as control the lights.  NOT impossible....we have folks that are talented...but it would take quite a bit of doing.

AGAIN....how is it powered?  What do the prints say?  Take it from there...

The large kitchen exhaust fan in Dynasty, Executive and Signature is a Kool-O-Matic.  Kool-O-Matic made both 12V and 120V fans but I think our application uses 12V.  These fans were used in high end RV's like Foretravel and Wanderlodge.  Unfortunately, they went out of business in 2006.  

These fans move a LOT of air.  You could replace it with a MaxxFan but it wouldn't move the same amount of air.  

Be careful with the plastic inside cover as they also are no longer available.  

Post on replacing with a Fantastic fan:   https://www.foreforums.com/index.php?topic=28879.0

Troubleshooting: https://www.foreforums.com/index.php?topic=10355.0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dug into the archives- there is a wealth of info there! Thanks Tom for pointing that direction.  

The Kool-A-Magic is a 12v unit.  That makes swapping it easy, and eliminating another roof obstruction for solar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Roach said:

Dug into the archives- there is a wealth of info there! Thanks Tom for pointing that direction.  

The Kool-A-Magic is a 12v unit.  That makes swapping it easy, and eliminating another roof obstruction for solar.

Learning to search…and also “understanding and appreciating” the power of such….good to hear.  Spread the word.

THIS is why, we the staff, enforce the ONE TOPIC….ONE PROBLEM rule.

Glad my advice helped…fix and report, here of course, what you did.

3 hours ago, gjh2916 said:

I'm going to remove and replace the Cool-O-Matic fan in my coach this winter with a Dometic Freshjet 3 AC unit. I tired of not being able to get the front of my coach below 80 degrees on 100 degree days.

Mine is a 12v Koolamatic. You’ll have to find a 120 VAC source to pull from.

4 hours ago, gjh2916 said:

I'm going to remove and replace the Cool-O-Matic fan in my coach this winter with a Dometic Freshjet 3 AC unit. I tired of not being able to get the front of my coach below 80 degrees on 100 degree days.

Your coach only came with 2 units, or, your adding a 4th?

20 hours ago, gjh2916 said:

Going to run 12-2 romex from dryer plug and add a contractor with a switch to use dryer or AC unit

Do you have a power shedding devise ? Usually do if you have a washer/dryer. Maybe be with 3 AC on the roof as OEM.

29 minutes ago, Paul J A said:

Do you have a power shedding devise ? Usually do if you have a washer/dryer. Maybe be with 3 AC on the roof as OEM.

My coach came wired for washer/dryer 12-2 from main panel

1 hour ago, Paul J A said:

NO Dynasty, or up, ever came with the Intellitec EMS.  Only one know to have such added.  Bill Groves, RIP Hot Rod, became enamored with them and added one to his 2006 Dynasty…..can’t go back to 2001, BUT don’t recall such…

20 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

NO Dynasty, or up, ever came with the Intellitec EMS.  Only one know to have such added.  Bill Groves, RIP Hot Rod, became enamored with them and added one to his 2006 Dynasty…..can’t go back to 2001, BUT don’t recall such…

Our 2007 Executive did.  Also;  

22 minutes ago, Paul J A said:

Our 2007 Executive did.  Also;  

FASCINATING.  According to the owner’s manual and the sales brochure….and a lot of time (memory) in the Exec’s prints…..there is no mention, either standard or optional, in sections 8 & 9 of the Intellitec EMS in the EXEC.  Same goes for the Sales brochure.

So, your 2007 EXEC has the same EMS as the link describes???   There were no posts there from any Dynasty or higher level coaches….all lower end.

If you have it, could you post a picture of where the remote is located…..usually near the Magnum Remote.

Monaco often built special order MH’s….just never heard of a Dynasty or above with one….save Bill Groves….  And this covers a LOT of years of posts….but….NEVER SAY NEVER…

Thanks in advance…..this be a rare bird….