Need help on Sunshade Mounting Brackets (Cruise Control &, 5 button thermostat have been removed from this topic)

Fred L

1) This past week, cruise control worked heading north for 2 days, did not work on return 2 day trip. The light does not come on when pressing the smart wheel button.

2) (The front heater would come on and shut down after a few minutes. This started on the way north in April.)  While parked the front heater would only work when in the heat pump position. Heat pump did not come on.  Felt the heater needed service. Went to use the heat pump instead and that's when the furnace came on. The next day it worked fine using the furnace setting. I think the 5 button thermostat is bad.

3) While driving down I-95 in CN into NY, the road is so bad we hit one bump that caused the sun shade above driver to break the plastic mounting brackets. There is no name on on the shade. Hoping to find replacement brackets. Made 3 calls so far, and the dealer comment is the unit is too old for parts and Monaco is out of business. I'm sure this type of shade was being used in newer coaches.

I did search the A/C section and did not see any thermostat sections that seemed to fit my situation. And the cruise section talked about Smart Wheel test, but could not find that test either.

Anyway, any direction would be appreciated.

Your sunshade is probably made by Carefree.  I had the mounting brackets break on ours also.  I could not get just the brackets (they have changed the design) and had to order a new shade.  

Richard gave you good advice on your Smartwheel and resetting your Dometic Comfort Control Center thermostat.  Your heater as well as the Heat Pump are commanded through your AC system.  You may also have to clean the RJ11 (telephone cord) connectors up under the AC unit (where your filter is). 

Thanks to both of you for direction.

I did try the reset, while working on other normal things that break (ie, hinges) and cleaning refrigerator for storage till January.

The reset seemed to work. This unit I purchased new in fall 2003. Was a show model. I have all info supplied when purchased. I looked again about the manual. The only thing I have is a 4 page small users manual that tells you how to set the temp and zones. Doesn't surprise me. Over the years I've found other stuff not included in the Monaco box.

Since everything is carefree that would make sense. I just had to replace the cover over the passenger side front slide. Easy to do, not inexpensive. I'll call to see what they have. I believe I can make out of flat aluminum new mounting brackets. Carefree had a buy through dealership mentality before, but they sold to me direct for the slide cover. (I understand why, since I worked in distributor business.) Surprised when they said they'd sell direct. The shutter unit have white paper that i guess use to have the model and number. Time does funny things.

I'll spend some time trying to find the Smart Wheel software. Strange that it just didn't start up after working find going north.

ABSOLUTELY THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU. 

Hi Fred.  I had the same issue with the Carefree shade mounting bracket and as previously mentioned, there are no parts available.  I found some 1" square aluminum stock from an old tv antenna and fashioned a short piece long enough to go over the broken end.  It took a little stretching of the square stock but not much.  I then found a small spacer to put between the square stock so a screw could be put through the repair to re-attach the shade when the repair was complete.  I filled the square stock with JB weld and let it dry.  When everything was dry, I re-attached the shade and it's been working for over two years.  This fix might work if it was just the ear of the bracket that broke off.  Good luck.  

20230708_152720.jpg

20230708_152854.jpg

20230806_170431.jpg

20230806_170441.jpg

Edited by tlhurlbut

@Fred L

This topic is now limited to the Carefree Shade.  

ALL.  Please respond with information concerning this.

It is suggested that @Fred L do a Search of the TOPICS and then download the VIP manual and read the troubleshooting guide.  If this research does not resolve the problem, then it might be more advantageous to make a post for help on an existing VIP Trouble Topic.  There are probably 10 or more topics on the VIP Smart Wheel. 

This issue is similar to another topic....on going.  Please review and post for help there.

When my shades broke I used the strapping with all the holes that plumbers use to hang pipes. Cut it to desired length, had some dark hammered paint around, and screwed into the plywood thru the upholstery. It goes over the end on the shade, holds tight and looks good. You can also get the same strapping with holes but plastic. If using that I would probably double up. I carry some of both with me as multiple uses in emergencies when on the road. Good luck, Don

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Need help on Sunshade Mounting Brackets (Cruise Control &, 5 button thermostat have been removed from this topic)

Hi Fred.  If you choose to go the square stock route, I could not find it using a goodle search or seaching metal companies.  I had an old tv antenna that had 1" square thin wall tube.  The wall thickness is about 1/32".  If you have a metal recycler in your area, contact them and see if they have any old tv antenna material.  It's the main tube that the ears attach to.  I left my name at a local metal recycler and it took several weeks, but I finally got a call and they had an old tv antenna turned in.  It cost me but when parts or the correct material is not available, price isn't an option,.  As a result, I now have a 5'8" piece of 1" square thin wall tube for future repairs.  The piece I used to make the repair was approximately 1" long, just enough to cover broken ear and extend past the mounting screw location.  The metal spacer was used to make sure the mounting screw aligned correctly for mounting.  The thin wall is necessary so it can be expanded slightly to fit around the old shade mounting tab.  Carefree should have made the mounting tab much thicker.  Good luck with the hunt for 1" square 1/32" thin wall aluminum tube.   If you can't find the square stock, PM me and we can work out something.  

Thanks for all the info. I’ve got a couple days to kick around the process. 
I’m still trying to figure out why the cruise light won’t come on. I’ll assume it’s not getting power. Everything works on the Smart Wheel except the cruise. Just starting to look at the control module. 
Still, I appreciate your feedback. 
thanks

Fred Latch