Big screw up today. Forgot to disconnect power. Comments on replacement.

Pduggs

PDuggs, You are not the first that has made this mistake and I can guarantee you will not be the last. Fortunately you did not suffer any severe damage to the coach.

I have a good friend that owned a 2004 Signature and several years ago went to pull out of his site and had not disconnected the Shore Power Cable. The Cable had a loop in it that went under the coach in front of the Drive Axle Tires and when he pulled forward the Tires road over the cable and the cable ripped out all the bay flooring on the last two bays on the drivers side. After his accident it made me very aware that to never let the shore cable go under the coach or rest in front of the Drive Axle tires and always check that I have disconnected and stored the cable.

Our Foretravel ih-45 has a ton of technology built in to it and it was fairly overwhelming at first learning all the systems and components are integrated in the coach and how they all function..

All the electronic systems in the coach are Silver Leaf. The Chassis Multiplex Systems and the House Multiplex Systems are all manufactured by Silver Leaf.

One of the features of the Silver Leaf System that impresses me the most is the Engine Pre-Start Warning Check list. When I turn on the Ignition switch a Screen with all of the Systems in the coach shows up on the Digital Dash Screen. All the Systems are shown in blocks marked in yellow. I will wait a few minutes and as the systems are energized the yellow warning lights will turn off if all is normal. When I start the engine, everything that is related to the engine and drive train will turn off if everything is normal.

Anything that is not normal will stay lit up in yellow on the screen until I take action to correct it. The system monitors the air leveling, TPMS, steps, slide outs, awnings, generator and bay doors, antenna's, the power cord reel, hose reel and the sewer hose.If any of these components have not been properly stored the warning lights will stay lit and will not allow the coach to go into gear until Corrected. When everything is a go the yellow warning lights turn off and I get a Green Block that tells me "No Errors".

It is a built in check list and prevents us from forgetting anything.

Foretravel/Silver Leaf put a lot of thought and engineering into this system and what I described above is just a small part of what else it does. We have had the coach now for almost six years and I am still learning new things that it will do.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, it can happen to anyone. I took off in the pre dawn hours and after 15 miles, we remembered my cell phone was back home. Traveled back, got the phone and 15 miles later discovered I had been dragging my 50 amp power cord. 😫 I cut off about 15' of the cord and installed a new plug. After replacing it with an oem cord, I added a female end to the takeoff cord and now have a 10' extension when needed. Needless to say before I start out in the morning, my very observant wife asks me " Did you unplugged the cord", among other things. 😗   

12 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

I try to do a full walk around before leaving, looking up at the roof, and under the coach.

Problem is usually neighbors you have met during your stay, coming over to say 'so long'!

Distracts you from what you were doing.

I always do a full walk around while the coach is airing up. Sometimes I catch things that I was sure I had taken care of or meant to.

Nothing like a good preflight walk around. I always start at the nose and work my way to the right and end up at the nose.  If I get distracted, I start from the beginning. Never rush it.

On 10/13/2024 at 10:25 PM, Venturer said:

Needless to say before I start out in the morning, my very observant wife asks me " Did you unplugged the cord", among other things. 😗   

My wife did the same thing directly after our incident in 2012. After a few years later she finally trusted me enough to not have to worry any longer.