Guardian Plates scarring floor tile during retraction. 2007 HR Endeavor flush slide.

Go to solution Solved by throgmartin,

Some 2008 Camelot/Scepters came with no glides on the bottom of the slides. My buddy’s and mine had none. The bottom of the slide just slid up the Delrin ramp.  BTW, no rollers on his or my coach on that flat floor slide.

I started seeing wear on the slide bottom and had Elite RV install aluminum glide plates on three of the fours slides. Depending on the slide Elite used 5”, 7”, or 11” wide plates, made of 3/16“ aluminum . The flat floor slide plate were “skis” as the ends were turned up to not snag on the Delrin ramp. They had been doing this for some time, way before I became aware of Talin.  (Chris, were you plating the slide bottoms before you started making Gaurdian Plates?)

Another friend with a 2008 Scepter had flat floor skis shipped to me as he was on the road and would be by later.  He had the plastic glides on his slide bottom that were cracked so badly pieces were falling out and screws heads digging into the ramps. Bill Willard made short work of getting his glides renewed. He had no rollers, only the glide ramps.

My right front slide has no plates. It has rollers inside rolling on the floor. It also has 3 rollers in the bays that contact the slide bottom. I can see abnormal wear, but inspect often. 

IMG_2692.jpeg

7 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Just as an FYI:

I plated a flush floor slide for a customer in Oregon. He swore his flush floor slide had rollers. I had never seen that setup so I didn't believe him until I seen the picture he sent me. I sent the picture to a buddy who worked in Monaco's R & D department. He told me Monaco made 50 coaches with flush floor slides that had rollers and glide bars. It was an experiment based on a Newmar design.

Over the course of my career, I ended up plating 30 of the 50. If you have a coach with this setup, you have a very rare bird. Monaco dropped that design because it added to the cost of each coach. The additional cost had to be less than $ 20.00. Did the rollers help ? Yes and no. They did prevent sagging in the corners, but it did nothing for floor rot. That issue had to do with the design of the slide itself.

I have a 2004 Imperial 40PDT mid door coach. It has rollers and nylon glides on the flush floor slide. I guess I have a rare bird. 

1 hour ago, Happycarz said:

Some 2008 Camelot/Scepters came with no glides on the bottom of the slides. My buddy’s and mine had none. The bottom of the slide just slid up the Delrin ramp.  BTW, no rollers on his or my coach on that flat floor slide.

IMG_2692.jpeg

Harry, my Scepter came with the 'ski's' as you call them.

They were beginning to crumble on my last trip, before I installed Gauardian Plates on that slide, and removed them. 

Had a wood laminate floor installed in my Cheetah.

Installer said slide went in/out no issues.  I drove it home........... scratches.   Found one end of slide out had rollers with flats on them.  Used plastic strips with rubber backing to put under slider while bringing it in [all ok on the kitchen side].   Having new rollers installed.  Will continue with strips.