Tires questions sizing and brand

02 monaco 45ft sig series currently has 275/80/22.5 tire on it that is pushing 8 years old.  I know I need to change them immediately so question is : I would like to have a little taller tire bc with no air in bags it's on the ground.  A friend suggested 295/75/22.5 but is there any advantage of going little taller?  Also right now which is the preferred brand and model tire that is reasonably priced? Same friend said the Toyo M122?  

Thank you all in advance,

Keith

Keith,

There should be a tire placard on the wall just behind the drivers seat.  Your coach should have 295/80R/22.5 Load Range (H) tires.  

If you have 295/75/22.5 tires on the front they are probably overloaded.  

Yes, Toyo tires are very popular with the RV crowd.  

Good luck!

I hope the 275 is not what you have as the brochure calls for 295/80/22.5 so put that size the front and 11R22.5 on the rears…same diameter.

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 1

Keith,

If you are buying new tires because yours are old, that's a great reason to do it.  If you are buying new tires because yours are not the correct size or weight rating for your coach, that's also a great reason to do it.  If raising your coach up further off the ground is your reason, you might want to go to PLAN "B".  The difference in height between your current 275/80 and a 295/75 is 1.25mm.  If you went to a 295/80, you would gain 16mm, or about 0.6 of an inch.  I would guess you are looking for more than that amount.

Carey

Replace with the OEM size...  OR, as a learning experience....look at your Sales brochure (it is online at Monaco Coach).  Check the Axle ratings for the three axles.  THEN so to the tire charts.  Toyo does not or did not have a really good one. 

However, TIRES are TIRES...for the most part, when it comes to the "INDUSTRY STANDARDS".

Here is an old GY chart.  Here is the Toyo chart.  I have looked at Bridgestone and Michelin.  Typically, the Michelin might be a little "lower" but the Bridgestone and Goodyear were within 1% of each other.

Here is the OEM Sales Brochure

https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/user/1469214076_brc_pdf.pdf

The tires, as previously posted, are 295/80R22.5 Load Range H.  That is in the Chassis Suspension section on page 5.

The brochure does not list the 45....but it will be the same as the shorter 42/3.  14.6K (Frt); 20K (Drv); 10K (Tag).

Those inflation tables gives you the correct pressures....to match the axle.  For example.

FRONT.  You need 14.6 Divided by 2 or 7.3K.  GY's chart says 7,320 Pounds (Single) at 115 PSI.  That is exactly what is on the tire plate.

Your TIRES are UNDERSIZED.  You may, unless you weighed and knew the exact corner weights, have been overloaded...and that impacts the load capacity.

Read the tables and also understand how Monaco got the data. Have the new tires inflated per the tire plate or do the calculation and look up yourself.  This is a fundamental skill that a MH owner must have.  THEN.. WEIGH THAT SUCKER.

Find a flat scale at a truck stop....not a raised on.  It needs to have one side "open" as in NO guard rail.  Then drive the MH on it and position it...it might take TWO trips, so you get individual weights per axle.  You should have it fully loaded...as if you were just driving off into the sunset with all your gear and food and PASSENGER(s).  FULL fuel tank.  SUPPOSEDLY full fresh tank.  I use my OWN discretion and rarely, if ever, travel with a full fresh tank.  THAT is when you weigh it.

THEN....drive back onto the scale again....except this time....put ONLY ONE side on the scale pad.  Get your THREE weights (2 trips?) for that side.  Match is simple.  TOTAL vs say LEFT or ROAD SIDE....that is what is on the RIGHT or CURB SIDE.

If you are overloaded....rebalance.  NOW, you can safely, if you desire, reduce the pressures.  You have the exact CORNER (as in the side weights of each axle).

THEN....adjust.  Some folks will interpolate... and use something other than a 5 PSI increment. Monaco sized the tires for the above.

GOOD LUCK...

GOODYEAR RV Inflation.pdf 2017_commercial_loadandinflation_tables.pdf

This works too.

WEIGH YOUR COACH. Four , or Six corner weight is the best, but single axle weights will be OK too. Fuel and water full. Black and Gray tanks empty with your stuff on board. CAT scales at many truck stops. Tell the clerk you want to weigh a coach. There is an intercom at the scale so you can communicate with the clerk. There will be 3 platforms for 3 axles. Steer axle on the  first, Drive on the second, and if applicable, Tag on the third. ***Keep the ENGINE Running, so you stay at Ride Height.*** Get the print out from the clerk. IF you have a tag axle, you may have to adjust your DOWN pressure to move weight as needed. and after adjusting your down pressure on the tag. The pressure regulator is in the left area of the engine compartment.  After adjusting your down pressure on the tag
REWEIGH the coach.  Now go to YOUR tire Mfg. inflation charts for the correct COLD inflation.

Here's a link for a great Michelin publication with lots of good stuff to read.

@Keith Russell,

Check out my post on Navitrac tires here:

@Bill R,

After 8 months and ~4000 miles on these PowerKing Navitrac bus tires, I continue to be astounded by the smooth ride and shock absorption versus my previous Hercules Strong RA tires.

I highly recommend the PowerKing Navitrac bus tires due to the overall ride, excellent handling, and value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1