2007 Dynasty - Batteries Charging at 80 amps.

Fireboss

I have a 2007 Monaco Dynasty.

When I'm hooked to shore power the batteries are charging at 13.6 v and 80 amps.

When not connected to shore power but with the engine running House batteries are charging at 13.7 v and 95 amps

This just started everything was fine the day before. Any help. would be great.

Thank you, Ross R.

Two totally different charging  sources.

It would be nice to have that engine charging current on my RV. Not really necessary but would be kind of cool.

30 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

13.6v sounds like float charging voltage.

How long have you been hooked up to shore power?

Sounds like the batteries are down a bit on charge to take that much power.  What's the issue?  Was it charging less before?

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2007 Dynasty - Batteries Charging at 80 amps.
2 hours ago, Fireboss said:

I have a 2007 Monaco Dynasty.

When I'm hooked to shore power the batteries are charging at 13.6 v and 80 amps.

When not connected to shore power but with the engine running House batteries are charging at 13.7 v and 95 amps

This just started everything was fine the day before. Any help. would be great.

Thank you, Ross R.

Edited your signature.  So not double post or repeat.

The Magnum will only charge up to 80 or 100 A.  Depends on the setting.  Here are two “resources”.  Read them.

Your house, and maybe your chassis, are not charged.  You need to check the electrolyte level.  You need to properly set up the Magnum.  The Alternator when you drive….doesn’t know flooded from AGM or Lithium or the Energizer Bunny.  It just pumps our current.  You have a proprietary PCB in the back.  It will engage a solenoid when one bank is down or the other.  When both banks are charged….it drops out and the banks are not connected.

This works the same for Shore (50 A).  EXCEPT….you have a much better charger.  It is a 3 Stage charger.  You need to be monitoring the Magnum remote….not the Aladdin.  The voltage you posted is still close to the BULK or sock-it-to-me state. 

If your House bank is low on water….not good and they will take more current.  They may be bad.  No way to know until you read… SO read Sections 8 and 9 in the manual.  Then read the two files below.

FWIW….you can NOT yank the House and carry to an auto supplier or shops and say….TEST.  Only way is outlined in the battery section….understand SOC or State of Charge is imperative. You CAN have the Chassis batteries tested….but beware….these places SELL NEW ONES….sometimes their testing or understanding is biased… Learning about how your charging and batteries work is very important…

Eventually, if the banks….as in the Magnum is charging BOTH BANKS…like hooking up a jumper cable between them will keep the voltage and current up.  Eventually the charger should change to Absorb….voltage will drop and current will come down.  Then…FLOAT…

BUT if there is a bad battery in either bank….the Magnum and your BiDirectional charging system….will keep pumping current….as in one or more of the cells ic shorted or a battery is now a big resistor and the other batteries are NOT CHARGING.  All is explained….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Sounds like the batteries are down a bit on charge to take that much power.  What's the issue?  Was it charging less before?

Problem with that is, if the batteries were down a bit, it would be in 'bulk' or 'absorb' charge mode, and displaying 14+ volts @ 80A

Which batteries?  Chassis or Coach?  I presume Coach, but . . . .

For the 2nd time my chassis batteries showed ~10% despite battery switch in 'off' position.  After charging they quickly bled down to 10%.  Checked individual leads and 0 ma on all circuits except the one going through the switch (100 ma).  So, nothing drawing the battery down.

Separate the 2 chassis batteries and one was 12.9V while the other was 11.3V.

I bought 2 new batteries today . . . .

@Fireboss you could have a bad battery, either in your chassis pair or coach set, drawing all that current.  Check them out individually.

- bob

3 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Which batteries?  Chassis or Coach?  I presume Coach, but . . . .

For the 2nd time my chassis batteries showed ~10% despite battery switch in 'off' position.  After charging they quickly bled down to 10%.  Checked individual leads and 0 ma on all circuits except the one going through the switch (100 ma).  So, nothing drawing the battery down.

Separate the 2 chassis batteries and one was 12.9V while the other was 11.3V.

I bought 2 new batteries today . . . .

@Fireboss you could have a bad battery, either in your chassis pair or coach set, drawing all that current.  Check them out individually.

- bob

Bob, I agree.

80A DC current should be pushing much more than 13.6v at the battery bank!