Engine rock shield

I was just under my MH to take an oil sample and noticed that the rock/debris shield was dangerously close to the positive terminal on the starter. I myself have never had it down, only the oil change places. My question is does the shield belong under the starter or pointing up as shown in the attached photo?

Thanks, Dennis

IMG_6655.jpeg

klcdenver is right. It was meant to protect the oil filter. Back in 2005 when we purchased our 2005 40pdq Endeavor I got tired of removing the entire rock guard so I took it down one final time to cut off that small vertical section where it meets the larger portion and welded a hinge there so when you have to change the oil filter you would just unbolt the vertical section at the frame with one nut and drop it down out of the way. Somewhere up above should be(memory serves me)a stud on the frame where it should connect. Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Good idea Chuck, just might have to do that when I drop the shield to change the filter. However, the one I’m concerned with is on the other side (passenger), the way it’s installed, it doesn’t protect much.