Water Filter Change - 3K0942 Under sink - Waited Too Long?

VinceB

I changed my water filter today - the one under the sink that also goes to the ice maker. Documentation says to change it when the water flow decreases.

Pulled and installed a new filter - date on the old filter was 11/2014.

Out of curiosity, I cut open the old filter and got quite a shock.  Lots of black - old charcoal maybe? Don't get it on your hands: it doesn't come off easily.

I've never seen a new one cut open so I can't say for certain what they look like when new and unused.

Anyway, here are some pix for your reading pleasure and FYI.

IMG-4565.thumb.jpg.142a26991700adf678bec1727c5adcc1.jpgIMG-4568.thumb.jpg.a91a29c79fd0d0e96d9b0d2d4143adac.jpgIMG-4569.thumb.jpg.c2924752b095098587775167b2ed7c11.jpgIMG-4571.thumb.jpg.f0b0b2582c804c80e89733ac2a8370aa.jpgIMG-4574.thumb.jpg.88bb3e565a80f11607fc0bdf1d0ec516.jpg

Edited by VinceB

Hard to tell from the filter if it is a “proprietary” style….as in a filter element made for a certain brand and/or model.  Many Monaco’s had such.  By the same token, many Monaco’s used the “universal” 5 GPM whole house filters…available almost anywhere.

Filters and filtration have received many posts or been covered in various topics over the years.  The consensus of the discussion is 

• Use the lowest or the coarsest level of filter.  Due to the low CG pressures and also some pump pressures, the high or ULTRA filters significantly reduce the flow and pressure….to unacceptable levels.
  • Activated charcoal filters are recommended if you camp where municipal water is supplied.  That “tones down” the over chlorination that most municipalities provide.  If the CG has “distasteful” water (sulfur, iron, etc), these also help.
  • If there is no taste or smell issues, then the “Foam” filters are considered as the best choice. They are tyoically the lowest level, but they will absorb many contaminates such as “iron”….these are the “in solution” type…copper probably also fits.
  • Members have spent considerable money on large ultrafiltration systems….only to find out that they were virtually non functional….as were the special elements for the Monaco filters.
  • Filters do NOT remove “minerals” or other contamination.  Many members have installed RO or Softeners….  Search the topics for results and/or information.
  • Many members….no idea of percentages…like myself have decades of experience with home or private wells.  We are not “accustomed” to overly chlorinated water….therefore, the lowest level of “filtration” using an “activated carbon” element is the best alternative….a matter of personal taste.
  • Read the manual for details and instructions for winterization using RV antifreeze. I THINK my manual warns against leaving the filter “in place” for sanitization or RV antifreeze. Monaco provided a bypass section of PEX. When winterizing, that bypass is installed via the “winged” or tri prong, hand tightened fitting.
  • Due to the potential for bacterial contamination, it is good practice to replace the element annually….

From memory my replacement filters are good for 700 gallons and mine services both the ice maker and the kitchen faucet.  I change mine annually since we don't full time. 

Never opened one of the old ones up but it does look like carbon of some sort. 

Just installed a whole house Carbon Block filter in the house, this is a 4"X10" filter and it recommends changing every 3 months ~7000 gallons.   I am on well water in a farming community with a farmers field within ~100 ft of my well.  My wife was complaining that the dogs won't drink the water if it sits in the bowl overnight.   The Carbon Block filter is capable of removing a lot of nasties.  We'll see if it works, I didn't tell my wife I installed it ~1 month ago and her complaining has subsided (well at least complaining about the water😄)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

From memory my replacement filters are good for 700 gallons and mine services both the ice maker and the kitchen faucet.  I change mine annually since we don't full time. 

Never opened one of the old ones up but it does look like carbon of some sort. 

Just installed a whole house Carbon Block filter in the house, this is a 4"X10" filter and it recommends changing every 3 months ~7000 gallons.   I am on well water in a farming community with a farmers field within ~100 ft of my well.  My wife was complaining that the dogs won't drink the water if it sits in the bowl overnight.   The Carbon Block filter is capable of removing a lot of nasties.  We'll see if it works, I didn't tell my wife I installed it ~1 month ago and her complaining has subsided (well at least complaining about the water😄)

Sort of off topic, but i was responsible for drilling over 100 monitoring and/or pump and treat wells in several states as part of my “Environmental Director” and site remediation duties.  The Carbon Block is actually a pressed or molded filter….ala the “solid foam” concept.  It is a activated carbon “dust/fines”.  Supposedly more efficient for removal of organics…..volatiles, petroleum, pesticides, herbicides, etc.  The manufacturer “sets the rules” on replacement…..some lower than your 7,000 gallons….many in excess of 15,000 gallons.  If I were in your situation, I’d contact the county or state Board of Health.  They often have certified labs that will analyze samples.

BE AWARE.  The EPA sampling requirements for organics is a bit “rigid”…(what…a GOV REG OVERBEARING?)….but protocols MUST be followed.  Many times the collection containers have stabilization chemicals pre packaged or in the container.

More importantly, the collection procedures often require a “sterilization” step…for the collection container as well as filling and sealing the sample container.  WHY?  The state of the art equipment will measure in PPB (parts per BILLION)…with some claiming…PPT (TRILLION)

So, just picking up a jug left over from “spring drinking water” might give false results.

BUT, based on the potential for carcinogenic organics…..testing by a high level and stare certified lab is the only REAL way to know…..so….you test directly after the recommended “purge or run off”…..then….after the results…..you can then make the call.

Installing one and periodic changing doesn’t hurt…and even if there is no “smell” or other evidence….probably a good idea.  But most well experts recommend Chlorine treatment when in doubt as the initial treatment. 

My Professional Geologist well guy helped me install a “bleed valve” so that a portion (say 20%) of the pump output is dumped or bled back into the vent of the well.  This helps eliminate bacteria…(iron specifically) and keeps the water much fresher and also “aerated”.  It also improves the pump life as the pump will run for maybe 60 to 90 seconds AFFTER a line or faucet is closed.  That allows for cooling down of the pump. Pump and Accumulator manufacturers now have complex digital or CPU controllers that regulates and also ensures purer water…as well as increased pump life.

MEANWHILE….we return to our regularly scheduled programming….

Yup, I was involved with EPA compliance for discharge of mine water, testing protocols were adhered to.  Sample bottles were put into a cooler and taken directly to a qualified lab.   Each mine had their own set of limits we had to abide by and if were out of compliance we had to self report.   Fortunately the mines in the USA I were involved with were fairly easy to maintain and comply with standards. 

Spain was another cup of tea, bunch of nasty elements in the ore (arsenic, fluoride, selenium, a bunch more).   We actually changed the mine plan to mine from areas with lower levels of certain elements so we could blend to meet concentrate contract limits.  It was a challenge and the Spanish Government was anti mining.  The requirement for Selenium was substantially lower then the background ground water. 

11 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Everpure doesn't list a 3k0942 filter on their web site. What did you replace it with?

Here's a pic of the head if it helps you find a replacement.

delete.thumb.jpg.c78bdacf25eda0b20f715d0e78ae967f.jpg

7 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

This is what I ordered recently https://www.ebay.com/itm/203407367906

Yup - good find!

Looks right but out out of stock?

Camping world has them ($47) as does Home Depot $(56) and Amazon pack of 2 for $109.

1. Model # EV959206. Store SKU # 1004349421. Shurflo. Everpure ADC Quick Change Full-Timer Cartridge (1) Questions & Answers ... shurflo other rv acessories. Related Products. Waterguard 10 in. Filter Housing. This is the perfect housing kit for city water connection or under counter use. Includes a Waterguard carbon paper cartridge, housing ...
  2. Replace your Everpure Filter Cartridge to keep drinking water fresh. Cartridge replacement for QC2-AC Everpure Water Purifying System lasts up to one year. It fits models QL2 or QL3. Protects you from waterborne bacteria, viruses, mold and algae. Reduces the taste and odor of chlorine, dirt, rust, cysts and asbestos. 1/2 GPM flow rate.
  3. Everpure EV959206 ADC Full Timer RV Water Filter Cartridge-- (Package Of 2) Brand: Recreational Vehicle RV Replacement Filters. 4.7 138 ratings. -9% $10930. Typical price: $119.99. Brand. Recreational 
Edited by VinceB