Michelin vs Toyo

trstaska
Go to solution Solved by hex_nut,

My Michelin's are 6 yrs old and I tried purchasing 275/80R22.5 XLEZ through the FMCA Michelin advantage program but they are back ordered.

I considered XZE but they are backordered and I've heard they might have sidewall problems.

I am considering Toyo but I can't find them in 275/80. Do they make 275/80 LRH? I'm told that I can use 295/75 instead. Is that right?

Does changing sizes screw up the speedometer/odometer? I am only getting new Drives, we replaced the Steers last Fall. We have always had Michelins, we put about 10,000 miles per year on the MH and we don't mind spending the extra money for Michelin's if we can get them. What's the general advice?

• Solution

The Toyo M154 295/75 has a diameter of 40.4 inches and a width of 11 inches.  The Michelin 275/80 has a diameter of 40.2 and a width of 11.1.  So, the two tire sizes are basically identical and would cause no significant change for your speedometer.  I am running Toyo's and have been very happy with them.

Richard

• Like 1

I have a 2006 Diplomat and I’m on my second set of Toyo 295/75R22.5 tires.  The first were M177s, the current set are M154. Next set will likely be M177 if I can find them; my perception is they rode a little smoother… Roughly 70,000 miles over 7+ years and zero problems. 

19 hours ago, trstaska said:

Does changing sizes screw up the speedometer/odometer? I am only getting new Drives, we replaced the Steers last Fall.

Drive tire size change does effect speedometer and consequently odometer. You can get an idea of percentage of change by comparing values of 'rotations per mile' which is in every manufacturers table I have seen.