Gravity fill location & fill time help

MIRIAM

Need help locating my gravity full port.  I've never used the fresh water tank and only been hooked to city water at parks for the year'ish we have been FT.  I want to begin to use the fresh tank & water pump mainly to keep tank seals or other components from drying out.  I opened the 'fill' valve and watched my Aladdin for the fresh water indicator to go up and it never did.  It was (what seemed) about 2-3 minutes so maybe I didn't wait long enough or I am doing something wrong.  There has to be water going somewhere when I open the 'fill', valve.  I just don't know how long it should take.  I pulled out my manual and it refers to gravity fill, but doesn't actually locate it.  I have the manifold block and mapped that to my manual all looks correct and above (right) there is my fresh water dump open & close along with water pump.  I tried all combinations and not sure if I didn't wait long enough, but I would rather ask than do something stupid.  It does say in the manual, when it is done filling, it will just go out the overflow port, so makes me feel better knowing I won't flood anything if I leave it for a while. (Monitoring every couple minutes)  I just want a general timeframe to expect and where I can put some bleach if I want/need to. (Don't know yet)

I have a 2006 Beaver Monterey with 100 gallon fresh water tank.  Anyone have similar and able to help a girl out?  ✌️🙏

Miriam

I also have an '06 Monterey.  There is NO gravity feed to the fresh water tank, I certainly wish there were.  In order to fill the fresh water tank, you must hook pressurized water to the water inlet and then turn the fresh water fill valve (upper right on the Manibloc) open.  Sadly, the fresh water fill is fairly slow since it is plumbed through the Manibloc which has small diameter tubing.  In campgrounds it often takes me a half hour to fill that 100 gallon tank.  Don't confuse the low-point drains which are on the bottom of the Manibloc with the fresh water fill which is on the top.  Good luck.  If this doesn't make sense, just ask and I will try to answer your questions.  I don't know which Monterey you have, mine is the 36 foot Ventura.  On mine, I can open the bay door just aft of the entry door and watch the fresh water tank fill up so I know how it is progressing.

Richard

p.s. If you are like me and forget to turn the fresh water fill valve back to it's closed position after the tank is full, you will find that the water pump will then suck air and you will not get any water and you will have to go back outside and close that valve.  I have done that too many times over the years.      

I'm fortunate in that the bay door opposite the wet bay had a latch and is hinged so I can watch the tank fill up.  Depending on the pressure/volume of water it can take ~10 minutes to fill the fresh water tank.  My gravity fill is in the wet bay compartment at the top, a larger cap that unscrews and I can insert the end of a hose.   It is very obvious. 

Miriam

I did not ask, but just assumed that you still have the little red handle with the diamond shaped hole that turns the valves on the Manibloc.  The valves are 90 degree ball valves that will turn 90 degrees in either direction on or off.

Richard

17 minutes ago, hex_nut said:

Miriam

I also have an '06 Monterey.  There is NO gravity feed to the fresh water tank, I certainly wish there were.  In order to fill the fresh water tank, you must hook pressurized water to the water inlet and then turn the fresh water fill valve (upper right on the Manibloc) open.  Sadly, the fresh water fill is fairly slow since it is plumbed through the Manibloc which has small diameter tubing.  In campgrounds it often takes me a half hour to fill that 100 gallon tank.  Don't confuse the low-point drains which are on the bottom of the Manibloc with the fresh water fill which is on the top.  Good luck.  If this doesn't make sense, just ask and I will try to answer your questions.  I don't know which Monterey you have, mine is the 36 foot Ventura.  On mine, I can open the bay door just aft of the entry door and watch the fresh water tank fill up so I know how it is progressing.

Richard

p.s. If you are like me and forget to turn the fresh water fill valve back to it's closed position after the tank is full, you will find that the water pump will then suck air and you will not get any water and you will have to go back outside and close that valve.  I have done that too many times over the years.      

OMG - I found my Monterey bestie twin 🤣🤣  I really need someone who has and knows this coach from time to time.  I'm a try to do it first kinda girl, but I don't have pride stopping me from asking someone with experience, too.  I'd rather ask than regret I didn't.

my bay door right after entry is my aqua hot, so it's not there....unless it's behind and I can't see, so I'll look again.

I have Aladdin system on my 40' Montclair IV to monitor progress and everything you said helps!  I was just not waiting long enough with some people on Google saying '5 minutes'  -  30 minutes does make sense and I'll try it again next weekend, unless I have time through the week to mess with it.

do you ever find fluctuations in water pressure for 'no reason' and takes a day or so to get back to 'normal'?  I know it's not because of campers around me, but o don't know if I'm missing a step to properly 'pressurize' my system when I get to a new place or had to disconnect for a reason.  Point in case.....water pressure was fine and I had to change my filter, so disconnected, flushed lines - blah blah - when hooked back up, less pressure and no 'reason' -- I messed a little here and there trying to figure it out and went back to normal.  Then, today, Martin County FD came to the hydrant across the street to flush it - they did what they needed and after they left, pressure low again - like they 'took' all the pressure and it just needs to rebalance.  I almost seem silly mentioning, but has to be that; it's the ONLY thing that happened and pressure was different after they left.

am I missing a step?  Is there something I need to do when I get to a new spot or whatever to 'pressurize' when on city water?  I would think the manual would say, but nothing.....

On mine I had pressure problems and found a Screen in line going into the pump. Kinda like a screen on a water hose. It was screwed into the connection going into the water pump I’m assuming in order to keep debris from the camp ground or water tank from getting into the system. I replaced the little screen and never had problems again. 

Miriam

I don't think there is anything that should cause fluctuations in water pressure.  The only time that has happened to me is when my filter was plugged.  What kind of water pressure regulator do you use?  Those small non-adjustable regulators that screw on the hose are notorious for causing pressure fluctuations.  My fresh water tank is in that first bay mounted just aft of the Hydro-Hot.  Yours is obviously installed somewhere else.  You might look for it to see if you have a visual view of the tank.

You might be interested in joining the Beaver Ambassador Club (BAC).  They have a technical forum of all things Beaver.  The only bad part is that the club is a sub chapter of FMCA and you must be a member of FMCA before you can join BAC.  I really don't care much for FMCA, but I retain my membership just to have access to the BAC Forum.

Our Monterey is our 3rd diesel pusher and by far the best.  I am trying my best to keep it functional as it approaches it's 20th birthday.  Mine has a CAT C9-400 engine from 2004, was built in 2005 and registered as a 2006.  So, it is coming right up on 20 years.  Enjoy your Monterey.

Richard

12 hours ago, Garry Donohue said:

On mine I had pressure problems and found a Screen in line going into the pump. Kinda like a screen on a water hose. It was screwed into the connection going into the water pump I’m assuming in order to keep debris from the camp ground or water tank from getting into the system. I replaced the little screen and never had problems again. 

Thanks - I can see if I have that, but have to take a whole basement panel off to do it, I think, to get to my water pump.  Something doesn't seem right.....shouldn't be so hard to access.  Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try that.

11 hours ago, hex_nut said:

Miriam

I don't think there is anything that should cause fluctuations in water pressure.  The only time that has happened to me is when my filter was plugged.  What kind of water pressure regulator do you use?  Those small non-adjustable regulators that screw on the hose are notorious for causing pressure fluctuations.  My fresh water tank is in that first bay mounted just aft of the Hydro-Hot.  Yours is obviously installed somewhere else.  You might look for it to see if you have a visual view of the tank.

You might be interested in joining the Beaver Ambassador Club (BAC).  They have a technical forum of all things Beaver.  The only bad part is that the club is a sub chapter of FMCA and you must be a member of FMCA before you can join BAC.  I really don't care much for FMCA, but I retain my membership just to have access to the BAC Forum.

Our Monterey is our 3rd diesel pusher and by far the best.  I am trying my best to keep it functional as it approaches it's 20th birthday.  Mine has a CAT C9-400 engine from 2004, was built in 2005 and registered as a 2006.  So, it is coming right up on 20 years.  Enjoy your Monterey.

Richard

Mine could be there and I just never noticed.  I do recall the small 10gallon, but nothing the size of my other holding tanks.  I'm going to look again later.  

I have seen the BAC and unable to participate without joining FMCA.  I haven't decided I wanted to do that yet.

I, too, have the CAT-9 400 which could be same age.  I love this beast..... trying to keep her as happy and healthy as possible. 

thanks a bunch for the help - I'll check back after work.

11 hours ago, hex_nut said:

Miriam

Richard

Forgot to mention, I have the Renator adjustable pressure regulator AND I changed that out yesterday (had a spare) just to check if that could be the culprit.  Didn't make a difference.... uugghh

I bet it's some screen I didn't even know existed so, I'm going to try and trace from input.  I've checked everything inside already.  It always 'fixes itself' within a day or two - just so weird, so figured it's something I don't know, but should.  Better to ask.....

Generically…..there will or should be an inlet bowl filter on the water pump.  NOW, all bets might be off since you do not have the “gravity fill” tank opening…but, my hunch is that you do have a water pump filter.  On some models, you have it “slide into” the storage bay adjacent to the wet bay.  Mine is that way.  There is an interior panel on the side wall of the bay adjacent to the wet bay.  The pump is back there.  The wall panel is a piece of sheet metal….maybe 24” X 18” high.  Held in place with two square drive head screws.  Slide the tray (assuming you have trays) out of the bay adjacent to the wet bay….slide out on the other side…so you can see into the bay. Use a flashlight and look on the side wall of the bay adjacent to the wet bay.

Always use washing machine filter washers on the inlet of the regulator and the inlet hose of the MH….as well as on the back flush hose or fitting….

35 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Generically…..there will or should be an inlet bowl filter on the water pump.  NOW, all bets might be off since you do not have the “gravity fill” tank opening…but, my hunch is that you do have a water pump filter.  On some models, you have it “slide into” the storage bay adjacent to the wet bay.  Mine is that way.  There is an interior panel on the side wall of the bay adjacent to the wet bay.  The pump is back there.  The wall panel is a piece of sheet metal….maybe 24” X 18” high.  Held in place with two square drive head screws.  Slide the tray (assuming you have trays) out of the bay adjacent to the wet bay….slide out on the other side…so you can see into the bay. Use a flashlight and look on the side wall of the bay adjacent to the wet bay.

Always use washing machine filter washers on the inlet of the regulator and the inlet hose of the MH….as well as on the back flush hose or fitting….

Thanks - I know where that panel is and exactly where you said. (I have replaced that cover) I will check for access to the water pump because the only thing I recall was the ice maker water line and a plastic piece blocking from further on.  I need to see how I can get in further to the pump.  I might need to show a picture of I can't figure out how to get in here without removing PEX.

AGAIN... ONE MH layout does not fit all Monaco's.  Typically, the pumps were installed for ease of replacement or service or periodic cleaning of the inlet filters.  There should be a way, without sending in a trained boa constrictor with a GoPro on it's head to access the Pump.  

Mayhaps you should frequent this site as well.  I did the simple google  2006 Beaver Monterey Montclair Water Pump Location...

https://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php?topic=8100.0#:~:text=Re%3A Water pump,-« Reply %232 on&text=If it's similar to our,the large main storage bay.

11 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

AGAIN... ONE MH layout does not fit all Monaco's.  Typically, the pumps were installed for ease of replacement or service or periodic cleaning of the inlet filters.  There should be a way, without sending in a trained boa constrictor with a GoPro on it's head to access the Pump.  

Mayhaps you should frequent this site as well.  I did the simple google  2006 Beaver Monterey Montclair Water Pump Location...

https://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php?topic=8100.0#:~:text=Re%3A Water pump,-« Reply %232 on&text=If it's similar to our,the large main storage bay.

Yes, as mentioned, I know where the removable panel is because I replaced it (the wood) before.  I just didn't recall seeing a water pump in there - however - I, just went back down to take it off and VOILA - lookie there.  I just never noticed the water pump before and never really needed to until now.  (So, now i know)

I also didn't realize the water still passes through the water pump even if it's not 'on' - manual doesn't say that.

The screen looks good and I noticed the water pump was replaced in 2019-2020 (mfg date 2019) 

next move I'm going to take the screen off, but pressure is back to 'normal' 

I'm learning....thanks to everyone!

C3F77662-0F8D-4CAC-88D0-9BC843253B44.jpeg

A784C25A-E4F6-41F8-88D6-8FB2DBA6E16C.jpeg

Why would city water be passing throught the pump and it's little filter? Yes, it would pass it through but would not make sense to do it that way. I have the same pump, adequate for our boondocking style and just replaced for same spare a couple of days ago when the built-in backflow got stuck. It will pass water through it under pressure in correct direction. I would more suspect a presence of factory restrictor in the city inlet plumbing, had to remove ours. Looked like a long brass fitting right behind the hose connection.

31 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

I would more suspect a presence of factory restrictor in the city inlet plumbing, had to remove ours. Looked like a long brass fitting right behind the hose connection.

So, most of us are running a pressure regulator in front of a factory installed restrictor?

{edit} Just remembered, I have a reel. So if they installed a reducer, it would have to be around there.

Edited by 96 EVO

46 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

So, most of us are running a pressure regulator in front of a factory installed restrictor?

{edit} Just remembered, I have a reel. So if they installed a reducer, it would have to be around there.

I've seen those at the spigot at other places, but this CG doesn't.  I do have a "y" attached to city water spigot and  adjustable regulator on one side. I tested the other side and water is great flow -- disconnected my regulator and verified both sides of the splitter flow the same (had that problem before with one side restricted in y - so knew to check that) - both are good.  I ran the water until it came out the other side of my hose (clear) and let it run a bit (put a little peroxide in the hose to flush) and plugged it up to City valve on the coach, which has the Shur-Flo regulator built in.

What's odd about it, it does 'fix itself' in about 2 or so days, so that's what makes me think I'm missing a step.....somewhere.  I just can't think what it could be.  It's like the line isn't fully pressurized, but the pump is self-priming and not even being 'used' with regulator(s) being fine and just 'fixes itself' in a couple days.  To me, if it were a leak or something causing no pressure to build in the line, I should have found - opened all cabinets, bays, etc....

it's so odd.....

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Why would city water be passing throught the pump and it's little filter? Yes, it would pass it through but would not make sense to do it that way. I have the same pump, adequate for our boondocking style and just replaced for same spare a couple of days ago when the built-in backflow got stuck. It will pass water through it under pressure in correct direction. I would more suspect a presence of factory restrictor in the city inlet plumbing, had to remove ours. Looked like a long brass fitting right behind the hose connection.

Thanks - will see if I find the same.

31 minutes ago, MIRIAM said:

Thanks - will see if I find the same.

This is what ours looked like. It was randomly limiting pressure until it totally stopped flow. The internals fell apart. I would think Monaco used same or similar cheap pressure protection on all rigs.

Screenshot_20240930_122510_Amazon Photos.jpg