Wiper Pivot Arm

Well, I left Tuesday AM on my west coast trip.  Got about 4 hours from home and a heavy rain came up.  So using the wipers as needed, High, Low, varied speeds.  After about an hour I heard a pop and the passenger side wiper quit.  Keep driving with the drivers side, decided to continue trip and take a look when I got a chance.  Made to Rapid City SD yesterday AM and took a look.

There is a short lever arm off the Wiper Pivot Shaft, it is welded on.  The weld broke.  Was able to remove the wiper & Pivot shaft.  Took a while to figure out how to get the ball joint loose, finally figured it must just be a pressed type fit, so pried it off. 

Then had to take a dremel tool with file attachment and cleaned up the end of the shaft so it fit back tight. 

When I stopped for fuel I asked an attendant where I could get a small piece welded and he recommended Excel Truck and Trailer repair about 1/4 mile away.   Stopped in there and asked if they could weld. the woman behind the counter took it to the back and came and said NO PROBLEM and it would be welded and they'd bring it back up front.   Went to the coach to check some stuff and ~10 minuets later came back in an the pivot arm was sitting on the counter.  Pulled out my wallet to pay and she said "no charge"!!!

Plan on putting it back together today, I'm parked in Hardin MT and will visit Battle of Little Big Horn today.

Wiper pivot arm broke.jpg

Wiper pivot arm together not welded.jpg

Wiper pivot arm fixed.jpg

• Like 6

So I got the wiper back on but plan on replacing the pivot arm when I get home

There is/was a spring type washer on the shaft, had rig up a of getting it off.  I think this keeps the shaft in the in/out centered position.  But I was very tight going on and I didn't want to put too much force on the acorn nut the holds the wiper arm on. 

But I got it together and seems to be working, so I'm not going to press my luck

Considering the amount of rotations I was surprised and the minimal wear on the ball joint and shaft.  I put liberal amount so of grease on in when I put it back together. 

Now have to try and hunt parts.  I have the parts page and REVRVPARTS.com has them at an outrageous price, so just have to find a better source.