Moving Factory Speakers to Ceiling

96landyacht

Our coach came with two cabinet-mounted speakers next to the TV.  The left one will be blocked by the flat screen I'm mounting over the old cabinet that held the tube TV, and I'd like to move the two cabinet speakers to the ceiling directly above the driver and passenger seat.  Does anyone know what trouble I'll run into if I start drilling away at the ceiling in that area?  This photo shows the next pair of speakers that are already in the ceiling about halfway back.

IMG_20240929_183603_964.jpg

One is always at risk of DRILLING or cutting or going anywhere in the ceiling of a MH or a Monaco.  There is a maze of wires and also different construction.  NOW, if someone DOES have hands on experience....GREAT.  But, other than that....you are driving in the jungle with out a roadmap or GPS. 

You CAN do some TEST cuts....and then insert a spy camera and figure out WHERE to go and if it will work.  Personally, the suggestion of a SOUND BAR might make sense or USE a Center Channel Speaker in the middle and turn the rear ones in the Left and Right.

Have a Plan for a "WHITE" cover plate to disguise your cuts....if you find it is impossible.  Proceed at your own risk and try to get into that area from the front...with a spy camera.  They work great and are cheap and you only need the 36" or 48" flex cord or cable.  Use a Tablet of a PC for a larger picture.  Phones are great if you have X-Ray vision like Superman.  My eyes need the larger screen size...

23 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

If you go this route, do some research, and don't buy a 'cheap' one!

I've not ever been impressed by a sound bar.  I just want to move the existing (working) speakers so the left one isn't behind the TV.

On 9/30/2024 at 11:49 AM, Tom Cherry said:

One is always at risk of DRILLING or cutting or going anywhere in the ceiling of a MH or a Monaco.  There is a maze of wires and also different construction.  NOW, if someone DOES have hands on experience....GREAT.  But, other than that....you are driving in the jungle with out a roadmap or GPS. 

You CAN do some TEST cuts....and then insert a spy camera and figure out WHERE to go and if it will work.  Personally, the suggestion of a SOUND BAR might make sense or USE a Center Channel Speaker in the middle and turn the rear ones in the Left and Right.

Have a Plan for a "WHITE" cover plate to disguise your cuts....if you find it is impossible.  Proceed at your own risk and try to get into that area from the front...with a spy camera.  They work great and are cheap and you only need the 36" or 48" flex cord or cable.  Use a Tablet of a PC for a larger picture.  Phones are great if you have X-Ray vision like Superman.  My eyes need the larger screen size...

I was wondering what the "layers" might be like above the plywood that holds the headliner.  Is there a void across the entire ceiling for wiring, etc., or are there only raceways between insulation for the wiring from the factory?  I had a little bit of luck chasing a raceway from the nose cone to the kitchen, and then I had to drill from that one over to catch the HVAC ducting to make it the rest of the way back.  The HVAC ducting will prove to be a nice raceway now for me to put wiring into for future projects.  I've abandoned the rooftop A/C units and installed two mini split units to replace them.